Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Oilers97

Gloves with the best finger protection?

Hi guys. I currently have a pair of ultra Tacks which I love the feel and fit of but I twice in one game got hit in the fingers and bruised them. One I almost broke, other just stung. I’m thinking about just switching back to my franchise but as much as I love them, they don’t fit me the best overall. They seem a tad too big and my hand mobility is less than the ccm gloves. 

I cant find any new hgtkxp gloves in my area in a 13” (I’ve heard they were a great option and similar to mine) and I’d also much prefer to try them on. I’m willing to try any fit to be honest. 

Have you checked out www.prostockhockey.com ?

Not sure about fit for you, but I have a pair of 14" CCM HG41 pro stock gloves from them, and they have a lot of padding everywhere. Every piece of foam has a polyethelene plate on it. It's quite solid, non-flex thumb guard, and stiff in the cuff so i get a bit of less hand mobility. 

They have some CCM models with shot blockers on them.

Edited by caveman27

1 hour ago, Oilers97 said:

Hi guys. I currently have a pair of ultra Tacks which I love the feel and fit of but I twice in one game got hit in the fingers and bruised them. One I almost broke, other just stung. I’m thinking about just switching back to my franchise but as much as I love them, they don’t fit me the best overall. They seem a tad too big and my hand mobility is less than the ccm gloves. 

I cant find any new hgtkxp gloves in my area in a 13” (I’ve heard they were a great option and similar to mine) and I’d also much prefer to try them on. I’m willing to try any fit to be honest. 

See if you can find a Vapor 1X Pro glove. Very well built and protective glove.

Link for reference.

https://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-hockey-gloves-vapor-1x-pro-sr.html

• Like 1

8 hours ago, caveman27 said:

Have you checked out www.prostockhockey.com ?

Not sure about fit for you, but I have a pair of 14" CCM HG41 pro stock gloves from them, and they have a lot of padding everywhere. Every piece of foam has a polyethelene plate on it. It's quite solid, non-flex thumb guard, and stiff in the cuff so i get a bit of less hand mobility. 

They have some CCM models with shot blockers on them.

Yes. No way am I paying 70USD for shipping. Absolute joke. I wish I was kidding... 

8 hours ago, stick9 said:

Link for reference.

I was looking at some on a huge markdown at a store. Are the retail ones any good or should I go pro stock?

5 hours ago, Oilers97 said:

Yes. No way am I paying 70USD for shipping. Absolute joke. I wish I was kidding... 

Oh, I paid $15 for shipping to an address in the US. Regular fedex.

13 hours ago, stick9 said:

Link for reference.

I second this.  They're incredibly protective/durable and have the pro cuff, which is great.  They do have some drawbacks imo.  They do feel heavy and the palms are of a pretty thick material.

If you want the most protective look for pro stock CCM gloves labelled XP, which stands for extra protection. They use a thick piece of D3O instead of normal foams for the finger and backhand protection. In all of my protective tests I have found those the best with the Bauers trailing very slightly behind.

A bunch of non-XP gloves have the D3O in them but it is harder to tell unless you can see them in person.

The Bauer retail Pro lines are VERY close to the pro stock ones. They use Poron for instead of "standard" foams. My only issue with the Bauer is side index finger protection is too hard and not thick enough. I took a slap shot there and broke my finger. Warrior DX gloves were a huge improvement in protection compared to the old ones, and I bring them up because Warrior has the best protection on the index finger area.

1 hour ago, Hills said:

If you want the most protective look for pro stock CCM gloves labelled XP, which stands for extra protection. They use a thick piece of D3O instead of normal foams for the finger and backhand protection. In all of my protective tests I have found those the best with the Bauers trailing very slightly behind.

A bunch of non-XP gloves have the D3O in them but it is harder to tell unless you can see them in person.

The Bauer retail Pro lines are VERY close to the pro stock ones. They use Poron for instead of "standard" foams. My only issue with the Bauer is side index finger protection is too hard and not thick enough. I took a slap shot there and broke my finger. Warrior DX gloves were a huge improvement in protection compared to the old ones, and I bring them up because Warrior has the best protection on the index finger area.

I’ve been looking and looking for a pair of CCM XP gloves in 13” new. I have a feeling I’ll like the fit and what I’m getting online. I keep watching sideline swap. 

And I don’t know why the shipping for me is outrageous for pro stock hockey.  Maybe I’m messing up. It still says over 50 USD

Edited by Oilers97

Howdy,

4 hours ago, Oilers97 said:

I’ve been looking and looking for a pair of CCM XP gloves in 13” new. I have a feeling I’ll like the fit and what I’m getting online. I keep watching sideline swap. 

And I don’t know why the shipping for me is outrageous for pro stock hockey.  Maybe I’m messing up. It still says over 50 USD

Call / email them and ask?  Are you continental US?

Estimated shipping to me in Ohio is $15 on a pair of gloves.

Mark

On 9/1/2019 at 5:28 AM, Oilers97 said:

PSH has always been brutal for shipping to Canada. I always had to use a box or friend in the states to ship them too. What gloves are you looking for specifically?

On 9/1/2019 at 10:08 AM, marka said:

Howdy,

Call / email them and ask?  Are you continental US?

Estimated shipping to me in Ohio is $15 on a pair of gloves.

Mark

There's a pair of Gallagher ProStock gloves that I really want as well, but yeah 50~70$ USD for shipping. Local guy here has a pair too but wants 400$+ for them.

Edited by Giltis
clarification

2 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

Anything with D30 or Poron in the fingers are your best options. 

Poron is pricey and I've only seen it used in the back hand of the glove.  I'm guessing that D30 would be the same since it's a licensed product just like poron.

29 minutes ago, mojo122 said:

Poron is pricey and I've only seen it used in the back hand of the glove.  I'm guessing that D30 would be the same since it's a licensed product just like poron.

Are the 1X Pro not Poron in the fingers? The foams feel really similar to the back hand foams.

Not that I know of.  I was told it was to expensive to use in the fingers. I think if there was it would be well know from a marketing standpoint. 

AFAIK, the retail Bauer 1X Pros, the Poron is only in the back of hand pad of the liner (not actually built into the rolls).  The CCM FT1s, there is D30 Lite built into the back of hand rolls as well as the fingers.

EDIT:  Sorry...I was thinking of the Bauer APX2 Pros.  Not sure about the Bauer 1X Pros.

Edited by shoot_the_goalie

3 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

AFAIK, the retail Bauer 1X Pros, the Poron is only in the back of hand pad of the liner (not actually built into the rolls).  The CCM FT1s, there is D30 Lite built into the back of hand rolls as well as the fingers.

Correct on the 1X Pro.  I'd give the edge to the FT1 if it has D30 in the fingers too.

8 hours ago, mojo122 said:

Not that I know of.  I was told it was to expensive to use in the fingers. I think if there was it would be well know from a marketing standpoint. 

I've seen some pro stock Bauer gloves ones with Poron in the fingers. I used to have a pair of Nexus gloves a couple years ago that had it. 

I’m looking for hopefully some pro stock HGTKXP gloves in black 13”. I heard they have much thicker D3O in them as opposed to my retail ultra Tacks. 

And im in Canada yes and I refuse to pay anything close to that much in shipping. 20USD absolute max. I’ve heard bad stuff about PSH from Americans as well. So I’m just sticking to sideline swap. I’ve had good luck selling.