Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
shoot_the_goalie

Why don't manufacturers use Poron or D30 in skates?

Just thinking out loud.  I assume maybe the carbon composites are enough for side impact protection on skates, but I was thinking that Poron or D30 would be incredibly useful in skate tongue construction?  You could have a very thin tongue (which would be helpful in of itself) that's lined with one of these foams.  They would stay flexible when skating but stiffen with puck impact, as per the materials characteristics.  I imagine manufacturers have looked into this and nixed the idea, since it seems all protective is being marketed with these types of foams now.  Any one know why?

1 hour ago, JR Boucicaut said:

They also did in their goal skates.

I never understood D3O on the tongue of a goal skate... that would never be hit by a puck. I guess it was for lace bite protection?

2 hours ago, Hills said:

I never understood D3O on the tongue of a goal skate... that would never be hit by a puck. I guess it was for lace bite protection?

And/or marketing

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hills said:

It’s purpose is to absorb shock from an impact, it wouldn’t prevent lace bite. 

I think the main reason it’s rarely used in skates is cost, as it is expensive. And it’s a bit bulky, fine for heel pads though. You’re better off with traditional protection. 

The issue is D3O and Poron are not owned by the manufacturers and are VERY costly. We recently had a player specifically request us to make tongues for him with D3O in the metatarsal area for protection and comfort and the cost for us to acquire D3O was not affordable. I also had a player who wanted to add poron to the ankles of his skates so we bought a small sheet of it, and did it for him. We got the d3O form here:

https://2wsqlv120k1d4f3tyq2k3iii-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/GameBreaker-D3OSheets-2019.pdf

https://gamebreaker.com/shop/

Also, a single sheet of Poron measuring 30x36, 6mm thick, 1 side abraded was almost $100 and this was the best price I could find. 

Edited by SkateWorksPNW

7 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

The issue is D3O and Poron are not owned by the manufacturers and are VERY costly. We recently had a player specifically request us to make tongues for him with D3O in the metatarsal area for protection and comfort and the cost for us to acquire D3O was not affordable. I also had a player who wanted to add poron to the ankles of his skates so we bought a small sheet of it, and did it for him. We got the d3O form here:

https://2wsqlv120k1d4f3tyq2k3iii-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/GameBreaker-D3OSheets-2019.pdf

https://gamebreaker.com/shop/

Also, a single sheet of Poron measuring 30x36, 6mm thick, 1 side abraded was almost $100 and this was the best price I could find. 

Ya but these companies already use it on their protective line, ie. Ccm's As1line

2 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Ya but these companies already use it on their protective line, ie. Ccm's As1line

Yes, in very limited amounts and in a different way than adding it to ankle protection and such. Also, these foams are quite heavy by volume. 

On 9/24/2019 at 1:34 PM, shoot_the_goalie said:

Just thinking out loud.  I assume maybe the carbon composites are enough for side impact protection on skates, but I was thinking that Poron or D30 would be incredibly useful in skate tongue construction?  You could have a very thin tongue (which would be helpful in of itself) that's lined with one of these foams.  They would stay flexible when skating but stiffen with puck impact, as per the materials characteristics.  I imagine manufacturers have looked into this and nixed the idea, since it seems all protective is being marketed with these types of foams now.  Any one know why?

CCM is way ahead of you.

Tongue of the now discontinued Tacks.

ccm-goalie-skates-tacks-sr-inset2.jpg

Its used in the insole of the Tacks AS1.

ccm-goalie-skates-tacks-as1-sr-inset9.jp

Also in the insole of the JetSpeed FT2

ccm-goalie-skates-jetspeed-ft2-sr-inset9

On 9/26/2019 at 11:48 AM, Hills said:

Should've quoted mojo122's post as I was referring to Bauer using Poron ankle padding in the Supreme T1 NXG and Reactor 9000.

Also, to add to the conversation, both of those materials really don't do well with movement, in the sense that it doesn't flex well.  

• Like 1