Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
colins

SB 4.0 Holder

For the SB or E-Pro holder experts out there - is there a torque spec for tightening the screw/nut on those when swapping steel? I always cranked them pretty tight assuming that the are designed to bottom out on the depth of the screw, but is that actually the case? If you're just using a short screwdriver you're kind of limited anyways, but with a 8mm socket is there a risk of over-tightening and damaging the plastic in the holder?

Bonus question - why do some pros like Crosby and like in the recent Subban locker room pic prefer the E-Pro over the SB 4.0? Is it noticeably stiffer? Also a different height, right? Just something they are used to as opposed to a clear performance issue?

colins

Hand tight is best.  It's easier now that the screw was redesigned - the original PL3 screw didn't have the lip on the end, so it was really easy to sink it into the holder.

You're just going to have to come to grips that the screws will loosen up (as they're side-loaded and don't lock into the holder itself, so impact/vibration gets them loose) and that you'll have to tighten them constantly.

E-Pro is indeed softer and shorter.  

2 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Hand tight is best.  It's easier now that the screw was redesigned - the original PL3 screw didn't have the lip on the end, so it was really easy to sink it into the holder.

You're just going to have to come to grips that the screws will loosen up (as they're side-loaded and don't lock into the holder itself, so impact/vibration gets them loose) and that you'll have to tighten them constantly.

E-Pro is indeed softer and shorter.  

Ok, I've been using the blue loctite but I think I'm over cranking them with the T socket driver I've been using.

I noticed it seems to cause the plastic by the runner to flare out ever so slightly from the steel right above the screws if you go too tight. 

colins

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stick9 said:

@colins careful with the locktite. Some variants will actually eat away at plastics. 

Good advice to be careful with applying it. The CCM screws come with blue loctite from the factory. The loctite isn't exposed to the plastic, unless you put on a big blob and it seeps out from the threads/nut. Just requires a small touch, worked into the threads, and only if the factory stuff has worn off.

21 hours ago, colins said:

Ok, I've been using the blue loctite but I think I'm over cranking them with the T socket driver I've been using.

I noticed it seems to cause the plastic by the runner to flare out ever so slightly from the steel right above the screws if you go too tight. 

colins

Yep, that's too much if you're bowing the plastic.

14 hours ago, stick9 said:

@colins careful with the locktite. Some variants will actually eat away at plastics. 

Great advice. This has happened to me before in other application. A tiny bit is all you need.