Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
yipperzz

Zuperior S - yipperzz

Profile: Zuperior S by JR.

Hollow: FBV 90/1

Steel: CCM SB 4.0 247

About Me: I started playing roller hockey in junior high ~25 years ago. Started playing ice ~20 years now. Beer leaguer that skates 2-3 times a week. 

Control set: Step Stainless 246. My old profile was a dual radius 8’/12’ with a medium forward pitch done by noicing. I am very comfortable with it now as I have been using them for 4 years.

Acceleration - 4

Mobility - 3

Stability - 3.5

Speed - 3.5

Comments: The Zuperior S initially felt longer or flatter than my old profile. It felt a lot more stable, but I didn’t feel on my toes as much. That made it a little more uncomfortable for me as I have been on a forward pitch profile from noicing and my old Grafs. I didn’t ask JR to put a pitch on them, so that was my mistake. It took a while to get used to in my first game, but I felt pretty comfortable by the end.

I went from FBV 90/75 to 90/1 because I thought 90/75 was closer to 5/8, but according to the Blackstone guide in the Pro Shop, 90/1 is more like 5/8 and 90/75 is more like 3/4. Since this is my first sharpening with JR, I figured I should try 90/1 and adjust from there. 

This may have been a reason I had to take some time to adjust. During the warmups, I felt like I could catch my edge easier and that affected my confidence and my mobility. As I got more comfortable, it felt easier to go edge to edge and my trust came back. By the middle of the 2nd, I was pretty comfortable with the stopping and accelerating. I really liked the agility towards the end of the game and I really felt comfortable accelerating and keeping good speed skating backwards. The first 3-4 strides felt good (even if I’m not on my toes), but I’m not sure if it was also due to the new sharpening as my old runners were due.

Highlight of my 1st game: As I got used to them, I took the puck end to end and beat everyone but the defenseman that forced me outside. I had a battle along the boards, broke free, made some nice pivots, stops/starts, and broke away wide open. I felt very comfortable on my skates on that play.

Lowlight of my 1st game: Later that period I took the puck into the zone right down the middle and went for a quick snap off my front leg. I lost my balance, flubbed the shot, and almost crashed into the boards. I think it’ll take me some time to get used to it, but it has been more good than bad so far.

I’ve played ~10 games and feel a lot more comfortable now. Still not on my toes as much and have been off balance a few times expecting the forward pitch. Other than that, I feel a lot more stable skating forward and back. Acceleration feels better forward and back too. Top speed is not too much different, but feels better than stock. I’m starting to develop some soreness in the shin area due to my legs adjusting to this profile. It’s about time to switch back to the control set to see how they feel.

I will try the quad zero on my other CCM runners and will try to add pitch to these if JR recommends.