Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
shooter27

Interesting story about profiling/sharpening

Howdy,

Yeah, I saw that.

For folks that are on here / pay attention I don't think there's really anything particularly new in the story in terms of tech.  Its more about the adoption by pro players, etc.

Still a good read.

Mark

It’s amazing how many pro’s don’t know anything about sharpenings or profiles. I get it, when you’re that good you’re that good, but still if it can help joe beer leaguer imagine what it could do for a pro.

After the 4th paragraph it started to feel like an advertorial for Elite.  Didn't take long after to realize that I was right.

19 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Yeah, I saw that.

For folks that are on here / pay attention I don't think there's really anything particularly new in the story in terms of tech.  Its more about the adoption by pro players, etc.

Still a good read.

Mark

13 hours ago, Jason said:

For those of us that don't have a subscription, could you paraphrase it a little?

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

6 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Why? 

5 hours ago, BenBreeg said:

You are publishing someone's content in violation of their business model....

^ This. Imagine the potential legal ramifications of posting somebody’s copyrighted work here...

6 hours ago, BenBreeg said:

You are publishing someone's content in violation of their business model....

40 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

^ This. Imagine the potential legal ramifications of posting somebody’s copyrighted work here...

If you pay for access to the article you can actually export it in mutiple different formats on your phone. One of those formats allowed is as a PDF. 

22 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

If you pay for access to the article you can actually export it in mutiple different formats on your phone. One of those formats allowed is as a PDF. 

For your own personal use as pointed out in their terms of service, I am sure posting it on message boards wasn’t what they had in mind.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I think it's assumed people won't export and post to other forums.

Definitely not a site advertisement.  I have no affiliation with the site other than being a subscriber.  I just thought it was an interesting article.  Working in an industry where I’m fully aware of the value of proprietary IP and content that people produce it wouldn’t be ethical or legal for me to print a PDF and post it as I don’t own the content.  

Really didn’t mean to start a pissing match about this by posting a link to an article.  But should I not share something that’s relevant and interesting just because some of the people on here aren’t and don’t want to be subscribers?  What about the people that are subscribers that found it informative?  I shouldn’t post it for them to read just because you can’t read it?

I’d feel differently if people didn’t have any ability to access it - for instance if subscriptions were restricted and someone here couldn’t access one.  That’s not the case, everyone here can access a subscription.  I certainly won’t try to tell anyone how to spend their money, but if reading it is that important to you that you’re going to complain that you can’t read it or think its somehow unfair that you can’t read it, then subscribe.  

I’ve been a member and contributor on this board for over a decade.  I’ve never posted anything for any reason other than I found it interesting and thought it had something to add to a relevant topic.

Edited by shooter27
  • Like 3

On 10/16/2019 at 1:29 AM, Jason said:

For those of us that don't have a subscription, could you paraphrase it a little?

You can register for the free trial period. Be aware that doing so will register you for the paid subscription once the trial period runs out and they will then debit your account. So make sure you unregister your subscription ASAP. You’ll still get to read the article for free. 

I thought it an okay read. The one piece of information that was new for me was that some teams are now using a large automated grinding machine, not unlike a Sparx but much larger:

The company owner has a very strong Quebec accent. He was saying how the blades are automatically centred, and the pressure is even. AFAIK no team is using a Sparx for routine sharpening. This looks more robust. Not sure how they change hollow, or what the grinding surface is (diamond impregnated steel?). I suspect the Habs don’t need to deal with bent blades, they have the money to bin them. 

My LHS got rid of their Cag and Prosharp sharpening machines, they prefer Blademaster. 

Edited by Leif

6 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Sure, you can also copy and paste it if you wanted to. Just because you’re able to doesn’t mean you’re allowed to. And even if you decided you were going to ignore that, you definitely would not be posting it here. 

5 hours ago, koresh38 said:

what's the point of posting an article here when you need a subscription to read it? Looks like a site advert to me....

It’s fine. Obviously we’d prefer public links but I’d rather point people to something relevant so we can have a discussion than to just not at all. Enough people are aware of The Athletic that they understand the subscription model. It’s no different from mentioning an article posted in the print copy of The Hockey News, for example. That’s not free either. 

Lets go ahead and get the thread back on topic.

57 minutes ago, Leif said:

You can register for the free trial period. Be aware that doing so will register you for the paid subscription once the trial period runs out and they will then debit your account. So make sure you unregister your subscription ASAP. You’ll still get to read the article for free. 

I thought it an okay read. The one piece of information that was new for me was that some teams are now using a large automated grinding machine, not unlike a Sparx but much larger:

The company owner has a very strong Quebec accent. He was saying how the blades are automatically centred, and the pressure is even. AFAIK no team is using a Sparx for routine sharpening. This looks more robust. Not sure how they change hollow, or what the grinding surface is (diamond impregnated steel?). I suspect the Habs don’t need to deal with bent blades, they have the money to bin them. 

My LHS got rid of their Cag and Prosharp sharpening machines, they prefer Blademaster. 

The pressure isn’t even during a pass; it actually is variable. 

It comes in fast and light at the toe, then slower/harder, then repeats fast/light at the heel. That way, it isn’t applying undue pressure at the heel and toe.  It is impressive. 

Also, diamond wheels. That was the only knock that I had on it; I wasn’t that impressed with the finish. Passable, but not wow. 

• Like 3

Enough with the discussion about the article posting. We’ve set rules that have been in place for 15 years. And since I’m the only one listed on the paperwork here, I would greatly appreciate not having to deal with any legal issues. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, JR Boucicaut said:

The pressure isn’t even during a pass; it actually is variable. 

It comes in fast and light at the toe, then slower/harder, then repeats fast/light at the heel. That way, it isn’t applying undue pressure at the heel and toe.  It is impressive. 

Also, diamond wheels. That was the only knock that I had on it; I wasn’t that impressed with the finish. Passable, but not wow. 

I assume it is even pressure over most of the blade in order to preserve the profile? And from your comment it sounds like to does more of the heel and toe than the Sparx. Your comment on the finish surprises me since the Habs use one. I might naively think they are a wee bit fussy! 

7 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

You should. I have been trying to buy a profilier for 2 years. They wont sell to anyone except NHL teams. 

Interesting. I had reached out to them about buying a unit but the price was INSANE so that obviously didnt go anywhere.