Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
buyerguy

Big/Wide Head Helmet help!!

Hi y’all,

I’ve been blessed with an abnormally large head...I’ve used a Bauer 4500XL for many years and its just to narrow and crushes the sides of my head...

can anyone with a similar issue tell me which helmet would be my best bet?

would like to keep the price on the lower end as i’m merely volunteering to help run hockey practices for my nephew a couple times a week...

skates are an issue for me too...recently tried on some Nexus 2700N skates..in my size 9.5EE...and felt pain on the inside of both my heels...I cant win...my gloves fit fine though. :-)

thanks in advance!

i saw that post as well and can't say i necessarily agree with the 5100 and 4500 being the biggest helmets.  they can fit on the large side if you have a "long" head front to back, but not so great for wider heads.  i have a biggish and wide head and wore the 5100 for 3 or so seasons.  although it was the best fit i could find at the time, i went on to try the reakt when they came out and felt they fit larger all the way around for me.  depth was similar, but noticeably wider and just had an overall "larger" feel to it.  I was wearing a L 5100 adjusted roughly half way open, but the L in the ims 9.0 i eventually settled into (which has the same fit as reakt) i have almost all the way closed and could almost fit into a M all the way open.  ymmv.

Have you tried the original Re-Akt in a large? I have found they fit on the bigger side and had a few guy who wear the 4500 in an XL try the Re-Akt in a large and loved the way it fit. 

• Like 1

On 9/12/2019 at 10:18 AM, buyerguy said:

Hi y’all,

I’ve been blessed with an abnormally large head...I’ve used a Bauer 4500XL for many years and its just to narrow and crushes the sides of my head...

can anyone with a similar issue tell me which helmet would be my best bet?

would like to keep the price on the lower end as i’m merely volunteering to help run hockey practices for my nephew a couple times a week...

skates are an issue for me too...recently tried on some Nexus 2700N skates..in my size 9.5EE...and felt pain on the inside of both my heels...I cant win...my gloves fit fine though. 🙂

thanks in advance!

CCM and Easton make wide fitting helmets.

Not sure why you stuck with the same helmet for years if it wasn't fitting properly.

On 9/19/2019 at 11:30 PM, Siponarius said:

I have a fairly round head and use a ReAkt 75 and an IMS 7.0

Yes, the IMS 7 was wide/round, like the original REAKT for sure. I would assume the the new REAKT 150 would be even better.

I have a wide head and tried on a bunch of helmets last year. You said you wanted something cheap but the best fit for me was the Reakt. It's not cheap but well worth it for me as it's really comfortable and none of the CCM or Reebok fit right. 

I asked a similar question about a month ago and got crickets for responses. My issue was helmet depth as well as temples. I don't like my ears hanging out below the guards. I ended up with a Reakt 75. Turns out best fit from the entire Reakt_line.(they all fit differently and I prefer the two locks, one on each side vs one on top) for adjustments. Had a little pressure on the forehead when brand new but went away after a couple skates, I start pretty snug for a good fit when it starts to break in a touch.

On 11/15/2019 at 3:59 PM, calixguy18 said:

I have a wide head and tried on a bunch of helmets last year. You said you wanted something cheap but the best fit for me was the Reakt. It's not cheap but well worth it for me as it's really comfortable and none of the CCM or Reebok fit right. 

I forgot to mention that I take out the ear protection pieces and that helps a lot with the width. Probably not the safest thing but much more comfortable.

Thank you all for your input in my dilemma...seems like theirs quite a few people with he same issue...makes me feel better...ha!\

I'm still on the hunt for the elusive "proper fitting/comfortable" lid...

I don't have a giant head, but I do have a wide/round head.  I have found the icewarehouse website very helpful, as they list if each helmet has a round or oval fit.  That will help you narrow down. 

I currently have a Reakt 75, but have also used the Bauer IMS 5.0 with good success.  I tried a 5100 and hated it, squeezed the sides of my head, similar to what you are describing. 

I tried a Warrior Alpha One Pro.  Good width, but way too deep for my head.  It was almost covering my eyebrows. 

Not giant, but round head here, I have the IMS 7.0 medium helmet.

Came across the new True Dynamic 9 Pro at Sportchek.  Somewhat unique concept, as there seems to be no front-to-back nor width adjustment of the outer shell, just different pad thicknesses of the "floating" inner Mips liner.

Size-wise, for width, I couldn't even get a medium size past my temples, but the large was just a little snug using the 6mm Fitpads and with glasses on.  A bit too much play front and back on the large with the 10mm occipital Fitpad.  Didn't want to rip open the extra bag of Fitpads to try, as I'm not in the hunt for a new bucket, but using the 2mm side Fitpads and 15mm on the rear, this could be a viable alternative for me.  Worth trying for Stewie Griffin types.