Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
MCornell

ProSharp vs. Cag One question

Hi guys. Sorry for long winded question here but looking for some advice from anyone who has experience with both ProSharp and Cag One profiles. 

I skate nearly everyday and have used 9/10’ for roughly 5 years on a 272 tuuk. I live close to the ProSharp office so I started playing around with different profiles this summer out of curiosity. I originally tried the Zuperior S, but felt a little long in the heel. I then tried a Quad 0 for a skate, and it felt closer. 

I had a skate issue (Listed in “Is this holder mounted properly” ), but my trainer thought it was more of a steel issue that was causing concern (steel was in fact bent). After looking at Quad 0 on my blade, I was told there was hardly any blade on the ice and it was actually balanced behind center. He is a Cag One guy, and said he could fix my edge balance concerns with a new profile - gave me a 35/65 on the Cag. He explained I would feel like I was on rails a bit but would improve stability and I’d adapt. I’ve used it for 6-7 skates now and it feels way too long still unfortunately. I went back to some old 9/10’ steel I had kicking around today and it felt like I had nothing there on my blades now. Wasn’t sure if it was because it was old and worn/sharpened steel or if it was because I was missing the longer contact area  

My question or need for advice would be - do I go back to a 9/10’ if I didn’t have any issues prior. Do I go down in CagOne to say 30/50? Do I try the Quad 0 again as I’ve been told the holder is mounted correctly. Open to any suggestions - I’m not too proficient in the science of it all, and don’t know how much flat spot I’d be losing with the 9/10 or Quad 0. I obviously liked the straight ahead aspect of the 35/65 but felt like my agility was squashed. Thanks for your time/help in advance gang.

Edited by MCornell

I skate on 280's, I found my preference was a 35/55 CagOne profile. When I moved on to ProSharp, I didn't care for the Quad I tried, you may want to try the Hudson V (Glide 50).

One thing to consider, if you're skating every day, and sharpening often, is getting the profile redone 1-2 times per year, to ensure its staying consistent. 

• Like 1