Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Lihp8270

CCM custom support vs Bauer speed plate

I previously had a pair of Bauer Supreme S29 that gave me terrible arch pain, until I fitted speed plates. 

I fitted these myself and didn’t rebake the boot itself and everything fitted fine. 

I have now gone into a pair of CCM Tacks 9070 skates to get a better heel fit which is perfect. 

However I still get the same arch pain as in the Bauer’s. I have noticed though that the 9070 is much stiffer than the S29. 

With this in mind I’m also looking at the CCM custom support insole.

Which out of the CCM insole and the Bauer, will have the least affect on the rest of the boot fit? Which is more likely for me to not require re baking the boot?

Are you using the stock CCM insole? The CCM orthomove insoles are not good imo. I've used speed plates on both my as1 and true skates with no issues. I really like the speedplates. Won't use anything else. I've even stocked up and have three pairs of the original speed plates as I like those better than the 2.0s. 

I eventually stuck with the speed plates. 

may as well stick with what I know worked in the past. 

the speed plate 2.0 certainly doesn’t feel as rigid as the first version though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lihp8270 said:

I eventually stuck with the speed plates. 

may as well stick with what I know worked in the past. 

the speed plate 2.0 certainly doesn’t feel as rigid as the first version though. 

Ya I liked the rigidity of the originals. The arch support area of the 2.0s are noticeably flimsier. Still a better option than anything else out there for me. 

I'm the opposite...I prefer the CCM Orthomove.  I have them in my 2xPros and AS-1'S. I put Superfeet Carbon Pros in but went back to the Orthomove. I do like the Superfeet...just prefer the CCMs. I found the stock insoles and Speedplates flimsy.  It's really just about how you feel.

Edited by Jbear
  • Like 1

On 1/10/2020 at 2:55 AM, Jbear said:

I'm the opposite...I prefer the CCM Orthomove.  I have them in my 2xPros and AS-1'S. I put Superfeet Carbon Pros in but went back to the Orthomove. I do like the Superfeet...just prefer the CCMs. I found the stock insoles and Speedplates flimsy.  It's really just about how you feel.

Just coming back on this, although I loved the first version, I am noticing that the speed plate fit isn’t quite so good in the tacks than It was in the supremes. 

In the supremes you couldn’t get them out by hand at all. 

Anyway, I’m curious to now try the CCM insoles, is it critical to bake with them in? I’d like to avoid rebaking to try them, would I get away with just dropping them in?

23 minutes ago, Lihp8270 said:

Just coming back on this, although I loved the first version, I am noticing that the speed plate fit isn’t quite so good in the tacks than It was in the supremes. 

In the supremes you couldn’t get them out by hand at all. 

Anyway, I’m curious to now try the CCM insoles, is it critical to bake with them in? I’d like to avoid rebaking to try them, would I get away with just dropping them in?

U want to be able to get them out.... To air them out and extend the life of your boots.

The first gen also was more rigid and harder to take out bc there's less flex. The sp 2.0 is more flexible

You AREN'T supposed to bake the CCM orthomoves. 

Edited by Sniper9

1 hour ago, Sniper9 said:

U want to be able to get them out.... To air them out and extend the life of your boots.

The first gen also was more rigid and harder to take out bc there's less flex. The sp 2.0 is more flexible

You AREN'T supposed to bake the CCM orthomoves. 

Certainly taking them out to air is better, I was referring to the difficulty of getting them out. 

Anyway, I was referring to the need to bake the boot with the CCM insole, rather than baking the insole itself. 

17 minutes ago, Lihp8270 said:

Certainly taking them out to air is better, I was referring to the difficulty of getting them out. 

Anyway, I was referring to the need to bake the boot with the CCM insole, rather than baking the insole itself. 

I still don't know what you mean. No CCM insole should be baked. If you're not using the CCM insole it came with, take it out bake the boot with the speedplates.  There are videos online showing how to bake the speedplates with the skates together and also how to bake the sp on its own if the boots are already baked. It you're using the CCM insole u need to remove them while the skates are baking and put them back in prior to putting them on for the mould. 

This is the scenario I wanted to avoid. I’ve never had to bake my skates to use the speed plates. I’ve always done the speed plates after. 

I mean the instruction with the speedplates is to be stood up with knees bent for the first minute after they go in. This is contradictory to most skate baking which is to not stand on them. 

Anyway, if I want to try different insoles, and it is going to require baking the skates each time I change, I will have baked the skates 3 or 4 times before finding the set up I like. 

In that case, I will make do with the speed plates for now. 

23 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

I still don't know what you mean. No CCM insole should be baked. If you're not using the CCM insole it came with, take it out bake the boot with the speedplates.  There are videos online showing how to bake the speedplates with the skates together and also how to bake the sp on its own if the boots are already baked. It you're using the CCM insole u need to remove them while the skates are baking and put them back in prior to putting them on for the mould. 

I think he means bake the skate with the insole out, then insert it prior to putting it on his foot.

U don't have to bake the skates. Ideally yes but you don't have to. I've used speed plates on skates that were baked previously with diff insoles inside. If you want to test out different insoles then again ideally you should rebake your skates for the best fit but you don't have to. U can try them on without baking your skates to get a general feel for them and if you like them and want them more fine tunes then bake them. 

I’d also posed this to CCM themselves so if anybody is interested here was their response. 

Hello Mr. Lihp8270

Thank you for contacting Consumer Services at CCM hockey.

You can swap out the stock insoles with our Orthomove insoles. It is not necessary to heat mold the skates with the Orthomove insoles.

The Orthomove insoles comes with 3 different arch types. Low, Medium and High. You may attach risers underneath the insole for your arch type.

We hope this answers your question and we invite you to reply to this e-mail to proceed further.

Kind regards,

<CCM Hockey Team