Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
pix530

CCM SpeedBlades vs StepSteel black?

Othermove and Superfeet are basically the same thing. 

You cannot compare STEP vs factory steel. They don't even fall into the same category. The quality of steel is tremendously better with STEP. 

I have Speedblade 4.0 in the high-polished version. I'm not going to switch. I happy with the weight of the skate and the amount of angle I can go without needing taller blades.

I had step steel with my previous Bauer Supremes on a lightspeed 2 holder. The plus with Step Steel blades is the steel is nicer. They kept their edge longer between sharpenings compared to stock Tuuk blades. They are taller so you can go deeper into a turn. Minuses, they do weigh a bit more.

• Like 1

I upgraded from sb black to as blacksteel. Night and day difference. The SB black was probably worse than steps stainless. 

I don't like the orthomoves at all and I have used superfeet yellow and carbons without complaints. Orthomoves imp feel a lot diff. Only up side is the adjustable arch support but the overall feel of the orthomoves I couldn't get used to esp compared to speed plates which I love. 

• Like 2

Step >> the stock steel

I'm on literally my 3rd game since my last sharpening on the stock steel and I'm already noticing some dull spots on the blade. When I had Step in my old Mako's I literally could go 20+ skates on the same sharpening. One year I only got my skates sharpened twice. It's the GOAT steel. I'm buying my BlackSteel next week. Maybe pro's are fine on the stock stuff if they are cool with getting a new hollow put on every other day.

I have whatever insole came in the new FT2 and used the orthomove or whatever in the FT1. I have a pretty low arch and feel the new superfeet gave me foot cramps because I Think they made the newest version either more stiff or more pronounced in the arch area. For me personally, I am fine with the stock footbeds but if I were going to try something else I'd maybe look at speedplates. Not really an issue though now as I'm trying to fine tune my True's and plan to switch to these hopefully next week.

Edited by z1ggy

I have the OG Super tacks and they came with the SB Black on the 4.0 holder, that steel is trash. I used it because I'm stubborn and didn't want to pay for step steel until I needed new runners. With the poor quality of the stock black steel I had to get new steel after 14 months, it had to be sharpened weekly and left me with not much steel to use. I have been on the standard stainless step steel and it feels as if it is 100x better than the stock steel. The added height makes NO difference in feel or balance in my experience, but obviously adds to longevity and apparently may help with cornering and tight turns with the added height, I don't feel a ton of difference in that but the longevity of the sharpening, the time between having them sharpened have increased dramatically. I can go all month and have my skates sharpened one time, versus the 3-4 times a month I'd have the stock steel sharpened and I'm skating the same amount of time if not more per week than I was on the stock steel. 

2 hours ago, cougarscaptain87 said:

I have the OG Super tacks and they came with the SB Black on the 4.0 holder, that steel is trash. I used it because I'm stubborn and didn't want to pay for step steel until I needed new runners. With the poor quality of the stock black steel I had to get new steel after 14 months, it had to be sharpened weekly and left me with not much steel to use. I have been on the standard stainless step steel and it feels as if it is 100x better than the stock steel. The added height makes NO difference in feel or balance in my experience, but obviously adds to longevity and apparently may help with cornering and tight turns with the added height, I don't feel a ton of difference in that but the longevity of the sharpening, the time between having them sharpened have increased dramatically. I can go all month and have my skates sharpened one time, versus the 3-4 times a month I'd have the stock steel sharpened and I'm skating the same amount of time if not more per week than I was on the stock steel. 

The thing with step is that there's more steel AND you go longer in between sharpenings. So that saves you money on two different aspects. The steel should technically last as long as your skates unless they somehow break.