Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
xstartxtodayx

CCM still selling V08 at retail???

Recommended Posts

Just saw a brand new CCM V08 combo at Dicks yesterday and had to check what year it was.  I thought CCM wasn't allowed to sell those at retail anymore due to the lawsuit?  I almost bought it out of instinct since I wouldn't mind another new one in the stable but they only had larges.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/ccm-vector-08-ice-hockey-helmet-combo-16ccmuvctr08hlmtchkp/16ccmuvctr08hlmtchkp

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never worn these, but looking at GearGeek it's the most popular helmet in the NHL. 

Any particular reason why? Is it super light?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks, fit, etc. the weight is basically the same as most other helmets I guess.  I can't stand the newer helmets, they just don't feel or fit me right, but the V08's are perfect and I love the way they look.  I'm guessing this is why so many pros still use them too... also their design is part of the reason I thought they couldn't sell them (something about they contracted someone to design it but never paid or somehow didn't uphold their part of the contract, so now they weren't allowed to sell commercially anymore, don't quote me on that being 100% accurate bu something to that extent).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, xstartxtodayx said:

Looks, fit, etc. the weight is basically the same as most other helmets I guess.  I can't stand the newer helmets, they just don't feel or fit me right, but the V08's are perfect and I love the way they look.  I'm guessing this is why so many pros still use them too... also their design is part of the reason I thought they couldn't sell them (something about they contracted someone to design it but never paid or somehow didn't uphold their part of the contract, so now they weren't allowed to sell commercially anymore, don't quote me on that being 100% accurate bu something to that extent).

https://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=15970951189334714875&q=hefter+impact&hl=en&as_sdt=6,47&as_ylo=2017

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Giltis said:

I've never worn these, but looking at GearGeek it's the most popular helmet in the NHL. 

Any particular reason why? Is it super light?

Lots of current NHLers grew up playing with this helmet, although probably more from the previous generation of NHLers (think players who are now in their 40s-50s).  A lot of it is probably players wearing what they're used to.  I still have one in use.  It's not particularly light (average I would say), but the foams are incredibly comfortable, and it's a good looking, low-profile helmet.  Wasn't very expensive if I recall too.  I only use it now when coaching or stick & puck sessions, cause my V08 is a touch big, so I wear a better fitting helmet for league play.

Edited by shoot_the_goalie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, xstartxtodayx said:

Just saw a brand new CCM V08 combo at Dicks yesterday

When I was looking for a replacement helmet this past fall I found a V08 (lid only) on fleaBay in my size and thought I was lucky to snatch it up.  A few days later I see all three sizes on the shelf at Dicks and they were combos for $20 cheaper! Kinda laughed at myself and re-evaluated the first purchase. I thought they were discontinued. Luckily they accepted returns cause although it seemed like a great helmet my ears were mostly exposed under the guards. Wished it worked cause it was much less assuming than the Reakt-75 I ended up with. Its comfortable and all but makes me look like a martian. The V08 was medium had to go L in the Reakt 75.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good chance if there was a lawsuit not related to safety, they would still be allowed to sell existing inventory but not make future runs. 

 

But I am not a lawyer and I am not familiar with this situation at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2020 at 9:58 AM, SkateWorksPNW said:

As someone who remembered all of that in real-time (and actually being at the show where that helmet was under a glass bubble) the V08 wasn't the issue.  CCM bought it (cash and royalties), scrapped it, modified the shell, made V08.  Hefter (who posted on MSH a few months ago about something completely unrelated) sued because he felt that the subsequent helmets (11k/Resistance/FL) were still based on the design, and wanted royalties on it.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with ALL of the helmets with this type foam is that the foam eventually hardens and becomes useless as protection. My old CCM's from the 80's are rock hard inside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a V10 because I hated the type of foam that was in the V08. I've never understood how anyone can think that style foam is comfortable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sport check in my city had many, it’s where’s I got my replacement black one. Have had a hell of s time getting a new white one. All so expensive online so  I went with a 4K (which isn’t nearly as comfy). I prefer the vn foam and the v08 is by far the most comfortable helmet I’ve ever worn. It fits me so perfectly and I never get pressure headaches like I do in my 4K

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I had a V10 because I hated the type of foam that was in the V08. I've never understood how anyone can think that style foam is comfortable. 

see, I'm the opposite... I can't stand that hard bike helmet type shell inside the V10 and many newer helmets, I prefer the cushioning the VN gives me.  I've also tried a Bauer IMS9 and didn't care for that padding either.  My V08's are both maybe 10 years old and still have soft padding, seeing how I might be able to find a new one here or there I'll have to keep my eyes open.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, xstartxtodayx said:

see, I'm the opposite... I can't stand that hard bike helmet type shell inside the V10 and many newer helmets, I prefer the cushioning the VN gives me.  I've also tried a Bauer IMS9 and didn't care for that padding either.  My V08's are both maybe 10 years old and still have soft padding, seeing how I might be able to find a new one here or there I'll have to keep my eyes open.

I find the VN way too hard and didn’t conform to my head shape. So my helmet history is basically V10, Bauer ReAkt, CCM 710, and Bauer NME for goalie masks (the more common Profile series used VN foams). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, xstartxtodayx said:

see, I'm the opposite... I can't stand that hard bike helmet type shell inside the V10 and many newer helmets, I prefer the cushioning the VN gives me.  I've also tried a Bauer IMS9 and didn't care for that padding either.  My V08's are both maybe 10 years old and still have soft padding, seeing how I might be able to find a new one here or there I'll have to keep my eyes open.

Same here.  My V08 died and I am currently rocking a bauer 5100.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, chippa13 said:

I thought I loved the V08 until I got a 310. Night and day more comfortable and lighter.

I had a 310 for a week but it didn't fit my head, it was too square especially in the front.  It felt good at first but then 5 minutes into the game I'd have a lot of pain no matter how I adjusted it, I guess my head is just too oval for it.  I guess once you find that helmet that's just the right shape for you it's the one you keep coming back to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chippa13 said:

I thought I loved the V08 until I got a 310. Night and day more comfortable and lighter.

That’s how I felt with the ReAkt. I thought it was amazing... then I tried the 710 and 310. Wow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder why I can’t stand the new kinds of foam... they are more protective but they never fit my head properly. I haven’t found a modern helmet close to the v08 in terms of comfort. Second place for myself was probably the warrior px+ but it got so hot and was heavy. I’ve tried the 710 and it wasn’t st all comfy. Same with the reeakt and the ims9.0. I must have a weird head or something. I’m just nervous for the day I can’t find one. I all ready can’t get a white one easily. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×