Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
ReggieDunlop

Actual Blade Length

Curious why actual blade lengths differ from brands of holders.  I thought a measurement from point A to point B was a static finite number.  For example Grafs cobras on a size 10.5 boot have a 288 mm stamped on the steel.   Bauer's have a 288 mm on a size 10 boot and is slightly longer in length steel more like a 290 mm.  Now I received a pair of CCM's FT1's with SB 4.0 holders and ordered new steel and the blade length is even longer than the Bauer's in length (maybe a 292 mm and labeled as 287).  Why?  Why not use the true size measurement?  -Having more steel on the ice creates a feeling of skating on ski's that I know profiling can somewhat change  - but why do they do this?  I was having some issues going from Graf skates to Bauer's because of the extra steel on the ice - figured the CCM labeled 287's would be a safe bet to have less contact only to find out the steel is actually longer.  There are some benefits I have gain some speed, but lost some agility until I profiled to a 6/8/12 and changed my cut from 5/8 to 13/16 (fbv 90/75 to 90/50) to address the chattering.  I wanted a lighter boot with slightly less steel than the Bauer 1s's and failed with the numbers provided - any reason why?  Besides just trying to make themselves proprietary to the industry from their Engineer concepts -is there a reason? I know my skating style and I am more agile with less blade contact and thought I finally got it right,  but getting hurt occasionally falling because of the additional steel making contact -  thanks   

Taller people have longer feet, providing more longitudenal stability needed due to their height.

For single-radius-profiles: Longer blades provide a longer base for the contact area to move forward and backwards. It´s like the length of the rocker of a rocking chair. The profile-radius of a blade is like the curvature of the rocker of a rocking chair and defines the length of the contact area with the ice. 4mm blade length shouldn´t make any difference. Profiling makes the difference for agility, speed and stability.

Curious why each company makes different size steel and labels it the same size or similar number but are not - I understand profiling and contact - Maybe I should've profiled the longest blades with a 7/11 combo knowing more steel - give slightly less contact than a triple  - just never noticed length are so different and adds to the science of agility skating with boot fitting/make/model/pitch/profile all contribute to skating.  Some pro like a longer blade and move up a holder/blade length

Edited by ReggieDunlop

6 hours ago, flip12 said:

Did you have all of those various steels profiled?

yes - on the Grafs I had 8/12 combo 90/75 cut - 1s steel has 6/8/12 triple 90/50 cut - but I went through several different profiles with Quad's/Custom profiles to get it similar to having shorter steel feel and a different profile.  I am getting my steel back soon with same 6/8/12 90/50 and hoping my new boots CCM FT1's  give me better control of the blades with either Super Feet Carbon or Speed Plates installed depending on boot pitch provided.  Had Shock Doctors in Bauer's.  

16 minutes ago, hockeydad3 said:

Different skates and insoles can also have a big influence on the behaviour of a profile/cut. You are changing a lot of variables at the same time.

yes that was my problem when I started - I was slipping my (under) boot while crossing over - skates were sharp 90/75 just not enough contact while transitioning -I am a bigger player 6'3" and long strides -  so profile change was needed -while I was looking into it my teammate skates noticed how much heavier my skates were and his MX3's seemed like half the weight after a game - so then I wanted lighter skates - bought the supreme 1s skates and noticed the length difference and had to find a good profile to match my skating - so yes you're correct - changed everything - but I think I have some things isolated down and doing it again with a different boot - Idiots rule - glutton for punishment.  Slightly disappointed when I noticed the CCM steel is even longer with 287 stamped on the holder - I'm sure I'll be fine with same profile selected and either insole will give more pitch or neutral depending on feel.

Edited by ReggieDunlop