Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Jazz Star

Skate size help? (mostly Bauer)

Hey all - still new to the site, but it's great for advice.  Hopefully I can get some too!  Long story short: had Mega Air 90s, size 6.5D, loved them, wore them out.  Micron/Canstar/Mega (?) got bought by Bauer. So I got a pair of Bauer Air 90s, 6.5D.  Love them, wearing them now, about halfway through their life, I hope.  But now I'm getting super nervous about what's next. 

I'm cheap, won't buy new (w/o a heavy discount), so I've picked up a few used pair to try and figure out what I would get now, if I did get newish.  Got a pair of Supreme MX3s, size 7D though, because I wear an 8.5 - 9 in shoes. They fit pretty good, but not as good as my Air 90s.  My toes didn't hit the toe of the skate, so then I tried a pair of 6.5D One.8s.  Woe, the length is fine, perfect, but they are too tight around the mid foot (not the forefoot, which I thought was odd) .  Afraid to to even try them on the ice, whereas I did play a game in the MX3s.  So then I tried a pair of One60s in a 6.5EE.  Length is again perfect, but these are a little loose at the forefoot. Ugh.  Maybe if I tighten them up even more?  But then my ankles hurt.  I have a pair of 6.5D Nexus 7000s on the way, but I'm thinking I'll be swimming in those.  

I can't figure out why the One.8s don't fit right.  I really like the skates, the length is perfect, but they are so tight in the midfoot, they hurt.  So that means that Bauer Supremes in the same size as Mega/Bauer Air 90s are narrower.  Hence trying Supreme EE, and a D in Nexus. But the EEs are too wide. 

Any thoughts?  Thicker socks?  Punch the One.8s out?  Try a different pair/model of Supreme 6.5D?  Ugh.   CCM Tacks?  🙂

(The One.8s came with "spacer"  pads under the insoles. Maybe 1mm thick?  I tried the 6.5EE One60s with those pads in there, thinking they might push my foot up higher in the boot to help with the width, but either my thinking is wrong, or they just didn't help enough.) 

8 hours ago, Jazz Star said:

Hey all - still new to the site, but it's great for advice.  Hopefully I can get some too!  Long story short: had Mega Air 90s, size 6.5D, loved them, wore them out.  Micron/Canstar/Mega (?) got bought by Bauer. So I got a pair of Bauer Air 90s, 6.5D.  Love them, wearing them now, about halfway through their life, I hope.  But now I'm getting super nervous about what's next. 

I'm cheap, won't buy new (w/o a heavy discount), so I've picked up a few used pair to try and figure out what I would get now, if I did get newish.  Got a pair of Supreme MX3s, size 7D though, because I wear an 8.5 - 9 in shoes. They fit pretty good, but not as good as my Air 90s.  My toes didn't hit the toe of the skate, so then I tried a pair of 6.5D One.8s.  Woe, the length is fine, perfect, but they are too tight around the mid foot (not the forefoot, which I thought was odd) .  Afraid to to even try them on the ice, whereas I did play a game in the MX3s.  So then I tried a pair of One60s in a 6.5EE.  Length is again perfect, but these are a little loose at the forefoot. Ugh.  Maybe if I tighten them up even more?  But then my ankles hurt.  I have a pair of 6.5D Nexus 7000s on the way, but I'm thinking I'll be swimming in those.  

I can't figure out why the One.8s don't fit right.  I really like the skates, the length is perfect, but they are so tight in the midfoot, they hurt.  So that means that Bauer Supremes in the same size as Mega/Bauer Air 90s are narrower.  Hence trying Supreme EE, and a D in Nexus. But the EEs are too wide. 

Any thoughts?  Thicker socks?  Punch the One.8s out?  Try a different pair/model of Supreme 6.5D?  Ugh.   CCM Tacks?  🙂

(The One.8s came with "spacer"  pads under the insoles. Maybe 1mm thick?  I tried the 6.5EE One60s with those pads in there, thinking they might push my foot up higher in the boot to help with the width, but either my thinking is wrong, or they just didn't help enough.) 

You're cheap... but by my count you've bought 4 pairs of skates so far in your search to find a replacement for your current skates that you hope are only half-way spent.  Even used, you're probably looking at $50 a pair, or $200 total you could have put towards a fitting and a new pair from your LHS.  That is a mid-line Supreme S27 with a professional fitting, right there.

I get it, I'm just like you.  Figure I'll save money by doing a bit of research and finding something cheap that will be good enough.  And when it isn't quite right, more research and another half-educated shot in the dark.  And the pattern continues.  Seldom do you get lucky and find the golden ticket on the first try.  And seldom do you luck out and get out of the pattern before your total investment is less than it would have been had you just bucked up and had a proper fitting.  If you want to cheap out, shoulders, elbows, pants are all good candidates.  Skates, sticks, helmets would be at the bottom of my list, especially skates. 

6 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

I’d suggest you get fitted by somebody who knows what they’re doing, but I’m not touching this one otherwise.

LOL.

I hear you, but in my experience, the shops I've been to to try new, do not have all the different sizes and widths and models available that I'd like to try.  And I don't want to be hassled by someone who wants to sell me something that doesn't fit right, just to get them off the shelf.  That's why I'm doing it this way.

BTW, the last pair I got was $36 shipped.  😉

The one local store, does have one of those Bauer 3D computer model machines.  That would be a last resort if I can't find something used.  But I also don't want "custom" skates either.

22 minutes ago, Jazz Star said:

I hear you, but in my experience, the shops I've been to to try new, do not have all the different sizes and widths and models available that I'd like to try.  And I don't want to be hassled by someone who wants to sell me something that doesn't fit right, just to get them off the shelf.  That's why I'm doing it this way.

BTW, the last pair I got was $36 shipped.  😉

The one local store, does have one of those Bauer 3D computer model machines.  That would be a last resort if I can't find something used.  But I also don't want "custom" skates either.

The Bauer machine is going to tell you which current skates are the best fit for your feet.  That actually might be a good starting point.  If you can narrow it down, any shop worth its salt will order a pair or two for you to try. 

• Like 1

Don't buy used unless you know it's going to fit your foot really well. Since you can't try them on, it's totally a blind buy, and skate fit does change over time, as you're kind of finding out. Say you normally only spend... $200 on skates that are "new to you". You've just blown that budget and now you still don't have skates you like.

Do you skate a lot? I play 2-3x a week in a fairly aggressively men's league and my last skates lasted me 5 seasons before I started to tthink about replacement. If I was cheap (I'm not) I could have easily gotten 1-2 more years out of them. That's 6-7 years for a pair of skates, and even more if you play less that I do. Pretend you bite the bullet and buy a mid range skate for $500. You can't afford to spend $71-83 per YEAR on one of the only things connecting you to the ice while you play??

Hockey skates is one of those things that I will swear up and down that spending the extra buck is worth it. Do you need top of the line Tacks or Jetspeed? No, definitely not. But is trying to cheap your way into an 8 year old skate for $40 over and over again worth the time and hassle just to save a few $$? Nope, not in my opinion. 

If money is a problem, then save up for a few months and go get fit at a store. You have a pretty normal size foot so I don't see why a big store like Pure or Hockey Monk won't have your size in all the major models. If you love hockey and you love playing, it will be worth it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jazz Star said:

When you say "mid foot", where exactly?  Would you say it's the base of the toes or closer to like above the arch?

1 hour ago, z1ggy said:

Don't buy used unless you know it's going to fit your foot really well. Since you can't try them on, it's totally a blind buy, and skate fit does change over time, as you're kind of finding out. Say you normally only spend... $200 on skates that are "new to you". You've just blown that budget and now you still don't have skates you like.

Do you skate a lot? I play 2-3x a week in a fairly aggressively men's league and my last skates lasted me 5 seasons before I started to tthink about replacement. If I was cheap (I'm not) I could have easily gotten 1-2 more years out of them. That's 6-7 years for a pair of skates, and even more if you play less that I do. Pretend you bite the bullet and buy a mid range skate for $500. You can't afford to spend $71-83 per YEAR on one of the only things connecting you to the ice while you play??

Hockey skates is one of those things that I will swear up and down that spending the extra buck is worth it. Do you need top of the line Tacks or Jetspeed? No, definitely not. But is trying to cheap your way into an 8 year old skate for $40 over and over again worth the time and hassle just to save a few $$? Nope, not in my opinion. 

If money is a problem, then save up for a few months and go get fit at a store. You have a pretty normal size foot so I don't see why a big store like Pure or Hockey Monk won't have your size in all the major models. If you love hockey and you love playing, it will be worth it.

I hear you.  I got spoiled though.  I even remember that my original Mega Air 90s cost ~$250, that was in 1995, and that was a lot of money, but I got I think close to 15 years out of them!  (I play 1 - 2 times a week. )

I realize my approach might not be for everyone, but I get to try out a bunch of different skates to zero in on what I want, in that I really have no frame of reference because my skates are so old.  Later on, I could sell most of these though, and get back most of what I spent anyway.

[I can afford whatever I want.  But sometimes my unwillingness to spend money does cause me to maybe make not the best choices!]

All this is helping,  Maybe I am just being too cheap ...  I am a little paranoid about spending a lot of money for the wrong skates too though.  

Edited by Jazz Star

24 minutes ago, psulion22 said:

When you say "mid foot", where exactly?  Would you say it's the base of the toes or closer to like above the arch?

Midfoot ... ok, if the widest part of my foot is 2/3s closer to the toes (the forefoot?), the mid foot is right behind that.  That's why I thought it was odd that that's where they were the tightest.  Almost like the widest part of the skate is fine for the widest part of my foot up there, but then as you go back towards the heel (but before the arch), the skate narrows much more quickly than my foot does.  Kind of like this:

toes - toebox

forefoot (the widest part)

midfoot

arch

heel

I just looked it up, and I guess the midfoot is the arch, but where the One.8s hurt is not the arch, it's in front of the arch.  More like right behind the forefoot.  Hard to explain, but hopefully all that makes sense.  I've never had to think about all this before, so my terminology might be a little off.

6 minutes ago, Jazz Star said:

Midfoot ... ok, if the widest part of my foot is 2/3s closer to the toes (the forefoot?), the mid foot is right behind that.  That's why I thought it was odd that that's where they were the tightest.  Almost like the widest part of the skate is fine for the widest part of my foot up there, but then as you go back towards the heel (but before the arch), the skate narrows much more quickly than my foot does.  Kind of like this:

toes - toebox

midfoot

arch

heel

I just looked it up, and I guess the midfoot is the arch, but where the One.8s hurt is not the arch, it's in front of the arch.  More like right behind the forefoot.  Hard to explain, but hopefully all that makes sense.  I've never had to think about all this before, so my terminology might be a little off.

Id call that the arch.

Anyway... Your issue with the One.8 is really a narrow forefoot. Anything between where the toes meet the foot and the front side of the arch is the forefoot. That area may expand with baking and may even require some punching.

38 minutes ago, Jazz Star said:

toes - toebox

midfoot

arch

heel

Here's the thing, and why I'm asking.  For whatever reason, those One.x numbered skates, including the top tier NXG, have a narrowing where the toe box meets the quarter.  For me, that manifests itself as tightness slightly behind where the pinky toe meets my foot, or what you're describing as the forefoot. That would seem to align with what you're describing. The slight difference in sizing between the 7 MX3 and 6.5 One.8 may be the cause for the issues, as could the difference in materials of the quarter.  But in the newer model since the 1S, the toe box has a different shape and that narrowing is gone.  So you may want to try a skate in the newer lines that would be the Sxx0 numbering system.

Another thing to consider would be a EE width Vapor series if you can fit in the lower volume.  That is a tapered boot and will just increase in width from ankle to toe rather than the Supreme which is straighter.  It may give you a better fit in that area, and would be more narrow than a EE Supreme skate, so you wouldn't get the loseness up front.

I get that you don't want to go into a shop and get hassled.  I don't either.  I'm in your same boat because I need new skates and would rather spend the money getting a used pair of the top tier skates cheaper than a mid tier skate at full price.  So to go into a store to get fit and try things on with no intention of buying seems a little douchey.  Nonetheless, I did just that this weekend and without doing it, I would have bought the completely wrong size of skate.  Apparently Supreme sizing changed with the 1S line and I no longer fit in the 8 that I used to.  If I hadn't gone in and put an 8 on, I wouldn't have known until I bought one and got it which would have just complicated things.  I went in and told the guys the situation.  I was up front about what I was going to do and didn't take any more of their time or effort than necessary.  All I asked was for them to get me the skate and leave it, I didn't need any help after that.  And they didn't pressure me to buy anything or hover over me because they knew the deal.  Yeah it sucks for the store, but they weren't busy and get paid by the hour anyway, so what difference does it make to them?  I just got off a chat with a Bauer fit rep, and he suggested that anyone do the exact same thing.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jazz Star said:

I hear you.  I got spoiled though.  I even remember that my original Mega Air 90s cost ~$250, that was in 1995, and that was a lot of money, but I got I think close to 15 years out of them!  (I play 1 - 2 times a week. )

I realize my approach might not be for everyone, but I get to try out a bunch of different skates to zero in on what I want, in that I really have no frame of reference because my skates are so old.  Later on, I could sell most of these though, and get back most of what I spent anyway.

[I can afford whatever I want.  But sometimes my unwillingness to spend money does cause me to maybe make not the best choices!]

All this is helping,  Maybe I am just being too cheap ...  I am a little paranoid about spending a lot of money for the wrong skates too though.  

Get fit for ccm. 90 day no question asked return policy. I used ft1 and ft2 this way, paid $0 to use them for 3 months each. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, z1ggy said:

Get fit for ccm. 90 day no question asked return policy. I used ft1 and ft2 this way, paid $0 to use them for 3 months each. 

I did not know about that policy, thanks!!

20 hours ago, psulion22 said:

Here's the thing, and why I'm asking.  For whatever reason, those One.x numbered skates, including the top tier NXG, have a narrowing where the toe box meets the quarter.  For me, that manifests itself as tightness slightly behind where the pinky toe meets my foot, or what you're describing as the forefoot. That would seem to align with what you're describing. The slight difference in sizing between the 7 MX3 and 6.5 One.8 may be the cause for the issues, as could the difference in materials of the quarter.  But in the newer model since the 1S, the toe box has a different shape and that narrowing is gone.  So you may want to try a skate in the newer lines that would be the Sxx0 numbering system.

Another thing to consider would be a EE width Vapor series if you can fit in the lower volume.  That is a tapered boot and will just increase in width from ankle to toe rather than the Supreme which is straighter.  It may give you a better fit in that area, and would be more narrow than a EE Supreme skate, so you wouldn't get the loseness up front.

I get that you don't want to go into a shop and get hassled.  I don't either.  I'm in your same boat because I need new skates and would rather spend the money getting a used pair of the top tier skates cheaper than a mid tier skate at full price.  So to go into a store to get fit and try things on with no intention of buying seems a little douchey.  Nonetheless, I did just that this weekend and without doing it, I would have bought the completely wrong size of skate.  Apparently Supreme sizing changed with the 1S line and I no longer fit in the 8 that I used to.  If I hadn't gone in and put an 8 on, I wouldn't have known until I bought one and got it which would have just complicated things.  I went in and told the guys the situation.  I was up front about what I was going to do and didn't take any more of their time or effort than necessary.  All I asked was for them to get me the skate and leave it, I didn't need any help after that.  And they didn't pressure me to buy anything or hover over me because they knew the deal.  Yeah it sucks for the store, but they weren't busy and get paid by the hour anyway, so what difference does it make to them?  I just got off a chat with a Bauer fit rep, and he suggested that anyone do the exact same thing.

Great info!  Hee, hee, I have recently thought about an EE Vapor.  🙂  And yes, I hesitate to go into a hockey store and ask for help without a real intention to buy.  But maybe just being honest about the whole thing could work too.

28 minutes ago, Jazz Star said:

I did not know about that policy, thanks!!

Great info!  Hee, hee, I have recently thought about an EE Vapor.  🙂  And yes, I hesitate to go into a hockey store and ask for help without a real intention to buy.  But maybe just being honest about the whole thing could work too.

To further this info.  I went back to my store and did the Bauer scan yesterday.  I had a teammate working, so he didn't really care.  According to the scan, I'm a C width and should fit best in a Vapor 8.5D.  I don't like the Vapor fit, so I went with Supreme 8.5D which fit great.  I had spoken to a Bauer fit rep over their chat for a long time yesterday.  He insisted that if I were a EE width in my MX3s, I should still be a EE width in the new sizing, just a 1/2 size bigger.  I got contrary advice from someone on here, which is why I went and did the scan.  So it turns out that I've never really been an EE width and the only reason I needed it in the first place was that junction point at the toe cap and quarter.  You really do need to try on skates to get the proper size.  Be upfront and courteous.  If they have the scanner, it takes like 2 minutes and very little effort on their part.  Ask to try on a Vapor and Supreme skate in the size the scanner recommends just to make sure it's correct and see which fit you like better.  If it's still bothersome to you, throw the kid a $10 for his trouble.  The only caveat is that the scanner is going to give you the sizing for the current line of skates.  If you go back past anything with the S in the name or the line starting with the 1X 2.0, it all goes out the window.  But if you do go and get a good fit and are confident you're buying the right size, maybe you'll be willing to spend a little more to get the more recent stuff.  Just a thought.

Edited by psulion22

I stumbled into a shop I've never been in before out of curiosity a couple weeks ago for a sharpen...I was poking around at the new line of CCM skates,, owner walks in and proclaims that "every skate on the wall will fit me 'cause they are all heat moldable!'  I said "Oh really, cool!"

On 1/7/2020 at 2:56 AM, Jazz Star said:

Oh yeah, I had a pair of Micron Mega Air 90s in 6.0D. Those were great. They were made with real leather back in the day... and so when I took some time off of hockey and got back into it, I saw the insides covered with mold. So, I bought Bauer Supreme 6000s in 6.0D, that was okay. At the time, that is what I could afford, I think the top of the line was Supreme 8000s with more bells and whistles. A couple years ago, the 6000s were becoming weak so I bought a pair of CCM Jetspeed. They are in 5.5 EE (before CCM's switch to align sizes with Bauer), 5.5 D was too narrow. They fit pretty good, really awesome heel lock, at least for my foot. The left foot fits better than the right foot though because I have a wider right foot. They were hard to break into to at the start, really stiff boot, no lace bite though. Your mileage may vary.

Like other cheapos, I bought them because they were on clearance... and since Junior sized CCM skates cost half as much as senior sized CCM skates, I bought them. 

Edited by caveman27

8 hours ago, caveman27 said:

Oh yeah, I had a pair of Micron Mega Air 90s in 6.0D. Those were great. They were made with real leather back in the day... and so when I took some time off of hockey and got back into it, I saw the insides covered with mold. So, I bought Bauer Supreme 6000s in 6.0D, that was okay. At the time, that is what I could afford, I think the top of the line was Supreme 8000s with more bells and whistles. A couple years ago, the 6000s were becoming weak so I bought a pair of CCM Jetspeed. They are in 5.5 EE (before CCM's switch to align sizes with Bauer), 5.5 D was too narrow. They fit pretty good, really awesome heel lock, at least for my foot. The left foot fits better than the right foot though because I have a wider right foot. They were hard to break into to at the start, really stiff boot, no lace bite though. Your mileage may vary.

Like other cheapos, I bought them because they were on clearance... and since Junior sized CCM skates cost half as much as senior sized CCM skates, I bought them. 

There is a store here that buys and sells used skates.  That's where I got the 7.0 MX3s.  (OK, $70 for those. They could work long term, but that was before I figured out that a 6.5 in Air 90's is still a 6.5 in Bauer in general.) They had a pair of Supreme 4000s that fit pretty good, but I couldn't tell what size they were.  (Now, I know about checking the holder length, if I can find it.) 

The industry seemed to change the definition of "Jr".  😉 At some point, even 6.5s were Jr, because one of the pair I got was advertised as Jr! 

Good info about the CCM Jetspeeds.  I had been more looking at Tacks, because of medium, medium, medium, but then also Ribcor, because my son wears those in a D, but his feet are on the slightly wide side, and they supposedly are more flexible than most skates.  That's what the graphic says, anyway.  I've been using this site *a lot* recently:

http://beerleaguetips.com/article/hockey-skate-lineup-comparison/

Oh, and then @psulion22, so S160, but not 160 ... ??

Edited by Jazz Star

On 1/8/2020 at 8:34 AM, Jazz Star said:

Almost like the widest part of the skate is fine for the widest part of my foot up there, but then as you go back towards the heel (but before the arch), the skate narrows much more quickly than my foot does.

If the boot fits you well every else get it punched / stretched in that area. Any half decent pro shop should be able to do it or you can stretch it yourself at home for about $20 of parts you can find at your local home depot etc.

I accidentally on purpose found out something else.  I'm cheap, remember?  🙂  So there are Superfeet, Bauer Speed Plates, etc ...  I got a pair of these to try (completely different reason, actually, but plays into "skate size"):

https://www.purehockey.com/product/elite-hockey-pro-hockey-skate-insoles/

I tried with with my regular Bauer Air 90s for my last game.  They made my left skate too tight!  My left foot is a half size to one full size bigger than my right.  (I actually didn't  know that before all  this.  But I did the tracing out of both my feet on a piece of paper, to try and get the size from "basic principles"!)  Right fit perfect, anyway, I'll go back to the stock insoles for those skates.  But if I use the Elite Pro insoles with the 6.5 EE One60's, might take care of the clunkiness/looseness/floppyness of those up front.  One other minor interesting thing, with all those used pair I've tried at home, and the two pair I've played games in, heel lock is never a problem.  Whew.

Also, I tried on the One.8 pair again, but with bare feet.  I realized I had only tried the right skate before, that was my too tight/hurts comment, in front of the arch, slight behind the forefoot/ball of my foot observation. Left foot?  Too tight dead nuts on the widest part of the forefoot.