Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Jbear

Have You Skated in 2sPro and 2XPro?

Curious...again. Have any of you guys (or girls) skated in the Supreme and Vapor and felt good in both?  Now...if that's not the case,  the next question is moot...How did you choose one over the other? 

Does anyone feel comfortable in both of these boots?

The only way I can wrap my head around that is that they both feel equally mediocre if maybe you have a foot type right in between the two?

26 minutes ago, colins said:

The only way I can wrap my head around that is that they both feel equally mediocre if maybe you have a foot type right in between the two?

I have a foot that fits between a E/A Vapor and a D/A Supreme, hence why I can fit into both decently. I would say the Supreme gives me a tighter and more responsive fit but the Vapor overall has a better feel. Its more flexible and I like the new toe cap design as it gives me a little more room than the standard toe cap in the Supreme. The Supreme while having the better overall fit of the two is more stiff and rigid and I prefer the flexible fit of the Vapor. 

Does that make sense? 

The flex/feel part does, but not the part about the toe cap.  According to Bauer, the Supreme is the wider of the two?  Did you mean that the Supreme was roomier in the toe.

5 minutes ago, Jbear said:

The flex/feel part does, but not the part about the toe cap.  According to Bauer, the Supreme is the wider of the two?  Did you mean that the Supreme was roomier in the toe.

The toe cap design of the new Vapor is actual more roomy in width than the previous models. The depth is less though. 

Ok...that makes sense.  So...what did you end up going with?  I'm in AS1's and I love the way they fit.  I'm just interested in trying other skates.  I think I remember the 2sPro being similar in fit but a little more flexible when I was trying on skates.  I might like that additional flexibility,  as the Super Tacks are exceptionally stiff.  I will say that for 0-60 acceleration they are phenomenal.  

2 hours ago, colins said:

I fit fairly decent in both. The Supremes were a touch more comfortable thru the forefoot but didn't have the heel lock the of the vapor. The vapor also has a narrower ankle and cuff area which fit me a little better than the Supremes. 

Edited by stick9

1 hour ago, Jbear said:

Ok...that makes sense.  So...what did you end up going with?  I'm in AS1's and I love the way they fit.  I'm just interested in trying other skates.  I think I remember the 2sPro being similar in fit but a little more flexible when I was trying on skates.  I might like that additional flexibility,  as the Super Tacks are exceptionally stiff.  I will say that for 0-60 acceleration they are phenomenal.  

TRUE skates 

6 hours ago, pgeorgan said:

I skate in 1s goalie skates and 1x player skates. I guess not the best comparison, but I like them both. 

You're supposed to get scanned and the rep will let you know which boot they recommend. Vapors are the narrowest Bauer skate, followed by the Supremes. 

For some asinine reason, Bauer didn't flip the fit profiles of the goalie skates when they switched to the player line names.  The goalie skates are backwards.  So it would make sense you wear a Supreme goalie and Vapor player as they are the same fit profile.

6 minutes ago, pgeorgan said:

I did not know that. 

Goalie skates don't require as much attention to eliminating negative space as player skates, from my experience. 

The Vapor and Supreme goalie skates have drastically different heel/ankle designs, so that's largely going to be the determining factor in which model to go with. At least it was for me. 

Yep.  The Supreme line was originally the same anatomical fit when it was the One100/80/60 and then NXG line, matching the player skates.  The other goalie line was the Reactor line, which was really no different.  The skates pretty much fit the same way, Bauer tried to differentiate them by saying one was for "butterfly" goalies, and the other was for "reactive/hybrid" goalies.  When they moved to the Curv quarter, they completely changed the fit to the Vapor player fit - narrow last, low volume, low wrap, tapered fit - for lateral agility.  Then they created the cowlingless Supreme line, but kept the fit profile the same as the previous Pro/Elite skates, with an asymmetrical ankle.  Now, it was even more like the Vapor player skate.  When they moved the Reactor line to the Vapor name, I guess they wanted two different fit profiles, so they kept it the same anatomical fit that it was and that the Supreme player skate has - wider last, more volume, anatomical fit, narrow heel.

I agree.  The ankle and heel design is much more important to a goalie.  But part of those is the shape of the ankle and how much volume it has which would be a big factor for someone who may want one ankle design over the other for the performance benefits it offers.  For example, I fit better in a Supreme player profile but I prefer the asymmetrical ankle of the Supreme goalie skate.  I wish they'd put that on both lines so I could switch to Vapor to get some more volume and width.

2 minutes ago, pgeorgan said:

I switched to the 1s' from the Elite/Pro line and am definitely preferring the more unobtrusive ankle design of the former. 

Goalie skates are one of those weird things where you'll still see a lot of NHL goalies still using skates with cowlings, eg. Even much older models not for retail sale. 

On the other hand, when I'm skating out in Vapors, I can easily tell the difference in my abilities with the skates even the slightest bit too loose and wobbly. The smallest amount of slack translates to a lot of wasted energy for me. 

Definitely.  Goalie skates are an area where True skates get a pretty big benefit because the demands and performance are different.  That asymmetrical ankle should be on both skates because it just lends to better performance for any modern goalie who would really want a cowlingless skate.  I believe they should offer a "Nexus" goalie line of traditional skates with a cowling and symmetrical ankle for more traditional users and leave the modern stuff for those who want it.  I hear you on the player skates too.  My MX3s are nearing the end of their life.  The outsole is getting soft and I can feel it flexing when I stride.  Plus the foams have broken down so I can feel some wobble and slide inside the skates.  Those two things combind have really lost me some speed and efficiency.  I can feel that my stirdes aren't as powerful as they should be, especially on starts.

On 11/30/2019 at 5:08 PM, SkateWorksPNW said:

Yes. Skated in both. Like the fit of the 2S but prefer the performance of the 2X. 

I've heard that you may get your perfect skate when the new line launches next year.  Vapor features with a Supreme fit.

3 hours ago, psulion22 said:

I've heard that you may get your perfect skate when the new line launches next year.  Vapor features with a Supreme fit.

Yup, the whole Fit1, Fit2, and Fit3 system for both Supreme and Vapor. 

Edited by SkateWorksPNW

32 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Yup, the whole Fit1, Fit2, and Fit3 system for both Supreme and Vapor. 

I'm hoping they bring it to the goalie skates as well.

Well...turns out...I fit in the AS1'sand 2xPro's...well!  Lucky me.

So...AS1's: fit perfectly with punch-out needed for the left maleolar (aforementioned broken ankle).

2xPro's: Maleolar feels great out of the box. May need to punch the outer forefoot a small amount. Not sure yet, as I only noticed discomfort after a three hour skate. May have felt discomfort in anything at that point. 

Anyway...I am keeping both.  The Bauer is more flexible and easier on my joints, so on back-to-back games/ practices...I'll alternate.  

Anyway...Blacksteel goes in tonight...nice to have options! 

My Custom 2s Pro skates are really superb but they do have a potentially serious flaw which caused me pain for a while. The area where the hard toe cap joins the quarter package bulges inwards and rubs against my big toe in my right skate. I’ve solved this with a silicon sleeve for my toe, but someone told me this is a not uncommon issue. You’d think they would pick this up in testing. Then again Bauer don’t seem to like flipper shaped feet. 

On 12/17/2019 at 5:53 PM, Leif said:

My Custom 2s Pro skates are really superb but they do have a potentially serious flaw which caused me pain for a while. The area where the hard toe cap joins the quarter package bulges inwards and rubs against my big toe in my right skate. I’ve solved this with a silicon sleeve for my toe, but someone told me this is a not uncommon issue. You’d think they would pick this up in testing. Then again Bauer don’t seem to like flipper shaped feet. 

I have this issue in my left 2S Pro as well. Caused some bad blistering on side of my big toe. I recently cut a lace and had to replace it which has helped oddly enough.

• Like 1