Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
hockeydad3

Decision between two skates

On my search for a painfree skate i have to make a decision between a Nexus N2900 or a Supreme 180 size 6.5D. Bauer 3DScan will fit me into supreme 6.5D. My fit seems to be between those skates. I got both skates used but in good condition. The Supremes are a bit too narrow and the Nexus are  a bit too wide in the forefoot area and the Supremes are a little too shallow and the Nexus a little too deep volumewise. The Supremes are feeling too stiff and the Nexus are feeling too soft for me. Both have a good heellock. The solution for my strong pain in the footsole seems to be using an insole without any archsupport. In the Nexus a Speedplate 2.0 with removed archsupport is giving me a good fit and support for my feet but it feels that the boot is not stiff enough to give me the ankle-support i want to have. In the Supremes i have to use a thin cheap rivet-cover-insole from a Supreme 160 to have enough room for my toes but this insole doesn´t give any support or cushion. I´m 52 years old, 220lbs,170cm and a advanced beginner. Should i stay with the Nexus which are more comfortable or should i go with the Supremes and put some time and work into them to make them fitting better and give myself some time to cope it with them? Or what can i do to find it out?

Edited by hockeydad3

Kind of sounds like you need a EE width Supreme... Anyway go with the Supreme. You can punch and stretch it to help it fit you better.

The problem with your arches could be a volume related, especially if you're cranking down on the laces mid boot.

18 minutes ago, stick9 said:

Kind of sounds like you need a EE width Supreme... Anyway go with the Supreme. You can punch and stretch it to help it fit you better.

The problem with your arches could be a volume related, especially if you're cranking down on the laces mid boot.

I had a Supreme S160 6,5EE, it was too wide for the whole foot. I have a big volume midfoot, but the pain seems to be caused by pressure to my semiflat arch.

Don't go with a boot that is too wide or too deep, you can't make it smaller. But you can work with the Supreme, get it stretched for the forefoot width then add eyelet extenders (it's easy enough to make your own) or Reebok lacelocks for the volume.

• Like 2

At the moment I don't want to buy another skate.  If I use the thicker Speed plate in the Nexus and the thin rivetcover in the Supreme the fit around the toes and the forefoot is OK in both skates. If I change the insoles the Nexus are too wide and the Supreme are too narrow. My problem is that the speedplate is giving me a perfect support for my feet with a direct feeling for the ice and a good powertransmission. I want this performance and stability. The rivetcovers don't offer anything of the above. 

So how can I determine if the Nexus skates are too soft for me? 

Or how can I get the performance of the Speedplates into my Supremes or determine if they are too stiff? 

5 hours ago, hockeydad3 said:

At the moment I don't want to buy another skate.  If I use the thicker Speed plate in the Nexus and the thin rivetcover in the Supreme the fit around the toes and the forefoot is OK in both skates. If I change the insoles the Nexus are too wide and the Supreme are too narrow. My problem is that the speedplate is giving me a perfect support for my feet with a direct feeling for the ice and a good powertransmission. I want this performance and stability. The rivetcovers don't offer anything of the above. 

Or how can I get the performance of the Speedplates into my Supremes or determine if they are too stiff? 

If you are a advanced beginner, you probably want to wear the skate that is more comfortable. When your "skating" skill level improves, you will want a stiffer boot.

I want it both, comfortable and supportive 😉

I have the feeling and fear that my Nexus are too soft and I´m going to spend weeks or months in the wrong skates which prevents me to make adequate progress in my skating skills. Because of my age and my constitution I have a flat learning curve anyway. On the other hand I don´t want to spent a lot of time and money searching for the "right skate" if the Nexus are OK for me.

I´m 220lbs in a size 6.5 skate. When I´m standing on the carpet in the living room with my Nexus on and I´m shifting my weight from the outside edge of the left foot to the outside edge of the right foot the boots are twisting and squeaking, is this ok? Doing the same with the Supremes the boots keep their shape. When skating i have the feeling of a lacking support of the Nexus and I´m feeling a little unstable, but this could be subjective.

12 hours ago, hockeydad3 said:

One other thing you can try is SuperFeet (Carbon's) footbeds in the Supreme.  SuperFeet offers a 60-day money back satisfaction guarantee sorting them out would be risk free.  Just trim them to the footbeds that came with the S180's.

While I wouldn't call the N2900 a soft boot the S180 is a stiffer boot with the composite (CURV) quarter package.  

9 hours ago, mojo122 said:

One other thing you can try is SuperFeet (Carbon's) footbeds in the Supreme.  SuperFeet offers a 60-day money back satisfaction guarantee sorting them out would be risk free.  Just trim them to the footbeds that came with the S180's.

I have all kinds of hockeyinsoles l could buy including custom orthotics. Every kind of arch support induces pain. Even the stock insoles of the N2900 are impossible for me to skate with. Now I'm with a small and thin cheap insole. 

Edited by hockeydad3

In what way is the supreme narrow? If it's only in the mid area (not toe box) that could be solved with some punching. I'd try that + the thinnest possible insole you can manage and thin socks.