Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Peterjguy

CCM Skate VS Bauer

Current have CCM tack skates and feel I am always struggling with the perfect forward bend while still have my skates tight. Tried dropping down an eye lid but feel they are way to sloppy if I do that. Wondering if the Bauer skates have more of a forward bend? 

Over the past 10 years I went from Bauer to CCM and Back to Bauer. Will never go back to CCM. Could just be the shape of my foot but i've always had comfort issues; pain in the arch, lacebite with CCM. I've heard too many similar stories with CCM skates from other. Note: I've only worn their top supreme skate though, can't comment on the other models but the ones i've skated in have honestly fit like a sneaker on the first skate and have only gotten better. I skate on MX3s now for about 5 years or so and they are starting to break down but I still love them.

Edited by kingofnooyork

1 hour ago, Peterjguy said:

Current have CCM tack skates and feel I am always struggling with the perfect forward bend while still have my skates tight. Tried dropping down an eye lid but feel they are way to sloppy if I do that. Wondering if the Bauer skates have more of a forward bend? 

I'm not a store owner or expert, but I believe that the Tacks line is the equivalent to the Bauer Supreme in fit profile.  What I've seen is that the CCMs have a wider, shallower heel so you don't get the heel lock of the Bauers.  If you are having to tighten your skates more to achieve that heel lock, it will affect your range of forward flexion and may cause lace bite.  So all that may be one cause.  Another cause may be that your Tacks are not the correct size.  If they are too big or too wide, you will have to lace them tighter to get the same support.  Then the aforementioned things happen.  It is also possible that your skates are too stiff.  If you are absolutely confident that your skates are the correct size, you may want to look into the Supreme skate to get better heel lock and possibly be able to loosen the laces some.  If your foot is on the wider side, Nexus skates may work as well.  They're built on a wider last similar to the Supreme, but have more volume and a slightly wider heel.  You might be able to get more forward flexion because of the volume.

FWIW I’m hoping that True/ VH launches a retail non- custom for affordable prices (think Easton Mako M7/ M8 quality - $399.99 or so).

When I compare the quarter package of traditional skates to Mako/VH I feel like I’m comparing a ski boot body boot to a tennis shoe.

I was in Bauer Supreme before my Makos and it was nothing but problems. Ever since I got into Mako it’s been all good. Only issue has been dialing in size. I’m an 11.5/ 12 in Nike basketball and a 9.5 in Mako, but that’s just a size thing and not a design flaw.

Don’t mean to detail the thread, just saying you might be looking in the wrong place or comfort.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingofnooyork said:

Over the past 10 years I went from Bauer to CCM and Back to Bauer. Will never go back to CCM. Could just be the shape of my foot but i've always had comfort issues; pain in the arch, lacebite with CCM. I've heard too many similar stories with CCM skates from other. Note: I've only worn their top supreme skate though, can't comment on the other models but the ones i've skated in have honestly fit like a sneaker on the first skate and have only gotten better. I skate on MX3s now for about 5 years or so and they are starting to break down but I still love them.

I'm in the same boat here.  My MX3s are starting to break down and it's becoming time to replace them.  Tacks are interesting because of the one piece boot, but the heel profile is a deal breaker.  The heel is what I like most about my Supremes.  I can get my foot locked in there and not tie any of the laces too tight.  The Supremes fit my foot the best, with no issues or compromises anywhere.  Why would I switch away?

When talking about Tacks, you need to specify if you're talking about the original revival line, (I think around 2012) or the current/previous generation Super Tacks line.  They are very different fits.

To answer your question, no, Bauer skates will not give you more forward flex.  In fact, at equal price points CCM skates generally are a bit softer than Bauer.

If the Tacks skate fits you well, your best bet is to either learn to skate without the top eyelet, (will take a few ice times to get used to it) or adjust your lacing.  You can also install lace locks to help with modified lacing.

Edited by boo10
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Peterjguy said:

The first two sentences make me inclined to feel that your skates might not be the correct size. If you are struggling to keep your skates tight, they are most likely too big. 

That would be the first issue I would look at before being concerned about what name is on my feet. 

• Like 1

I'm not familiar with what the current CCM skates are like, but in the past, CCM boots were pitched forward more than Bauers. 

As others have mentioned, this can be a fit issue rather than the a skate build issue. With my laces loose, my skate still fits snuggly around my foot. I would have to give it a good hard kick to even get the skate to come off. If you have to crank the laces to get your foot to stabilize, that's a red flag you are either not in the right type of skate or in the wrong size of skate.

5 hours ago, Cosmic said:

FWIW I’m hoping that True/ VH launches a retail non- custom for affordable prices (think Easton Mako M7/ M8 quality - $399.99 or so).

I wonder if this might come to fruition.  Total speculation, but I noticed that VH does sell retail junior boots.  Maybe down the road, they'll do this with senior sizes?

https://www.icewarehouse.com/True_Stock/descpage-TJISK.html

Edited by shoot_the_goalie

9 hours ago, Cosmic said:

They already do this for goalie skates.  GM sells a stock, retail sized True 2 piece skate.  It's still their top price point construction.  But maybe a mid point version could be on the way.

https://www.goaliemonkey.com/equipment/skates/sr-goalie-skates/true-goalie-skates-stock-two-piece-senior.html

4 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

I wonder if this might come to fruition.  Total speculation, but I noticed that VH does sell retail junior boots.  Maybe down the road, they'll do this with senior sizes?

https://www.icewarehouse.com/True_Stock/descpage-TJISK.html

That was what started getting me thinking on this speculation. When I saw that, I thought, "Please, let it be just a matter of time!"

1 hour ago, psulion22 said:

They already do this for goalie skates.  GM sells a stock, retail sized True 2 piece skate.  It's still their top price point construction.  But maybe a mid point version could be on the way.

https://www.goaliemonkey.com/equipment/skates/sr-goalie-skates/true-goalie-skates-stock-two-piece-senior.html

This, I did not know about ...very promising! 

Which tacks? As1 super tacks?  The as1s has a higher boot construction which will cause better lateral stability but will def reduce forward flexion.  My as1s also have me bad hot spots and pinching and lace bite. The most painful skate I've broken had to break in. 

One thing to try before you go spending money is to try a different lacing style (if you search there is a thread or two that discusses various lacing techniques and pros/cons of each).  My old Bauers were so stiff/high that I never felt I got enough fwd lean, but when I undid the top eyelet I too felt sloppy... I found the key was to skip the second from the top eyelet (look at pics of Crosby and his skates, he does the same), this gave me the support I was used to but loosened it just enough to allow more fwd lean, it was a win-win for me.  Like I said, it might be worth a try before you go spending money (and even then you might like it and do it in whatever skates you get next).

• Like 1

On 10/26/2019 at 3:37 AM, Peterjguy said:

Notwithstanding any skate fit issues, these will fix any lacebite issues and give you the flex forward you want: http://greatsaves.org/skate_lace_extenders.html

On 10/25/2019 at 11:01 PM, Peterjguy said:

Thanks for the feed back. Yeah I got bad lace bite as well and took forever to get over it. I find myself always adjusting my skates while on the bench trying to make them better. 

That's something I used to do as well, fidgeting with my laces all the time. Laces come loose in a game and I'd always have to re-tie them.

My solution was to learn to skate with one eyelet off. Yes, it took awhile, and it was worth it. It's really just getting your calves to control your ankle flexion - this will be hard at first as we're used to letting our boot physically dictate how much ankle flexion we get.

Another benefit with having more range is the expanded degree to which you can manipulate your edges. McDavid skates without the top eyelet done and he's got such ability to work those edges like no one else.

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 11:40 AM, salibandy said:

That's something I used to do as well, fidgeting with my laces all the time. Laces come loose in a game and I'd always have to re-tie them.

My solution was to learn to skate with one eyelet off. Yes, it took awhile, and it was worth it. It's really just getting your calves to control your ankle flexion - this will be hard at first as we're used to letting our boot physically dictate how much ankle flexion we get.

Another benefit with having more range is the expanded degree to which you can manipulate your edges. McDavid skates without the top eyelet done and he's got such ability to work those edges like no one else.

Took your advice and dropped the eyelids, best skate ever and it didn't take to long to get use to it. 

• Like 2

Could just be me but I had FT1 and FT2, no lace bite. I have a low instep though so if yours is high(er), then maybe you will get lace bite.

I would agree about dropping 1 eyelet on CCMs... I dropped the top on both FT1 and FT2, skates were border line unusable with them tied.

Can anyone give a good comparison of the fit of a Super Tacks AS1/AS2 to a Supreme 1S/2S Pro, especially the width?  I need new skates.  Supremes fit me like a glove, it's like they designed the skate for me.  I want the Ultra Sonics when they come out because of the one-ish piece boot, so I need to get something for the time being until then.  Finding something used in my size (8EE) in Supreme is hard, but I found a pair of AS1's in 8D that already have a Tuuk holder on them (I already have Tuuk steel).  Is there any chance that the Tacks will be wider than the Supremes and these skates would work?  (or is there any chance 1S or 2S Pro skates fit wider than MX3s?)  They might be a good stop gap if they'd fit.  But I can't try them on, and I don't want to be the jerk that goes down to my rink to try stuff on with no intention of buying from them.

Edited by psulion22

1 hour ago, psulion22 said:

Can anyone give a good comparison of the fit of a Super Tacks AS1/AS2 to a Supreme 1S/2S Pro, especially the width?  I need new skates.  Supremes fit me like a glove, it's like they designed the skate for me.  I want the Ultra Sonics when they come out because of the one-ish piece boot, so I need to get something for the time being until then.  Finding something used in my size (8EE) in Supreme is hard, but I found a pair of AS1's in 8D that already have a Tuuk holder on them (I already have Tuuk steel).  Is there any chance that the Tacks will be wider than the Supremes and these skates would work?  (or is there any chance 1S or 2S Pro skates fit wider than MX3s?)  They might be a good stop gap if they'd fit.  But I can't try them on, and I don't want to be the jerk that goes down to my rink to try stuff on with no intention of buying from them.

I've not worn the AS1, but I have worn the OG SuperTacks and 1S.  In my opinion, the ST is actually a bit narrower and deeper than the 1S.  If you wear a EE in Supremes, then I think a D in Tacks will be too narrow for you.

1 hour ago, boo10 said:

I've not worn the AS1, but I have worn the OG SuperTacks and 1S.  In my opinion, the ST is actually a bit narrower and deeper than the 1S.  If you wear a EE in Supremes, then I think a D in Tacks will be too narrow for you.

I agree that a D width will likely not fit you. 

1 hour ago, boo10 said:

24 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I agree that a D width will likely not fit you. 

Ok too bad.  Thanks, guys.

On 10/25/2019 at 10:37 AM, Peterjguy said:

Could you tell us about forward bend? Are you an aggressive skater and your upper body is bending forward while skating? You feel like your boots are like ski boots, you get no toe flick, and/or you feel like you are on cross-country skis or speed skates?