Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
six501

Odd skate sharpening question

I had just a 10' radius put on my Tydan steel recently and sharpened to a 9/16 like I always do. Typically I use a Sparx machine but I have my buddy sharpen them manually too. He did them, we checked the edges, and they were even on both skates. My second time skating on them, I felt like I had to put more effort into each stride and like I was skating on sandpaper. I checked the edges today with a clean Sparx edge checker and both are uneven/off by a lot. I haven't thrown my skates around, or my bag. Hoping someone has some kind of idea because it doesn't make sense to me.

7 minutes ago, stick9 said:

Same edge relative to the position in the Sparx? Your ring alignment could be off.

This steel had a 10-foot radius put on it then was sharpened on a regular machine, not a Sparx. We then checked the edges in the shop after doing them and they were dead on. It hasn't touched the Sparx after it was hand sharpened. 

Howdy,

Are you using the same edge checker, in the same manner (i.e. which way the edge checker is facing)?

I would think that if an edge got beat up enough to go from being even to being way off level, then the damage would be both visible and not uniform.  But an edge checker that wasn't actually indicating level correctly could perhaps explain what you're seeing...

Mark

On 11/22/2019 at 5:23 PM, marka said:

Howdy,

Are you using the same edge checker, in the same manner (i.e. which way the edge checker is facing)?

I would think that if an edge got beat up enough to go from being even to being way off level, then the damage would be both visible and not uniform.  But an edge checker that wasn't actually indicating level correctly could perhaps explain what you're seeing...

Mark

Different edge checker, we're going to compare them today.

On 11/22/2019 at 10:35 PM, Buzz_LightBeer said:

Simpler check; make sure the magnet on the level didn’t collect some skate dust, that’ll throw off leveling as well. 
lesson learned from experience

I made sure to clear it off more than once.

On 11/23/2019 at 1:34 AM, mickz said:

Skating on sandpaper sounds like your sharpening lacked a finishing pass.

I only doubt that because he has been doing skates for a while, including mine. He also posts here so if it is this, it is hilarious to me. 

1. The edge checker is off 1 o the other.

2. What ever hollow was done on the manual machine will feel deeper than the portable as it sounds like your friend use good even pressure. 

All my clients say my sharpening feels sharper than there home machine.  

3 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

1. The edge checker is off 1 o the other.

2. What ever hollow was done on the manual machine will feel deeper than the portable as it sounds like your friend use good even pressure. 

All my clients say my sharpening feels sharper than there home machine.  

1. We checked them side by side today and both edge checkers read the same. The skates were definitely off though prior. 

2. I 100% agree. This may irritate some Sparx elitists but, a hand sharpening always feels deeper and more crisp on first skate. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, six501 said:

1. We checked them side by side today and both edge checkers read the same. The skates were definitely off though prior. 

2. I 100% agree. This may irritate some Sparx elitists but, a hand sharpening always feels deeper and more crisp on first skate. 

Does that include those sharpenings with the uneven edges...?

🤔

I know that will likely irratate the purists, couldn't resist. 

Edited by stick9

5 hours ago, stick9 said:

Does that include those sharpenings with the uneven edges...?

🤔

I know that will likely irratate the purists, couldn't resist. 

My Sparx is always dead on, the initial feeling of Sparx vs done by hand is just noticeable on the first skate in my opinion.