Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Jbear

Shoulder Pads...Help?

Okay so...in college I didn't even wear shoulder pads (unless a ref made me...70s-80s).  In the 90s I tried and abandoned them...just hated the bulk.  I was out of hockey from 97 until this year (thanks to two new hips).  Now...my wife wants me to wear them and...she has a point.  At 59...not as bullet proof, and I'm playing with and against some pretty speedy folks.  

I have Supreme 1S pads, but the caps are so damn big to me.  I feel like a fire hydrant wearing them.  I am 5'9"/167.  Any suggestions for a pair of SP's that are sleek but protective?  I am actually considering removing the caps from my Bauer's and wearing them that way.

All input is welcome! 

Edited by Jbear

Take the caps off your Bauers and see how that goes, if otherwise you're going to abandon them.  If that doesn't work, Iceman's suggestions are good.  Or you can go even less protective, and get a lacrosse shirt of a padded hockey shirt.

27 minutes ago, Jbear said:

Okay so...in college I didn't even wear shoulder pads (unless a ref made me...70s-80s).  In the 90s I tried and abandoned them...just hated the bulk.  I was out of hockey from 97 until this year (thanks to two new hips).  Now...my wife wants me to wear them and...she has a point.  At 59...not as bullet proof, and I'm playing with and against some pretty speedy folks.  

I have Supreme 1S pads, but the caps are so damn big to me.  I feel like a fire hydrant wearing them.  I am 5'9"/167.  Any suggestions for a pair of SP's that are sleek but protective?  I am actually considering removing the caps from my Bauer's and wearing them that way.

All input is welcome! 

So, your Supreme 1S pads are kind of normal shoulder caps. If you never wore any shoulder pads, any current shoulder pad is going to feel like football pads. Look at everyone in the NHL.

Sherwood 5030s are really low if you want to look like Doug Glimour sleek.

I'll check them out...thank you. Also going to try the Tour Code 1 padded shirt.  Still might just hack the caps off my Bauer's. Maybe have a shoemaker modify them so the caps are removable. 

You try to see if you like the CCM FT series or try to find the RBZ lines as those have a lower profile cap from my experience.

Another option similar to the Tour Code 1 option but with a littler better padding would be the Bauer Official Reffing Padded Shirts.

These pads are pretty much like the roller pads but with a slightly thicker protection more suited for ice pucks and around the same price.

I wear them for roller and like them a lot.

5 hours ago, Jbear said:

I'll check them out...thank you. Also going to try the Tour Code 1 padded shirt.  Still might just hack the caps off my Bauer's. Maybe have a shoemaker modify them so the caps are removable. 

Word of warning about the tour shirt.  It is really short and sizing off.  Two of us in beer league tried it, but went with the mission one.

15 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I imagine taking a shot to the chest with those DC9 and my rib cage collapsing, lol 

I wear the Winwell's and those stark's have to be more protective in the chest and spine than my winwells. I'd consider changing to them if I could remove the bicep guard and keep the caps on.

I ordered an XL, and if it sux...I'll just return it. After that...maybe just hack my Supremes. I actually like everything about them except for the shoulder caps.  

I'm 5'9" 165, 40" chest, 33-34 waist...the Tour XL is HUGE on me...returning for a medium. I like the design though.

Edited by Jbear

On 1/14/2020 at 3:26 PM, Jbear said:

Still might just hack the caps off my Bauer's. Maybe have a shoemaker modify them so the caps are removable. 

At the risk of sounding like a handwringing parent, why wear shoulder pads for protection is you’re just going to cut off the caps? 

The shoulder injuries I’ve seen in adult leagues are never from checks. It’s typically incidental contact that you wouldn’t otherwise think about. The two that stand out to me are a guy watching the play move up ice and banging hard into the glass, not knowing how close he was, and the other catching a rut by the bench and falling shoulder first into the boards. Both guys are good skaters and just had bad luck while not wearing shoulder pads (but now they both do). 

In my opinion, if youre going to wear equipment for protection, wear it correctly and avoid potential problems.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Like 2

No argument...I still wear a half shield too...not too smart at this speed, but...old habits die hard...as will I probably 🥅🏒🇨🇦🤣😎

On 1/18/2020 at 4:02 PM, Jbear said:

No argument...I still wear a half shield too...not too smart at this speed, but...old habits die hard...as will I probably 🥅🏒🇨🇦🤣😎

Id try the 5030's, Im 29 and play pretty decent level of mens hockey, I wear them, however I took the chest plate from my old shoulder pads and attached it on the chest. Once your not hitting really the ribs/back is the concern. I did it because I was like 7 or 8 when pronger took that puck to the heart. Always wanted good chest protection lol. You could do a padded shirt under the 5030's too, but I cannot with the way the guys shoot in my league. Most of us played anywhere from AA travel-juniors college I am confident they would cause organ damage or bone breakage lol.

Edit- Dont remind me about Visors lmao, I do not have dental right now, and recently switched to a cage...... I HATE IT haha. As soon as I get dental back the Straight cut is going right back on. I cant see anything right now, although its only been since the new year lol! The only thing I will say good about a cage is I now see why they are considered an "advantage" in the nhl. I am much more daring haha

Edited by Bender94

That sounds about the same level I'm playing right now.  I like the protection of the Bauer...just trying to get used to the bulk.  Anyway...I am going to use the Tour shirt in the lower level games and the Bauer for the ones where...like you said...most of us played college or Jr.

You talked me into it😂.

I played prep, Jr and college wearing 5030’s or their equivalent in the late 90s-early 00s.  Never had an issue taking shots or hits.  That being said, I was also young and stupid at the time.  Would I do it again? Probably, but I’m also a bigger guy (6’3” 210) so my size provided some added protection from hits.  

Just an update for those interested. The Tour Medium fits me perfectly...5'9"/165/33"w/40"chest. Comes down to the top of my pants and I'm wearing suspenders over it.  Protection where I need it...zero bulk.  A little warm but...what isn't? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jbear said:

Just an update for those interested. The Tour Medium fits me perfectly...5'9"/165/33"w/40"chest. Comes down to the top of my pants and I'm wearing suspenders over it.  Protection where I need it...zero bulk.  A little warm but...what isn't? 

Good to know. I was considering ordering one of these to wear for drop-in and such. I still prefer to wear full shoulders in games as there are way too many heroes who like to take clap bombs from the top of the circles and cannot control their shot. I got hit in the throat last week by some moron. Thankfully my cage took most of the brunt. 

On 1/18/2020 at 3:04 PM, chippa13 said:

I'm 5'10" 200 with a 34" waist and the CCM RBZ 150 LE shoulders in a medium fit perfect.

The mid-range CCM RBZ series (particularly this model) is a fantastic option for beer league if you can find it.  Light, flexible, low profile, provides pretty decent protection.