Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
sn1per

True skates coming from Supreme 2S Pro

Hello all.  Looking for some advice. I've always been a supreme user and I've gotten used to the range of motion you get with their flexible tendon gaurds. I've tried other skates and have never been able to adjust as I feel they never allow me the same range of motion. For players looking to switch from Supreme, what options are out there? If I'm looking to get into a pair of True skates, is there anything that can be done to accommodate this feature? I've looked online and can't seem to find any info on this topic.

Thanks in advance

10 hours ago, sn1per said:

Hello all.  Looking for some advice. I've always been a supreme user and I've gotten used to the range of motion you get with their flexible tendon gaurds. I've tried other skates and have never been able to adjust as I feel they never allow me the same range of motion. For players looking to switch from Supreme, what options are out there? If I'm looking to get into a pair of True skates, is there anything that can be done to accommodate this feature? I've looked online and can't seem to find any info on this topic.

Thanks in advance

The True skates tendon guards are flexible to a certain extent because how low they're attached. They do tend to give more than they look like they do.

I had Mako's for 5 years and have not had any issues with going to True's as far as the tendon guard goes. Pretty sure Mako's was as flexible as they come and I have felt no drawbacks to the more traditional tendon guard on these.

17 hours ago, Left Wing King said:

Why not stick with Supremes?

Yeah, I am wondering the same as well. Don't get me wrong, I love my TRUE skates but if you found something that works well for you why change things? 

I noticed the True goalie skates on display at the LHS were softer in the Achilles area, where the tendon guard rivets in to the player skate; the player skates were as stiff as the rest of the shell there. If they could make you a player skate with a softer Achilles area for the tendon guard to attach to, I doubt you’d be sacrificing ROM compared to what Supremes offer. I’m not sure that’s a build spec they would be happy to fulfill, but it’s an idea. You could see if they have any other options to address that ask. You can’t be the first one to want to keep that feature in your boots.

Edited by flip12

7 hours ago, flip12 said:

I noticed the True goalie skates on display at the LHS were softer in the Achilles area, where the tendon guard rivets in to the player skate; the player skates were as stiff as the rest of the shell there. If they could make you a player skate with a softer Achilles area for the tendon guard to attach to, I doubt you’d be sacrificing ROM compared to what Supremes offer. I’m not sure that’s a build spec they would be happy to fulfill, but it’s an idea. You could see if they have any other options to address that ask. You can’t be the first one to want to keep that feature in your boots.

They’re the same except the goalie skates just cover the back with stitched in neoprene. Same exact same gap in carbon on the back. 

5 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

They’re the same except the goalie skates just cover the back with stitched in neoprene. Same exact same gap in carbon on the back. 

The two pairs I saw at the LHS weren’t the same. There was a noticeably softer Achilles area on the goalie boot. They looked pretty much the same but performed differently in the squeeze test. Maybe the two pairs I saw were not representative of the actual builds..? On the other hand, that is the sole purpose of the display skates. I only have that anecdote to go off of though. Still, I have squeezed a True boot that happened to be softer in the Achilles so theoretically it should be something that they could do again.

Of course, I know the boots roughly look the same, but the display pairs in Rødovre have a distinct stiffness difference around the upper edge. There was a clear lack of the same stiff shell under the surface in the goalie boot.

44 minutes ago, flip12 said:

The two pairs I saw at the LHS weren’t the same. There was a noticeably softer Achilles area on the goalie boot. They looked pretty much the same but performed differently in the squeeze test. Maybe the two pairs I saw were not representative of the actual builds..? On the other hand, that is the sole purpose of the display skates. I only have that anecdote to go off of though. Still, I have squeezed a True boot that happened to be softer in the Achilles so theoretically it should be something that they could do again.

Of course, I know the boots roughly look the same, but the display pairs in Rødovre have a distinct stiffness difference around the upper edge. There was a clear lack of the same stiff shell under the surface in the goalie boot.

Well yes, like i said the goalie boot has a neoprene top rear cuff. 

3 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Well yes, like i said the goalie boot has a neoprene top rear cuff. 

So not the same, like you said. It can’t be both, right?

• Facepalm 1

6 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

They’re the same except the goalie skates just cover the back with stitched in neoprene. Same exact same gap in carbon on the back. 

The ones at the closest True dealer weren't the same. There was clearly a structural and not only a surface difference. The difference in outer materials is obvious from a distance. The structural distance was something I noticed because I squeezed different parts of the boot to check for stiffness. There was a distinct  softness to the collar of the goalie boot that was lacking in the player boot. I pressed on it and it gave in, where the player skate resisted as hard as I could reasonably squeeze. Without time on the True skate production floor, deconstructing both skates, or x-ray vision I'm unable to say where carbon begins and ends on True's boots. But the squeeze test on the pairs I got to inspect definitely showed True can make a skate that is structurally soft around the upper cuff, especially around the Achilles, because I've seen it. I can't say anything about how consistent that build is, if it applies in general to True goalie skates, but it is something I thought would be helpful to the OP.

Would others be willing try the squeeze test for themselves? I won't be by that shop again for a while, but we could see if that's a consistent feature or a rare fluke within hours if others check their local displays or their own skates.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

On 12/7/2019 at 1:28 AM, SkateWorksPNW said:

Yeah, I am wondering the same as well. Don't get me wrong, I love my TRUE skates but if you found something that works well for you why change things? 

Always heard great things about True. I tried some Makos a while back and just found I couldn't get the same ROM from them. When I saw the True skates, the customizable options seem great however the overall design seemed quite similar knowing Cruickshank and Van Horne come from speed skating backgrounds. 

On 12/5/2019 at 10:17 PM, sn1per said:

Thanks in advance

I just recently switched to True Custom from Supremes and didn’t notice the tendon guard. That being said the tendon guard has never been a focal point for me and I’ve never had any issues with range of motion on any Bauer skate I’ve been in, and I’ve been in a lot of them.  Definitely no issues with range of motion in my Trues. 

One note, the True Customs do promote a bit more forward lean than Bauer and from what I can feel some of this comes from the way the back of the boot / heel area is designed. I don’t feel like I can lean back in my skate as far as in Bauer’s but honestly it’s a pretty small difference and I adjusted quickly and easily. Also another quick note I had to change out the Shift holders for Tuuk after trying for several weeks because I just wasn’t able to adjust to those things.