Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
z1ggy

Is my steel ruined?

Kid at my local rink used a stone on my CCM Black Steel (from the FT2 skate). I'll post pics in a few hours but basically he put tons of scrapes on the runner which stripped the black oxide coating off. He did this on both skates and on both sides of the runner I believe. Not sure if the underlying steel is stainless or not, but I'm pretty sure you are not supposed to use a stone on this runner because this exact thing happens.

Is my steel ruined or compromised?  Is the rink on the hook to get me new runners if they are? Even if they aren't compromised, this looks pretty horrible... Should I ask them to pay for replacement steel anyway?

No. Your steel isn’t ruined. 

CCM’s finish doesn’t really have any performance benefits, and does burr up more than other coated options.

I believe CCM had to put out a disclaimer that their SB Black can be honed. It’s somewhere in another MSH thread. 

That sucks!  I've learned that if you have polished or coated steel, ask the person if they would use a stone.  If they say yes or ask why, don't let them touch your skates.

10 minutes ago, JR Boucicaut said:

No. Your steel isn’t ruined. 

CCM’s finish doesn’t really have any performance benefits, and does burr up more than other coated options.

I believe CCM had to put out a disclaimer that their SB Black can be honed. It’s somewhere in another MSH thread. 

Yeah I mean this steel isn't that great IMO, it's more about now it kind of looks like trash but I'm replacing these soon anyway. It's just kind of more like... did he not see he was scratching up my blade on the first side... but then kept doing it anyway?

The guy at hockey monkey who gave me my initial sharpening when I had FT2's mentioned these can't be honed and I forgot to mention that to the kid last night. Lesson learned ad at least it's only cosmetic.

1 hour ago, z1ggy said:

Kid at my local rink used a stone on my CCM Black Steel (from the FT2 skate). I'll post pics in a few hours but basically he put tons of scrapes on the runner which stripped the black oxide coating off. He did this on both skates and on both sides of the runner I believe. Not sure if the underlying steel is stainless or not, but I'm pretty sure you are not supposed to use a stone on this runner because this exact thing happens.

Is my steel ruined or compromised?  Is the rink on the hook to get me new runners if they are? Even if they aren't compromised, this looks pretty horrible... Should I ask them to pay for replacement steel anyway?

I would ask them for a replacement set. I also always ask the shops to not hone the steel when I am in the road and can't sharpen my steel myself. I carry my own set of hones and such with me. 

Mind you, I didn’t say that it was right that they did; they should’ve asked or not done it at all. I just spoke on a performance standpoint. 

You should ask, and should get, a replacement. 

It looks worse in person, the lighting in my garage is horrible, but here it is. Both sides of each runner basically look like this. Only had these runners for... 5 skates now? So they were mint prior to this. 

sH5Qtp7l.jpg?1

• Like 1