Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Beflar

Rebaking skates after taking five years off. Good idea?

Took five years off.  Little bit of foot pain from the arch support in the one boot.  Thinking rebaking them might help.  Is it a good idea to rebake skates after taking five years off? 

Bauer Supremes Total 100

Thoughs?

Its the best idea. Your feet have potentially changed a bit, and a boot like that can handle a few bakes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Being I suggested it in the other topic about this, I'm doubling down on it here. 

One100 is a reasonably stiff boot, and after 5 years of likely wearing unstructured footwear, and weight fluctuation, I'm sure your foot has changed noticeably since the last time you skated. Plus it's a terrifically easy fix if it works.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

Being I suggested it in the other topic about this, I'm doubling down on it here. 

One100 is a reasonably stiff boot, and after 5 years of likely wearing unstructured footwear, and weight fluctuation, I'm sure your foot has changed noticeably since the last time you skated. Plus it's a terrifically easy fix if it works.

Ya. Great suggestion. 

Not sure what the skates are like now but this boot is really stiff even after using them for years.

17 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Speedplates.. baking ur skates won't change the sole of ur skates if the issue is in ur arch

I have a pair of old sidas insoles in there.  the problem is either to much cup for the heal that it is effecting the back part of my arch, or the arch is to high/close to the heel.  Was hoping it would flatten out a little if I left them in the boot and heated them up...

thoughts?

3 hours ago, Beflar said:

I have a pair of old sidas insoles in there.  the problem is either to much cup for the heal that it is effecting the back part of my arch, or the arch is to high/close to the heel.  Was hoping it would flatten out a little if I left them in the boot and heated them up...

thoughts?

Don't know much about the sidas.  Can't u re form them or is it one shot and done when u first get them? I'm a fan of speed plates bc u can re mould them over and over if ur arch changes (which they do) depending on the season, how much time you're on the ice, how much time you're bare foot etc. 

19 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

Don't know much about the sidas.  Can't u re form them or is it one shot and done when u first get them? I'm a fan of speed plates bc u can re mould them over and over if ur arch changes (which they do) depending on the season, how much time you're on the ice, how much time you're bare foot etc. 

Ya these sidas are old.  you had to stand on these pads and you would make an indentation, then they bake the insoles and put them in the indentations, then you stand on them to mold it.  Kinda cool.  I've read you can reheat them but you are taking a risk...

Speed plate are by bauer?  you really like them?  I will do research now. 

13 hours ago, Beflar said:

Ya these sidas are old.  you had to stand on these pads and you would make an indentation, then they bake the insoles and put them in the indentations, then you stand on them to mold it.  Kinda cool.  I've read you can reheat them but you are taking a risk...

Speed plate are by bauer?  you really like them?  I will do research now. 

I personally like the speed plates. They are Bauer yes. I have them in my true skates. Had them in my as1s too. I won't go back to any other insoles. I just love how custom they are and that they are remouldable over and over again. 

It's been a while since I had Sidas insoles but I once tweaked their shape using a heat gun. I heated the part I wanted to reshape and placed it on a 4" thick slab of polyurethane foam (aka foam rubber) and stepped on it while helping to shape it with my fingers. It's more of an artisanal than scientific method but it did the job.

The difference between the Sidas and the Speedplates is that the Sidas starts out flat and has to be pressed against the foot for shaping, whereas the Speedplate starts out with a high arch that has to be flattened by the foot. So just baking the skate with the Sidas in it won't work the same way it does with the Speedplate, and is probably not a good idea.

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 4:29 PM, Larry54 said:

It's been a while since I had Sidas insoles but I once tweaked their shape using a heat gun. I heated the part I wanted to reshape and placed it on a 4" thick slab of polyurethane foam (aka foam rubber) and stepped on it while helping to shape it with my fingers. It's more of an artisanal than scientific method but it did the job.

The difference between the Sidas and the Speedplates is that the Sidas starts out flat and has to be pressed against the foot for shaping, whereas the Speedplate starts out with a high arch that has to be flattened by the foot. So just baking the skate with the Sidas in it won't work the same way it does with the Speedplate, and is probably not a good idea.

I wonder if a hairdryer would work...  Oh I do have a steamer!  that would work I bet.

Guess I'll find out.  Ya I just need to flatten that one spot a little...

Wish me luck.

Edited by Beflar