Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
IPv6Freely

Two Different Size Skates

Took my wife to be fitted for some new skates. Did the Bauer scan and she ended up coming up as a Supreme 6D on her left foot and a Supreme 4.5D on her right foot (and recommended 6D overall).

Yes, 1.5 full size difference. It still seems crazy to me.

Anyway, we went for a skate after baking them and she loves the feel of her left foot but unsurprisingly her right foot is having problems. So, short of buying a second pair of skates (which I’ll do as a last resort but would obviously prefer not to), can anyone offer suggestions?

She said the biggest problem spot is on the inside heel area. I’m thinking maybe a neoprene ankle sleeve would be an option, or hell maybe even just a thicker sock. I already ordered speed plates for her because frankly the footbed in these is by far the worst I’ve ever seen in a skate. But I’m not really expecting them to help much. Maybe getting that spot punched out, but knowing the skate is too big I’m not sure how effective that would really be either.

These are $199 skates so even if I have to buy a second pair it’s still half the price of what my skates cost so I’m not completely against the idea if it means she’ll actually skate with me.

E0F797FF-6E6F-47A6-98C2-EE5C904564FB.jpeg

10 minutes ago, caveman27 said:

Interesting. Since 4.5 is Junior size, it's probably cheaper than the senior S27.

I hadn't even thought of that. The Jr size is $150. That makes it much more palatable as a solution.

3 minutes ago, Fire Walker said:

If she were to wear 2 different size skates she might have an issue with the different runner sizes. Not sure if larger runner would line up with the smaller skate.

Yeah, she may. And I agree putting the longer holder on the small skate is probably something that should be done if possible, but if not she'll have to just live with it. Fitting her foot is far more important anyway.

Note: She's not a hockey player, this is just for public skating. So I'm not super worried about her performance being affected or anything. 

Howdy,

11 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Note: She's not a hockey player, this is just for public skating. So I'm not super worried about her performance being affected or anything. 

That screams "wear a thicker sock" etc. to me.

Mark

8 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Yup, just like that. Or what I was originally thinking of was something like this https://www.icewarehouse.com/Ezeefit_2mm_Ankle_Booties/descpage-EZ2MMN.html

The ezeefit 2mm booties are great, I wear them all the time now since I had heel surgery.

Re sizes, how much room (length wise) does she have in a 6D? Maybe buy size 5 and punch the hell out of the toe cap and then stretch for width if needed (might need EE)?

I’m not sure but I would prefer to not mess with the one skate that fits perfectly. I dunno. Well try thicker socks, then some sort of padding, then buy a pair of 4.5 and a pair of 5 and try those

Short of buying the smaller size pair or customs, you could try Stable 26 socks (check out the ski version if you need to fill a lot of room), and then add a Bunga pad sleeve (or equivalent) over those.  Also add a Powerfoot insert.  Might be a bit of overkill though, but for just recreational skating, might work.

On a side note does your wife wear two different shoe sizes? If so, Nordstrom will let you by one from each size for the price of only one pair.