Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
bgdawg019

LS2 Steel to LS5

jus recently got the 2Xpro skates after skating on the O'G total ones from 2010. my gawd what a difference fresh wheels feel like. the only issues I have come across is what I think is a easy fix. I used LS2 since I can remember with a 1/2" hollow profiled to the standard 9' of the steel. the LS5 I feel like I have been slipping while pushing off and going in a straight line if that makes any sense. I had them re-cut at 7/16's as I have read that will increase some added bit.

I am curious if anyone has had any issues like this. new steel with a 10" radius might take some getting used to also. I have heard great things about the LS5 so I want to give them a honest run. thanks for any help.

2 hours ago, bgdawg019 said:

jus recently got the 2Xpro skates after skating on the O'G total ones from 2010. my gawd what a difference fresh wheels feel like. the only issues I have come across is what I think is a easy fix. I used LS2 since I can remember with a 1/2" hollow profiled to the standard 9' of the steel. the LS5 I feel like I have been slipping while pushing off and going in a straight line if that makes any sense. I had them re-cut at 7/16's as I have read that will increase some added bit.

I am curious if anyone has had any issues like this. new steel with a 10" radius might take some getting used to also. I have heard great things about the LS5 so I want to give them a honest run. thanks for any help.

I am not sure why you would be slipping unless it was a bad shrpening job or you arent used to the center of gravity change from your old steel to the new pair. 

Skating on 10' radius vs 9' radius is much more efficent, but where I think you might be struggling is the toe and heel on the LS5 are chunky compared to the LS2. You might want to ask a local shop, thats hopefully competent, to either blade match your old set or at least shave the toe. I wouldnt touch the heel, personally, unless you feel like that is also bothering you as well. Youll notice the chunky toe and heel more when doing cross overs, cross unders, and transitions/pivots. 

Going to a more sharp hollow honestly doesnt make sense to me. With a long profile you usually will want to go to a more flat hollow. Are you sure they know what they are doing with sharpening? 

Skated on the LS5 twice before I went back to LS2. The slipping part was almost like I was on top of my steels. I think a lot of this is just not being used to it. Also being a higher steel I’m sure plays a huge role. The shop I go to does a very nice job with what I ask and tell them I’m feeling. I just want to give the LS5 another shot since I hear how great they hold up and all. LS2 edge dies quick. 

Edited by bgdawg019

You could always profile to a ProSharp 9.5/10.5 and get the best of both worlds.

Give it time. It will take a few to get used to the new skates.