Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Need help! 

I recently had new LS2 holders installed here in Colorado. After I picked them up and "thought" I had properly inspected my new LS2 holders at the pro shop. I noticed after my first skate that both sets are bent in the middle in the exactly the same way on both pairs (see pictures)

I was hoping to be able a fix it my self, as I live in rural Colorado a few hours from the pro shop in Denver. 

My thoughts were to either (1) remove the steel and let the holders return back to the original form (maybe) or (2) remove the steel and apply my heat gun to them for a few minutes to let them expand back to shape and allow for an easy install of the steel.  

Note: the pro shop stated that it was difficult to install the steel on a new pair of holders (as I have experienced myself in the past) and they used a rubber mallet to get them in. 

Any advice would be appreciated.

IMG_3352 LS2.jpg

IMG_3353 LS2.jpg

The issue isn't the steel.

On new holders, sometimes the channel is too thin and certain steel (usually LS3) struggles to fully go in.

What they should've done would be to hit the bridge of the holder with a mallet to get the center to fall in.  That's hard to do when the skates are mounted on the boots as you can't get a hammer in there.

Take out the steel and you'll see that the channel will most likely look like some plastic has been shaved off.  That's what happened when they put the steel in.  Go ahead and take an X-Acto knife and remove some material from where you see the bulge. Reinsert steel and see where it's getting stuck at, then repeat. Try to confine it in the channel, not the edge of the holder.

In this situation I wouldn't recommend heat, because the holders are mounted and things could go wrong.  If not mounted, then I would've.

• Like 2

Or.... you could take the steel out..  heat the holder with a hair dryer in that area and re install.  Hair dryer isnt hot enough to damage. Heat gun as JR mentioned Nooooooooo.  

Only other option is taking the holder off. 

• Like 2

Yeah, you just have to get the plastic to move a little bit. 

I don’t understand how a shop would let that go like that. But then again, if I’m being completely honest, I don’t understand how a shop would leave the UPC sticker on the holder.  It’s the attention to detail...

• Like 5

What about maybe before you start anything, putting a flat rod through the channel and gently seeing if you can bring it down or not? It probably won't work, but if it does, it'll save you from taking anything off.

• Like 1

Never had issues with Bauer steel struggling to get into tuuks. If anything it's step that's always made me sweat getting steel in and out. Esp on the ls2 holders. 

Anyways, maybe remove and put the steel on the freezer for a bit then try to reinstall. This way you're not trying to expand the hokder but shrink the steel. Just enough for it to fit in smoothly. 

It's weird though I've never seen a holder bend like that. When I read your post, at first I thought it was mounted improperly and was bowing. 

• Like 1