Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
caveman27

anyone wear a patellar tendon strap while playing?

So, I went ice skating over a week ago and felt my left knee wanting to give out when I was doing cross overs to the left at high speed. That is, a lot of pressure on the left skate outside edge. Anyway, it would have been bad if my knee gave out and I crashed. This was not hockey, it was just be at public skating. I bought a patellar tendon knee strap, it goes below the knee cap.

Anyone else play while wearing one? I've got a game coming up and haven't had a chance to go to open hockey while wearing one.

Just to follow up on my own thread, I've played two games so far. I wore a patellar strap on my left knee. I think it worked. My knee didn't feel like giving out. The second game, there were only 3 defensemen so I was on the ice more often. My knee didn't feel like giving out. I'm seeing an orthopaedic surgeon about it. He saw my knee years ago for something else. 

• Like 1

I have a similar condition playing tennis where I feel one of my knees are going to give out (feels unstable).  I do wear a patella strap (pretty tightly) to help with this.  I use the McDavid brand.  However, for hockey, I don't get the same feeling in my knee since there's less torquing of the knee joint (unlike in tennis), so when playing hockey I just wear a tight compression knee sleeve to help.  I would imagine a patella strap would be a little bulky under the shinguard.

Edited by shoot_the_goalie
  • Like 1

Ive worn them in basketball and found it never to help. My knee always feels awful while walking but never on the ice which is weird. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

I have a similar condition playing tennis where I feel one of my knees are going to give out (feels unstable).  I do wear a patella strap (pretty tightly) to help with this.  I use the McDavid brand.  However, for hockey, I don't get the same feeling in my knee since there's less torquing of the knee joint (unlike in tennis), so when playing hockey I just wear a tight compression knee sleeve to help.  I would imagine a patella strap would be a little bulky under the shinguard.

It's not that bulky.

I wear this on my left knee.

PremiumPatellaStrap__74182.1416940942.jp

I wear this on my right knee.

futuro-brand-dual-knee-strap-support.jpg