Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JaggerD

Bauer toe box

I'm pretty new to skating so forgive my ignorance.

I have a pair of Vapor X2.0 size 10 D. They are a touch long, but no real concerns in that department. The heel is incredibly tight around the sides. So tight that after 15-20 minutes or so I have to sit. So I read that the Supreme was a wider skate. Got the S150 size 9.5 D. The length is almost perfect. The heel is great. Tight, but not uncomfortable. The toe box is killing me. Too narrow. Should I try the ee, try a Nexus, move up to a size 10 D??? 

Definitely don`t move up to a 10 if the 9.5 length is correct. I would try a Vapor in a 9.5EE (maybe even 9EE as I find that the Bauer EE skates feel slightly longer than their D width equivalents) if you want to stick to Bauer, but try on everything you can get your feet into and hopefully one clearly fits better than others.

Vapor D - Supreme D - Vapor EE - Nexus D - Supreme EE - Nexus EE are the Bauer widths from narrowest to widest (approximately - they each have their own lasts and toe boxes ect.). 

Where in the front of the foot is it too tight? On the big toe? On the little toe? Across the forefoot? You can get the skate punched to alleviate most issues, especially since you indicated the boot fits you well everywhere else.

You can wear any sock you want but if the skate is a tight fit I'd want to wear thin socks.

Big and little toe getting smooshed on right foot. On left foot only the little toe. Tried with no socks and it seemed to alleviate most of the issue. I'd prefer to wear a sock of some sort. Maybe it's a break-in issue. 

Roughly how long is the break-in period for a pair of skates?

On 1/15/2020 at 5:45 AM, JaggerD said:

Big and little toe getting smooshed on right foot. On left foot only the little toe. Tried with no socks and it seemed to alleviate most of the issue. I'd prefer to wear a sock of some sort. Maybe it's a break-in issue. 

Usually, with the latest skates where there is a thermo-moldable boot, it's usually after a bake and fitting session and on your first or second skate.

I have CCM JetSpeeds which took about 6 skates, skating once a week.

FYI, skate-related questions get a lot more visibility in the Ice Hockey Equipment section of the forum.

On 1/15/2020 at 5:45 AM, JaggerD said:

If you want to wear a sock but need the room try the Pearsox Ultralites, they are no thicker than pantyhose.  Like $3 a pair.

2 hours ago, JaggerD said:

Thanks. Looking them up right now.

Epic sports has them for cheap.  And they run big, I wear an 11 1/2 shoe and can wear either the intermediate or youth size.  The adult came halfway up my thigh and I am 6’3”.