Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Phil8

ice skates for inline player

I've been playing inline all my life, but recently I started playing ice too. I bought some ccm Tack 6092 size 7.5 R. The problem is that in inline i use a bauer vapor 7.5 EE, the Rs are tight, but with the use, the EEs got a little wide. What I would like to know is if there is any line of skates that is R but a bit wider. The problem is the navicular bone, already punch the skates but I think they are tight.

A few questions: 

Do the Tacks fit? You mentioned buying them, and saying the Vapors are too wide, but not how you feel about the Tacks. 

You said the Tacks are R...a quick google tells me that there is a size R between D and E, but I’ve never seen retail skates that are anything but D or EE is the USA. Are they definitely R? And, if so, what country did you buy them in? 

If the EE Vapors were too wide, did you try D Vapors? To me, that seems like the logical starting place.  

When going from inline to ice, you don’t really need anything special in the skates to compensate. You want the best fitting skate for both. You’ll probably end up playing with the profile and hollow of the steel to figure out to feel best on the ice for your skating style. 

2 hours ago, Phil8 said:

I've been playing inline all my life, but recently I started playing ice too. I bought some ccm Tack 6092 size 7.5 R. The problem is that in inline i use a bauer vapor 7.5 EE, the Rs are tight, but with the use, the EEs got a little wide. What I would like to know is if there is any line of skates that is R but a bit wider. The problem is the navicular bone, already punch the skates but I think they are tight.

Well, you can either try bauer 7.5 R, or CCM 7.5 EE.

Also, another thing to try is Bauer 7.0 EE. Your mileage may vary when it comes to going down in size for a tighter fit.

12 hours ago, start_today said:

A few questions: 

Do the Tacks fit? You mentioned buying them, and saying the Vapors are too wide, but not how you feel about the Tacks. 

You said the Tacks are R...a quick google tells me that there is a size R between D and E, but I’ve never seen retail skates that are anything but D or EE is the USA. Are they definitely R? And, if so, what country did you buy them in? 

If the EE Vapors were too wide, did you try D Vapors? To me, that seems like the logical starting place.  

When going from inline to ice, you don’t really need anything special in the skates to compensate. You want the best fitting skate for both. You’ll probably end up playing with the profile and hollow of the steel to figure out to feel best on the ice for your skating style. 

Sorry, my bad,they are D. the vapor wre fine but after 2years they start to get wide, the Tacks are my number, but it seems to be tight on the heel and navicular bone/, going to try the nexus in D, think they are a bit wider than the vapor line.

I also have an accessory navicular bone and had to give up on Tacks.

I went True, but I would also scour for some Graf 705 Wide, they are a bit tight on my forefoot, but my navicular bone seems ok. 

On 12/10/2019 at 3:22 AM, Phil8 said:

the vapor wre fine but after 2years they start to get wide

Or ask yourself why are your skates opening up on you? If you skate neutral, bio mechanically aligned over the skate blade, then this doesn't happen. If you pronate into the skate then they will open up and regardless of what skate you buy, this will always happen. It can be fixed, there are various ways to address pronation or you just buy the stiffest sidewall skates you can with the knowledge that in time they are going to open up and need replacing. A rebake can get you a few months more but once they start to open up it's all downhill from there.

Edited by Vet88

ok guys, tried a pair of bauer nexus and supreme that a teammate had and i went for it. bought myself a pair of supreme s29. the nearest store is around 5h way, so I have to bake then at home. the box has no instructions for baking the skates, I will need to know time and temperature to use in my home oven, can someone help?

9 minutes ago, Phil8 said:

ok guys, tried a pair of bauer nexus and supreme that a teammate had and i went for it. bought myself a pair of supreme s29. the nearest store is around 5h way, so I have to bake then at home. the box has no instructions for baking the skates, I will need to know time and temperature to use in my home oven, can someone help?

175* for 2-3 minutes, or until the boot is soft maybe 5 at most.  It works best in a convection oven if you have one.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, psulion22 said:

175* for 2-3 minutes, or until the boot is soft maybe 5 at most.  It works best in a convection oven if you have one.

175° F, right? Im in europe so makes a lot of difference F to C, lol. Isn't it low my old ccm, i think is was about 212. Anyway going to try that. Thanks

@Phil8, how has the transition been going from inline to ice? Did you get your blades profiled? I wish I had known about profiling when I switched from inline to ice when I was 13. A lot of my initial struggles were due to trying to adapt to a setup that was very different from what I had been skating on for years. Looking back, buying a boot with a very different skating philosophy and not flattening the 9' profile to something longer kept me in the fish-out-of-water phase for a long time.

2 hours ago, Phil8 said:

175° F, right? Im in europe so makes a lot of difference F to C, lol. Isn't it low my old ccm, i think is was about 212. Anyway going to try that. Thanks

yep 175*F

3 hours ago, flip12 said:

@Phil8, how has the transition been going from inline to ice? Did you get your blades profiled? I wish I had known about profiling when I switched from inline to ice when I was 13. A lot of my initial struggles were due to trying to adapt to a setup that was very different from what I had been skating on for years. Looking back, buying a boot with a very different skating philosophy and not flattening the 9' profile to something longer kept me in the fish-out-of-water phase for a long time.

Lol, still fighting with the transition, play more inline that ice, so always a couple of minutes to get things going . Got ccm profiled using 5/8", the s29 aren't sharped yet.

2 hours ago, Phil8 said:

Lol, still fighting with the transition, play more inline that ice, so always a couple of minutes to get things going . Got ccm profiled using 5/8", the s29 aren't sharped yet.

5/8" isn't profiling.  That would be your Round of Hollow or the depth/shape of your edges.  Profile is the curvature of the blade toe to heel. 

Edited by krisdrum
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, krisdrum said:

5/8" isn't profiling.  That would be your Round of Hollow or the depth/shape of your edges.  Profile is the curvature of the blade toe to heel. 

Sorry, forgot to write that part, i think it's 9' with 5/8. But i think that going to try the 11'.

What wheel set up did you have for inline? Going from playing inline all my life to ice, I felt like a shorter profile, 9’, helped me be more comfortable on the ice, because less blade was touching at a given moment. 

I don’t rememberer what I had on my inline chassis, but I tended toward slightly smaller wheels on the front for a more “rockered” feel. 

I’ve only ever tried 9’, 10’, and 11’. My favorite by far is the 11’. It still feels nice and rounded, but meshes much more naturally with my skating mechanics. I’ve learned to overcome that tipping over feeling on 9’, but on both that and 10’, I feel like I’m skating with a parachute on, always slowing down. With the 11’ I feel like I can isolate enough blade to make confident turns whether they’re tight or with speed. Crucially, I feel much more fluid from stride to stride, within that dragging, braking feeling always nagging me.

@flip12 That's exactly why I want to try 11, the dragging effect, bracking, turning, all that.

i have a hi-lo chassi 76mm front 80mm back, before i was using a straight chassis all 80mm, and before that bauer with rocker chassis, love those things!!!⬇️⬇️ mens-bauer-vapor-agility-roller_1_8c5684dee17ecfb79a748fa7f473fc55.jpg