Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
VegasHockey

Hockey Padded Shirt? Options to beat the heat?

I recently moved to AZ and have been struggling to acclimate to the temperature difference int he rinks vs Seattle. It's just too dang hot and humid. Anyway, I am looking at maybe moving from full shoulders (STX RX3 and Vapor 1x Lite) to maybe a padded shirt, like this: https://www.icewarehouse.com/Tour_Code_1/descpage-TC1PSS.html

Does anyone have any experience with padded shirts like these? I know it's not going to provide the same level of protection but I am also not planning on blocking shots and such. Is there some other shoulders on the market, current or even older, that I should look into? 

I have tried almost every brand and model of current shoulder pad on the market and they are either still too hot or I find them too restrictive and/or heavy. I need something that provides decent protection, is light, and allows me to be mobile. I absolutely hate tall shoulder caps and anything that is bulky. 

If I can't find something I might have to start modding the RX3 shoulders cause they seem to be the best option I have used. I just need to increase the ventilation and maybe trim back some of the protection so I dont die of heat. 

First thing I’d do is start wearing long sleeve compression shirts underneath. Hopefully you’re not wearing cotton at least. 

I wear a similar shirt (but mine has shoulder caps) and really like it but I don’t think it’s going to feel any cooler than normal shoulder pads.

How about the Reebok KFS shield and core range? Use the shield if you want shoulder protection, the core for chest and back. I used the shield for a month and it was definitely much cooler than standard should pads.

They aren't made anymore but if you hunt around there are still a few examples out there:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/REEBOK-KFS-SHIELD-HOCKEY-SHOULDER-PADS-PERFECT-CONDITION-ADULT-EXTRA-LARGE/293213857132?

or 

https://www.hockeyworld.com/REEBOK-KFS-Shoulder-Pad-Srhash=item4444e8656c:g:uJwAAOSwzz5db8Fb

5 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

First thing I’d do is start wearing long sleeve compression shirts underneath. Hopefully you’re not wearing cotton at least. 

I wear a similar shirt (but mine has shoulder caps) and really like it but I don’t think it’s going to feel any cooler than normal shoulder pads.

I wear Zenkai long sleeve shirts, jock and socks 

1 hour ago, Vet88 said:

How about the Reebok KFS shield and core range? Use the shield if you want shoulder protection, the core for chest and back. I used the shield for a month and it was definitely much cooler than standard should pads.

They aren't made anymore but if you hunt around there are still a few examples out there:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/REEBOK-KFS-SHIELD-HOCKEY-SHOULDER-PADS-PERFECT-CONDITION-ADULT-EXTRA-LARGE/293213857132?

or 

https://www.hockeyworld.com/REEBOK-KFS-Shoulder-Pad-Srhash=item4444e8656c:g:uJwAAOSwzz5db8Fb

Very interesting. I will look around for a pair. Need a medium. 

When I used to live n AZ I tried the padded shirt and didn't like it that much. I tried using lacrosse shoulder pads since they have less padding and are much lighter and thus more breathable. You could try those and see if they work for you. The goalie padded shirts out currently seem to have more padding than the current roller padded shirts that might work out the Mission roller pads last year came with minimal shoulder caps.

Honestly, I ended up in the CCM U+CL while out in AZ and they worked out the best.

10 hours ago, Asian Tomatoe said:

When I used to live n AZ I tried the padded shirt and didn't like it that much. I tried using lacrosse shoulder pads since they have less padding and are much lighter and thus more breathable. You could try those and see if they work for you. The goalie padded shirts out currently seem to have more padding than the current roller padded shirts that might work out the Mission roller pads last year came with minimal shoulder caps.

Honestly, I ended up in the CCM U+CL while out in AZ and they worked out the best.

I was going to suggest those CL shoulders too. Man we’re they light, and the foam didn’t absorb sweat. 

Another option by Verbero:

https://www.verbero.com/collections/protective/products/shield-player-shirt

I use the shoulder pads and play throughout the summer with them never felt overheated. We don't have AZ heat on a constant basis here in the Mid-Atlantic but we get some pretty warm days during the summer. 

• Like 1

I live in LA and tried padded shirts before and found them to be far and away hotter than shoulder pads.  You get almost no airflow and they get soaked with sweat quickly. For a long time I didn’t wear shoulder pads at all.  I just didn’t like the big shoulder caps (full disclosure: I played NCAA hockey and wore Sher-Wood 5030’s while I was doing that, so that’ll tell you how concerned I am with protection). Eventually I ended up going to the CCM CL’s and took off the shoulder caps and that seems to do the job of keeping me cool, being light and mobile and giving me some protection.

• Like 1