Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
bangerjc

Step steel blades brittle/chipping every skate!

So I was recommended step Steels as replacements in my skates. After every game I have to sharpen them as they seem like they are brittle and just falling apart like 20 chips on each blade every skate. I've had them for a few months and have already had them sharpened like 40x whats the deal with these things? 

I had them sharpened again last night and the kid said these blades are softer in metal and this is what he sees even on his. I thought they were suppose to be more durable? I never had this issue with ls2s

1 hour ago, start_today said:

Did you buy the steel new or used?

Brittle steel can result from a bad sharpening job where they overheat the blade. 

Got them new from pro hockey life.  And yes I heard this from another pro shop. I took them back to the place but didn't have receipt and they couldn't help me. 

Definitely not something that happens or should be happening. Never had this issue ever. Probably a defective set or whoever is sharpening them are ruining them somehow. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bangerjc said:

Got them new from pro hockey life.  And yes I heard this from another pro shop. I took them back to the place but didn't have receipt and they couldn't help me. 

1 year warranty. Had them profiled?

6 minutes ago, JR Boucicaut said:

It sounds like the steel is pitting on you.

You didn't answer Buzz's question; are they being dried correctly or are you putting soakers on them and leaving them in your bag?

I don't believe they are pitting there are no signs of rust. I dry them properly and remove soakers once I get home. Same thing I've done with any blade for the past 30 years 

Edited by bangerjc

Never had this issue with my Step steel and infact it needed much less sharpening and stayed in better condition than any other stock steel I've had.

I'd just have Step replace them, maybe they had a bad run at the factory or something and the material properties are different.

Exactly. I think that’s what he’s describing, if I’m reading it correctly?

id say there’s moisture causing some corrosion if that’s the case. But I’m not sure I’ve ever seen it on Step

I've had the exact opposite experience with Step Steel. I have super tacks that came with the black oxide steel from CCM, that was junk really soft and didn't hold an edge for anything. The CCM steel had to be sharpened so frequently I had to have my runners replaced in 14-15 months for the date of purchase. On the CCM steel I was getting them sharpened every 3-6 hours depending on what rink I was at and if I was coaching or playing, hard ice was hell for the CCM blades and games I'd always end up with a good size burr or rolled edge from hitting another players skate or stick. Now I have the standard Step steel in my SB 4.0 holders and the difference is honestly night and day, the steel is taller which seems to give better cornering and tight turns, it will also last longer with the added height. With the step steel I've waited as long as 20 hours before I had my skates sharpened, Step steel is without a doubt of higher quality and better performance in every sense. I'd have to imagine you either got the short straw and got a bad set of runners which will be covered under warranty, or the person sharpening your skates is overheating them causing the poor performance you're describing. You said you air them out every skate and take the skate guards off so I'd have a hard time thinking corrosion, but I wouldn't rule anything out, reach out to Step I'd imagine they're going to want to help and not ignore your problems.

23 hours ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

id say there’s moisture causing some corrosion if that’s the case. But I’m not sure I’ve ever seen it on Step

I've seen it with Step in cases where the skater just throws soakers on the skates and then they going-the bag and stay there until the next ice time.  Problem of not taking care of your skates and steel.  Certainly not the fault of Step.

On 10/12/2019 at 3:02 PM, mojo122 said:

I've seen it with Step in cases where the skater just throws soakers on the skates and then they going-the bag and stay there until the next ice time.  Problem of not taking care of your skates and steel.  Certainly not the fault of Step.

Not the case here.