Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Recommended Posts

Got hammered last night by some dude who not just blindsided me but also gave me a pretty gnarly shot to the ribs with his butt end when he hit me. My ribs have been killing me all day. Thursday nights are a non-checking league, so I wasn't really paying attention for a full-contact hit. Obviously, the pass was slightly behind me which didn't help either. 

Ohn and make sure to watch the ref in the corner at the end. He falls pretty bad. LOL

 

Edited by SkateWorksPNW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Howdy,

I can never see what's happening too well with these Live Barn style single camera setups, but that certainly didn't look like a no check league to me.

Why'd the ref fall?

Mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blindside full body check. Definitely a penalty and it looks like the back ref had a penalty on delay as his arm is up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

I can never see what's happening too well with these Live Barn style single camera setups, but that certainly didn't look like a no check league to me.

Why'd the ref fall?

Mark

Maybe this view is better for you?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, althoma1 said:

Blindside full body check. Definitely a penalty and it looks like the back ref had a penalty on delay as his arm is up. 

I was more shocked they only called 2 min for this.... It was clear the guy had intent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

Definitely a penalty in no-check league. The opposing player definitely had intent to take you out with the body.  Probably worse, cause you weren't expecting to get taken out like that.

Yeah I am definitely feeling it. He stuck me good in the ribs with his butt end on the hit. I need to go get scanned just to make sure everything is ok. It hurts to breathe deeply and my right side is incredibly sensitive and sore. I assume bruised ribs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like 2 for either interference or roughing (can’t tell exactly whether puck was touched or not). My initial thought was interference but I rewatched a couple times trying to see the puck. I’d still be inclined to go for interference because it doesn’t look so much like an actual body check as just a shove from the side.

Either way, 2 min penalty. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least 2 mins in a non-checking league, in my league if there's intent like this then he's often gone for longer. 

Strange play by him, because I think he had a clean chance of playing the puck instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In most leagues that's a 2 minute penalty. Some non-contact men's leagues either make body contact an automatic 4 minute penalty or allow refs to make any call a 4 minute penalty depending on the degree of force. I could see that as a 2 or 4, but it definitely doesn't look like a major or match based on either video and unless you're playing in a league that allows for a double minor for body contact (or roughing or interference; however you want to classify it); it's going to be a 2 minute penalty. If there was an intentional butt end then it could've been more, but you can't see that from the video and it would be very hard for the refs to catch that. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Howdy,

Yeah, agreed on 2 minutes most likely... Its still hard to see much on the video and there's no way to know if the guy was otherwise being an ass prior to this, which could influence me, but I would imagine that I'd have given him a minor for checking.

Mark

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

I don’t see any kind of intent besides knocking him down. 2 mins max. 

I would say there is intent as he didn't even try to play the puck, he went straight for the body. 

1 hour ago, althoma1 said:

In most leagues that's a 2 minute penalty. Some non-contact men's leagues either make body contact an automatic 4 minute penalty or allow refs to make any call a 4 minute penalty depending on the degree of force. I could see that as a 2 or 4, but it definitely doesn't look like a major or match based on either video and unless you're playing in a league that allows for a double minor for body contact (or roughing or interference; however you want to classify it); it's going to be a 2 minute penalty. If there was an intentional butt end then it could've been more, but you can't see that from the video and it would be very hard for the refs to catch that. 

Yeah, it's impossible for the butt end to show in the video. But if you see what my ribs look like now it would be pretty easy to justify. 

Edited by SkateWorksPNW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

There was intent to rough or interfere, not to injure. That's why 2 minutes is the correct call. 

Agreed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, BenBreeg said:

Exhibit #23 why I don't play men's league!

Not everyone is a bad apple, just some dudes who take it all way too seriously. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I don’t see any kind of intent besides knocking him down. 2 mins max. 

Right, by intent I mean intent to check in a non-check league and not intent to injure.

There are calls in my league where both the players are going after the puck a little too hard, and one gets knocked down incidentally, that is still considered 2 min. Here he obviously just want to knock the other guy down without any effort on the puck itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Giltis said:

Right, by intent I mean intent to check in a non-check league and not intent to injure.

There are calls in my league where both the players are going after the puck a little too hard, and one gets knocked down incidentally, that is still considered 2 min. Here he obviously just want to knock the other guy down without any effort on the puck itself.

I honestly dont mind contact, like I mentioned before I sakte Mondays and that is a full-contact checking league, no open ice hits allowed though, but in this instance, I was not thinking about some player coming from behind/side of me and taking me out. If you arent prepared for such or expecting it the end result could be someone getting seriously hurt. 

Edited by SkateWorksPNW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Not everyone is a bad apple, just some dudes who take it all way too seriously. 

Oh, I agree, but for me it just isn't as enjoyable with even just the random douchebags around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I honestly dont mind contact, like I mentioned before I sakte Mondays and that is a full-contact checking league, no open ice hits allowed though, but in this instance, I was not thinking about some player coming from behind/side of me and taking me out. If you arent prepared for such or expecting it the end result could be someone getting seriously hurt. 

Well exactly, the hit itself isn't that bad, but the fact that you're not expecting it makes it bad.

I find Contact/non-Contact to be a whole different game, I exploit it during non-contact games sometimes because I know I can't get squished.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pulling from my past refereeing experience, here's my scenarios:

From the hit in the video, 2 mins for interference or checking.  Doesn't look like an intent to injure, but definitely intent to use the body on you in a no check game.  Since the puck was in the same vicinity to the play; interference or checking.  If this happened completely away from the puck (say you were just driving to the net for position), I would give the opposing player 2 mins for checking and maybe a 10 min misconduct if he was previously running around, using the body, getting penalties, generally being reckless.  1st infraction, just 2 mins and a warning to ease up on physical contact.  

Assuming he used his butt end and speared you like you said....  5 min major and a game misconduct and a recommendation to the league for an additional game suspension; more games if player has a history.  With that said, spearing is really hard to catch from a refs viewpoint though, especially sneaky butt end spears. 

If this was a full contact game, I would honestly have to say, the play looks fine and I would have allowed it, assuming I didn't see him spear you.  But then again, you probably would have prepared for contact if this was a contact game.

 

 

Edited by shoot_the_goalie
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, BenBreeg said:

Oh, I agree, but for me it just isn't as enjoyable with even just the random douchebags around.

Understandable. It's hard to get away from all of the "I could have gone to the show" guys that play in leagues. 

15 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

Pulling from my past refereeing experience, here's my scenarios:

From the hit in the video, 2 mins for interference or checking.  Doesn't look like an intent to injure, but definitely intent to use the body on you in a no check game.  Since the puck was in the same vicinity to the play; interference or checking.  If this happened completely away from the puck (say you were just driving to the net for position), I would give the opposing player 2 mins for checking and maybe a 10 min misconduct if he was previously running around, using the body, getting penalties, generally being reckless.  1st infraction, just 2 mins and a warning to ease up on physical contact.  

Assuming he used his butt end and speared you like you said....  5 min major and a game misconduct and a recommendation to the league for an additional game suspension; more games if player has a history.  With that said, spearing is really hard to catch from a refs viewpoint though, especially sneaky butt end spears. 

If this was a full contact game, I would honestly have to say, the play looks fine and I would have allowed it, assuming I didn't see him spear you.  But then again, you probably would have prepared for contact if this was a contact game.

 

 

Agreed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×