Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
hockeydad3

Stiffness of skates

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, iceman8310 said:

This has turned into an argument rather than a preference discussion.  Everyone is different.  When I do free skating I don't tie my laces, I skate to build my other muscles and balance.  if a skate truly fits you properly, you shouldn't have to lace it.  What I mean by that is the skate should be perfect.  Lacing should be an added benefit.  Just my two cents.  When I would do power skating and skating clinics when I was younger we had a European teacher.  First thing they said was take out your laces.  In russia a lot of players learn to skate without laces  You need to do what works for you and that's that.  

Not sure where you see an argument and especially quoting me about me thinking Daryl is a great guy? It just so happens I have worked with him for 3 years every summer. I don't agree with his technique but learned why and how he does it and at the end, we agreed that there is good and bad doing this way. 

Where is the argument?

Edited by oldtrainerguy28
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting picture.

Crosby has newer 70K CCM skates with the old-fashioned e-pro holder. I've never noticed that until now. Most NHL players in CCMs switch to Tuuk holders. Anyone like the e-pro holder? Who knows how many of those blade holders and blades the equipment manager has to have stashed away. That's not made anymore.

Anyway, he also skips the second from the top eyelet.

5b7328750dca4.image.jpg?resize=1200,1605

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, caveman27 said:

Interesting picture.

Crosby has newer 70K CCM skates with the old-fashioned e-pro holder. I've never noticed that until now. Most NHL players in CCMs switch to Tuuk holders. Anyone like the e-pro holder? Who knows how many of those blade holders and blades the equipment manager has to have stashed away. That's not made anymore.

Anyway, he also skips the second from the top eyelet.

5b7328750dca4.image.jpg?resize=1200,1605

 

Crosby is not the only player still using that hodler, Subban is another. If you look around you will see quite a few guys preferring to use that holder over TUUK or newer CCM holders. That holder is very stiff and some of the players like that it sits a little lower to the ice vs the newer holders. Also, I have seen Crosby change his lacing a few times. Typically he drops the top eyelet but my understanding was when he switched to a newer boot he had them cut with a shorter ankle and he started to do a lace lock with the top eyelets, skipping one from the top. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Crosby is not the only player still using that hodler, Subban is another. If you look around you will see quite a few guys preferring to use that holder over TUUK or newer CCM holders. That holder is very stiff and some of the players like that it sits a little lower to the ice vs the newer holders. Also, I have seen Crosby change his lacing a few times. Typically he drops the top eyelet but my understanding was when he switched to a newer boot he had them cut with a shorter ankle and he started to do a lace lock with the top eyelets, skipping one from the top. 

Really? When did Crosby skip the top eyelet? I’ve only seen where he laces to the top, skipping the second eyelet almost always since his rookie season and lacing the second eyelet as well in juniors.

Datsyuk stuck with E Pros too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

He’s skipping the second eyelet in all of those. If you catch him with his leg flexed you risk missing the top eyelet because his shin slides down and conceals it. This happens quite a bit because he’s quite a deep skater. If you look at the right time you can see both: skipped eyelet with top laced eyelet concealed and top eyelet visible on the other skate. Just some examples from the ‘10-‘11 Winter Classic since it’s a precisely identifiable event in your example set:

hockey-nhl-winter-classic-pittsburgh-pen

sidney-crosby-of-the-pittsburgh-penguins

sidney-crosby-of-the-pittsburgh-penguins

Edited by flip12
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does his 70k skates have 10 or 11 eyelets? Retail version have 10 so if he is skipping the 10th eyelet it means he either has custom facings or it's something like the 50k facing on a 70k frame?

Edited by Vet88
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Vet88 said:

Does his 70k skates have 10 or 11 eyelets? Retail version have 10 so if he is skipping the 10th eyelet it means he either has custom facings or it's something like the 50k facing on a 70k frame?

In that pic in caveman’s post his 70ks have 11.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Vet88 said:

Does his 70k skates have 10 or 11 eyelets? Retail version have 10 so if he is skipping the 10th eyelet it means he either has custom facings or it's something like the 50k facing on a 70k frame?

It looks like Crosby’s got the traditional more L-shaped < 70K cut compared to the C-shaped 70K cut. The eyelets over his instep are almost punched in the jewel. That and slightly less spacing between the eyelets seem to make way for the extra eyelet on his pair. They don’t look to be especially low cut at the top.

Good eye @BenBreeg, the shot of Sid in @SkateWorksPNW‘s link show only 10 eyelets, where the 10th is skipped and the 11th is presumably hidden by the bottom of Sid’s shins.

Edited by flip12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm skating now almost a year back into it after 25 away. To summarize my experience with the new stiff skate boot offerings...

From 9060's to Super Tacks and a few in between, They all felt hard as a rock.  ( Im 200lbs, not hockey agility fit but relatively fit)

I think the major problem for me with an ultra stiff boot was the heat molding and break in, wanting the boots to feel like part of my feet rather than an obstacle to overcome. Even after bakes and punches they always felt a bit "tippy" for me when going inside to outside or neutral to an edge. Abruptness/ un-smooth transitions across the edges because my ankles apparently aren't strong enough yet. Basically/probably relying on the boot for most of the support. I think this could have been avoided by starting with a flexible boot that I could lace up nice and snug where I feel supported but that still move "with" me, rather than an imperfect shell around my foot. Something with more natural/gradual deflection/bending that feels like more of an extension of what I'm trying to do out there. Perhaps a NS/NSX rec-level skate?

I'm not clanking around inside of my 9070's but there is that brief moment when doing certain things where I know the skate is gonna "tip" that tiny bit where it doesn't feel like part of my foot and I'm not in control at that time. Figure 8 kind of edge drills etc. I just started practicing 1 ft slaloms and they are truly frightening but doable. Things have gotten much better but it seems like I'm still not in sync w my skates.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×