Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Jbear

Vapor 2x Pro Shreds Laces

Anyone else find that the molded eyelets chew up their laces?  Maybe I need to go waxed? My AS1's have metal eyelets...no issues. The Bauers are eating them up! Thoughts? Just change laces every few weeks (I skate 4-5 times a week)?

Edited by Jbear

I would inspect the eyelets to make sure there's no damage to them (on the inside as well) or a defect that might be destroying your laces. I once was in a pile up where I got my laces cut from a skate blade that had also damaged my eyelets unbeknownst to me, and when I went to put in new laces in the locker room it shredded my emergency pair immediately.

Edited by Giltis

Eyelets seem okay in terms of "damage." Maybe I will take some really fine sandpaper and polish them. I can feel them grabbing.  That's great for keeping the laces tight, but I'm chewing up laces like crazy. Anyone have a favorite super-tough skatelace?

On 1/11/2020 at 6:36 PM, Hills said:

This company was supposed to send me a few sets to review... and they never came.

But they evidently have decent reviews for their work boot laces so perhaps check them out?

https://www.ironlace.com/

I ordered a set from them a while back and was not impressed. Especially for how stupid expensive they were. 

21 hours ago, Giltis said:

I don't use these, but I've heard some people using Derby Laces?

https://derbylaces.com/

These just seem like basic laces. 

Problem solved. I took a rat-tail file to the eyelets. They were hooking the fibers every time I loosened my laces. I guess they were designed to do that so they'd stay tight,  but...not worth having to change laces every ten skates...that's once every other week for me. 

• Like 2

On 1/16/2020 at 6:02 PM, Jbear said:

Problem solved. I took a rat-tail file to the eyelets. They were hooking the fibers every time I loosened my laces. I guess they were designed to do that so they'd stay tight,  but...not worth having to change laces every ten skates...that's once every other week for me. 

We're u using wax or none waxed laces. 

On 1/16/2020 at 7:02 PM, Jbear said:

Yeah, it's that stupid locking design. I hate it. 

I maybe have to tighten laces one time in the third period...every fourth or fifth game.  I don't need a locking system. I'm sure some like it...can only speak for myself. I love everything else about these skates. I was alternating with my AS1's but last few games have been sticking with the Bauers.  I'm sure that  the next sucky game I have...I'll switch off. Much more fun to blame my skates👍😎

Edited by Jbear

9 minutes ago, Jbear said:

I maybe have to tighten laces one time in the third period...every fourth or fifth game.  I don't need a locking system. I'm sure some like it...can only speak for myself. I love everything else about these skates. I was alternating with my AS1's but last few games have been sticking with the Bauers.  I'm sure that  the next sucky game I have...I'll switch off. Much more fun to blame my skates👍😎

Bauer skates just dont seem to work for me. I have tried to use Vapors multiple times since the 2X Pro released and each time I found the fit too sloppy for me compared to my TRUE skates or my custom FT2s. Going custom in the Bauer really isn't going to fix that issue since its not really a sizing issue, it's specifically how the skate wraps. When the new Supreme skates release later this year I am going to give those a try. Maybe I have needed a Vapor fit in a Supreme skate and thats my main issue 😉