Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
z1ggy

Thinnest/least volume Elbow Pads?

On 9/20/2019 at 6:43 AM, z1ggy said:

I looked, it's Men's League Sweaters.

My team got these, I ordered a size up & got an XXL (I got burned once before on some no name jerseys that another teammate ordered so I tend to go XXL instead of XL now) to avoid the issue you are dealing with. The XXL isn't that much bigger anywhere else, but my Warrior Franchise elbows fit without it being super tight or super loose. I dealt with the issue you are talking about once before so I feel your pain...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LoneStar77 said:

My team got these, I ordered a size up & got an XXL (I got burned once before on some no name jerseys that another teammate ordered so I tend to go XXL instead of XL now) to avoid the issue you are dealing with. The XXL isn't that much bigger anywhere else, but my Warrior Franchise elbows fit without it being super tight or super loose. I dealt with the issue you are talking about once before so I feel your pain...

I see, nice to know somebody has shared my suffering haha. If putting the jersey all the way over my shoulder pads first doesnt work out I'm not sure if I should look for smaller elbows or smaller shoulder pads because putting the elbows on first then putting my arms through worked fine.

4 hours ago, z1ggy said:

I see, nice to know somebody has shared my suffering haha. If putting the jersey all the way over my shoulder pads first doesnt work out I'm not sure if I should look for smaller elbows or smaller shoulder pads because putting the elbows on first then putting my arms through worked fine.

One of the guys I play with has trouble pulling his sweater on over his shoulder pads.  He has started laying the pads inside the sweater, then pulling them over his head together.  Seems to work for him.

3 hours ago, boo10 said:

One of the guys I play with has trouble pulling his sweater on over his shoulder pads.  He has started laying the pads inside the sweater, then pulling them over his head together.  Seems to work for him.

That's essentially what I did growing up.

OK I think I figured it out. Put elbows on right after shoulder pads.. get jersey on over my head (but not arms in yet) and kind of get the jersey up over the caps, then slide arms up and through... Pull jersey down. PHEW.

Now I don't want to start a new thread so I'll piggy back off this: When I should I think about replacing my gear? It's still all functional, albeit disgustingly stained from sweat. The velcro all still seems to be intact and things aren't really falling apart except for the very top of my shin guards are splitting open. Mako M5 shoulders, and Supreme One80 shins and elbows. Like I mentioned above, I play 2-3 times a week in my men's league plus organized practices/pick up. Not really eating clappers too much or getting hit really, but I don't want to cheap out. Obviously, don't want to overspend either. I don't think top of the line elbow pads are in order, for example.

2 minutes ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Given what you've described, I would oxy-clean / wash your gear now and drive on.

Mark

For the shoulder pads.... can I like... get a giant bucket and just soak them? My washer is one of those smaller HE things, not sure I can fit shoulder pads in there.

Once a year I soak all of my protective stuff in the tub with OxyClean. It takes some time because I have to drain the water a few times, then I rinse until it’s clean. Then, I set it in the sun to dry. I’ve never had issues with materials breaking down. 

I also hang it with a fan blowing  after every time I play, so it’s not sitting confined in my bag. 

Use your equipment as long as it’s comfortable and works. There are people on here who buy a whole new set every year or so, but I think they are into the thrill of buying and shopping. There are also people who have been using the same stuff for 10-15-20 years. 

• Like 1

Okay, will try this, thanks. Stuff is getting really gross/musty but I do also at least take it out of the bag after games. Unfortunately it doesn't sit in a well ventilated area but better than nothing.

I can see people replacing gear maybe.... every other year max. I went to a D1 hockey school (not a player, student only) and I was friends with some of the fellas because I lived down the hall from them. They told me they only replaced gear 2x during the 4 years they were there, and these were guys skating 6 days a week, sometimes 2x a day for over 5 months out of the year at the highest levels possible. Unlimited sticks though... Must have been nice.

I get the thrill but that's a lot of $$ to spend on virtually 0 improvement year to year.