Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Leo fifty five

Too HEAVY for Skates??

Sup everyone!

New guy here, i recently started playing again as a winger at a beer league level. I used to play "semi" pro as a goalie, (the league was pro but i was not lol)

So I'm not the best skater as a winger, i have a skillset, its just quite different

I mention this because i recently ordered bauer s29, an old sponsor hooked me up for 225 euro. but  I recently learned that they are soft to help out beginners. Now im no beginner but im certainly not a master of skating out as a forward and im quite heavy too: 1m86/6ft1 and lets just say im definitely a heavyweight at over 250 lbs (part of the reason i started playing this year)

Then yesterday an old teammate said he could sell me his used bauer 1s skates used a pro season but half a size bigger for 160 euros (size nine instead of 8.5)

Now when my last season i was in vapor 1x pro goalie skates in a 9 but i heard skates too big could really hurt skating technique.

So my question is would S 29s be to soft?

Keep the s29s or send em back and get the 1s?

Any advice would be much appreciated, i don t know much about player gear

Best

Edited by Leo fifty five
Wrong title

It's all player preference. My FT2 were as stiff as I thought I'd possibly be able to use and when I switched to True's it felt like I Was skating with concrete hiking books on (the stiffness of boot, not the weight). However, I got used to it and I actually like how stiff it is now. I don't think something ultra stiff suits most people but for somebody that weighs 250, I could maybe see stiffness helping to extend life of boot.

You really want to get the advice of some of the shop owners here. I only weigh 190 and my Mako's were fairly soft for top level boots and started to really soften up around year 5. If you do go stiffer, you may find yourself wanting to drop an eyelet when you lace. I did with FT2's, but I don't with my True's because they are already fairly aggressively pitched forward.

I´m 52, 170 cm and 105 kG size 6.5D. I`m playing beginner-amateur-level. I had different skates till i found something adequate to skate in. I want or need a good support from my skates.

I had Nexus N2900 which are similar to the S29. I could feel them twisting and sqeezing under my load, loosing a noticeable amount of power in the skates and not going into the ice and having not enough support.

Now I´m on used Supreme S180. They are way more stiff than the N2900 and give me the support i want and transfer my power better to the ice.

Are the 8.5 fitting you loose ore tight?  I prefer a normal-tight fit. Can you try the 1s? And don´t forget the width, Bauer EE are a half size longer than D!

It’s all personal preference!

i’m a heavyweight myself (180cm/108kg/240lbs) but i still prefer skates with a more flexible/lower upper that allow a greater forward flex/ankle flex for better skating mechanichs..

People on this forum complaining about skates being to soft are just gearwhores with weak ankles who cant skate properly 😂

Mike Gartner (in his prime) would still out skate most of todays nhl players in Soft old CCM Tacks skates!

my top 3 skates.

1. Graf Supra 707/G7
2. Easton Mako M7

3. Graf Supra 704

I also love the M7, but wouldn't necessarily call it a soft skate. It's not as stiff as some current high end skates, but it's stiffer than the old CCM 652 pumps I used to wear. It's certainly cut lower than some other skates which helps with forward flex, but I find the M7 to be stiffer than the OG Makos. 

As for the OP, I'd focus on getting skates the right size and fit vs. focusing on stiffness. Yes, as a bigger guy you don't want low end skates that offer no support, but the S29 is a mid-range boot that should offer enough support for beer league. If they fit well, I'd go for those in the 8.5 rather than going a half size bigger to get a higher end, stiffer skate. If you're sure you really want a higher end skate, then I'd look for a deal on a pair in your size. I wouldn't jump up a half size just to get a deal. 

I'm also in the heavier than average category at around 230lbs; I did find that after a few years the OG Makos felt too soft for me, but the M7's I use for roller (a mid-range skate) feel like they provide plenty of support and I've used them for a couple seasons now. I use Mako II's for ice, which are high end skates, but they're considered to be softer than skates like top of the line Vapors, Supremes and Tacks and I'm very happy with them. 

Edited by althoma1

No, the M7 is not that soft, but still lower cut which provide more ankle movement.

One skate i totally forgot is Easton Ultra lite pro SBX. Stiff lower part, and a soft, low cut upper part. A really great skate if your ankles are strong enough!