Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Oilers97

Helmet screws stuck and just spin in place?

Hi! I’m having some issues with my vector 8 helmet. Basically on one side the screws keep getting stuck. I all ready had one screw removed today at the LHS and they just recommended putting a new washer part (I have a few) in and it should be fine. Nope. Now the other screw on that side is spinning and I need to get a cage on this helmet. Does anyone know what to do and more importantly stop it from happening? My other v08 doesn’t have this issue. 

3 hours ago, caveman27 said:

You need to lift up the padding inside the helmet. Usually, the nut side has a slot in it to use a screwdriver.

Hockey-Helmet-Short-Back-Nut.jpg

One has the slit (I just replaced it) the other is the stock screw and it doesn’t have the same slit (it’s very very small. I’ll try pliers). How do I prevent this in the future? 

Howdy,

1 hour ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

Locktite and drying it 

If he loctite's the screw into the t-nut, it'll make it worse, not better.

For the OP... you need to increase the friction between the t-nut and the helmet itself.  You could maybe try using epoxy to glue the t-nut in place (let it fully dry before putting a screw into the t-nut, but mostly I would just go with "get to the back of the t-nut when it happens again".

Mark

3 minutes ago, marka said:

Howdy,

For the OP... you need to increase the friction between the t-nut and the helmet itself.  You could maybe try using epoxy to glue the t-nut in place (let it fully dry before putting a screw into the t-nut, but mostly I would just go with "get to the back of the t-nut when it happens again".

Mark

Okay. Will go buy epoxy. I did try super glue and alas the same issue happened. One screw is completely stuck. I freed the one. It has the original hardware and I’m thinking pliers is my solution. Just gotta go get a smaller needle nose. 

2 hours ago, Oilers97 said:

One has the slit (I just replaced it) the other is the stock screw and it doesn’t have the same slit (it’s very very small. I’ll try pliers). How do I prevent this in the future? 

doesn't have a slit? Did you buy a used helmet? Sounds like someone may have used lacrosse helmet nuts.

I would recommend buying a helmet repair kit, like "Howies Hockey Helmet Repair Kit" and replace all the nuts that aren't regular helmet nuts. 

1 hour ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Mark

Locktite blue is removable. The problem is sweat and moisture corroding the threads in there and they rust together. Blue locktite will help inhibit that, but letting those parts see the light of day and dry will do the most good. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Mark

Blue Loctite is a rust inhibitor and is removable.  So it would likely help long term.

• Like 1

Howdy,

7 hours ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

Locktite blue is removable. The problem is sweat and moisture corroding the threads in there and they rust together. Blue locktite will help inhibit that, but letting those parts see the light of day and dry will do the most good. 

I mean, yeah, blue is better than red, but the purpose of either is still to stick the threads together and prevent them from backing out.

If your goal is to stop corrosion, use a little oil on the threads, anti-seize, or a product designed to do that.  Blue Loctite isn't that.

Mark

Sweat is nasty stuff, much worse than straight up water. It's not how do I prevent it, it's how do I slow it down.

I had wished the titanium cage came with titanium hardware, it should for the price. If parts were more standardized they could be replaced with nylon screws. 

• Like 1