Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
jasongos

Moving between ProSharp Profiles

Hello,

I’ve been relatively happy with my Quad 0.5 profile on my True skates, but I’m always game to experiment with a different profile on my 2nd set of runners.  I was near a well known shop in Surrey, BC that has a prosharp, and I knew they perform the profile while you wait.  I decided I’d like to try the Zuperior M based on the positive feedback on this forum.

I spoke to the person at the profile station, and he had concerns that pitch adjustments from my existing profile would impact the new profile in an additive way.  That didn’t make sense to me since I assumed the shape of the runner would always match the template bar, but he was adamant that the machine would over pitch the runner unless he added some negative pitch.  He decided he wasn’t comfortable with the service, and he opted not to do my runners.

On this forum, people bounce from profile to profile all the time, and I’ve never heard of anything like this.  @JR Boucicaut, @jimmy, @SkateWorksPNW, have you ever heard of such a thing?  Is this just an inexperienced tech or were his concerns valid?

thanks!

He's right about just slapping it on; it will overpitch the steel.

What has to be done is to trick the machine by marking a new line 20 mm from the original . Then putting the steel in normally (but not clamping), but moving the sled manually to meet the new line, then clamping it there.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, JR Boucicaut said:

What has to be done is to trick the machine by marking a new line 20 mm from the original . Then putting the steel in normally (but not clamping), but moving the sled manually to meet the new line, then clamping it there.

+1

• Like 1

Howdy,

So the machine references the existing bottom of the runner (where it contacts the ice) when clamping the running into position?

That seems like an odd way to do it.

Mark

Thanks for the replies, JR and Nick. 

Follow up question:   How would a shop know how to properly offset the existing profile?  when I had my profile originally applied, i requested an additional forward pitch to be added, but I bet not all shops have the same definition of “minor forward pitch”.  Similarly, if I mail ordered a profile service, how would that shop identify the existing profile?  The video made it appear like the technician knew the proper offset, but it didn’t seem like he derived that value based on the blade itself. 

Thanks!

On 10/28/2019 at 5:41 PM, marka said:

Howdy,

So the machine references the existing bottom of the runner (where it contacts the ice) when clamping the running into position?

That seems like an odd way to do it.

Mark

No, there's a pivot point marked on the sled.  The machine isn't that smart.

6 hours ago, jasongos said:

Follow up question:   How would a shop know how to properly offset the existing profile?  when I had my profile originally applied, i requested an additional forward pitch to be added, but I bet not all shops have the same definition of “minor forward pitch”.  Similarly, if I mail ordered a profile service, how would that shop identify the existing profile?  The video made it appear like the technician knew the proper offset, but it didn’t seem like he derived that value based on the blade itself. 

Thanks!

That's one of the problems that I have with a lot of shops; they don't tell you exactly what they give you because they want to protect their business.  It's stupid and I just wish people were more transparent.

The method in the video won't add any additional pitch, so basically what the tech would do is set it and they should be able to see the additional pitch added.  I haven't had a case like that yet, but I guess what I would do would be to adjust the pitch settings to the point that the cycle would be even.

6 hours ago, jasongos said:

Thanks!

If the shop doesn't share with you the specifications they used to apply the current profile there really is no way to determine a combination radius and if any additional pitch has been added. If the steel has enough life left I recommend flattening it and then applying a fresh profile. The downside to this is it burns up a lot of steel and I really dislike wasting material. I see this mostly from people who use NoIcing and such, stores who don't like to share any information on a profile applied, which really makes my job overly complicated. 

On 10/28/2019 at 4:52 PM, JR Boucicaut said:

Anyone have a valid link to this video.  Doesn't seem to work for me.