Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Giltis

Starting in Goal as an Adult - 2020 Canadian Edition

I wasn't able to get skates, I've tried a few, but they lacked my size or width. It's really odd because I measure as a 8/8.5 on their Brannock device, but I couldn't get into anything smaller than a 9. Bauer Vapor 9.5D felt good at the back, but way too roomy at the front, I'll have to look for a 9D and try it. The CCM tacks felt ok, but again they only had a 9.5 and it would need punching out.

As far as sticks, brands do their own measurements which is pretty stupid. The "standard" way to measure (if youre talking to other goalies) is from heel to paddle, measured like this:

image.png.c31f58246d0c0a74830ce484c2a35759.png

It's going to be all a preference thing, but the paddle length changes where your blocker is. These days, the position of your blocker and stick while in the butterfly matters a lot more than when in your stance (though plenty of people will argue that I'm sure). I'm 5'8 and use a 26" Warrior, which I think is more like 27.5 actual inches (I don't have it in front of me so I can't remember). Or, at least i did until I started cutting a custom grip shape into my paddle - now I use a CCM 27 which is about the equivalent of a 26 after I cut my grip. You can ignore all that, though.

I also started cutting off a couple inches from the shaft just because I find stickhandling easier, but again that's not something you should worry about yet. 

As far as type of stick, I still think foam core sticks (thin wood paddle filled with a lightweight foam, usually with a wood shaft) are still by far the best feeling as far as pucks hitting them, and there was a point where composite sticks were more expensive than their performance warrants but nowadays you can get composite for under $100 so that's the route I'd go if I was you. Avoid wood sticks - they're cheap but good god they are HEAVY. 

Just like me starting out with pads with leather straps so I don't know any different, which meant I didn't need to get used to something different, I would do the same with sticks if I were you. Start with a composite just so that's all you know. That's the future going forward anyway.

• Like 1

My McKenney pants came in this afternoon, I've not tried them on yet, but looks decent enough and were a great price for new pants. I also ordered the Passau bag so I'm looking forward to that.

For sticks I was looking at these https://www.northstarsticks.com/shop/g1-shooter-ggsu-edition-goalie-stick/ in 26" to start out from, I emailed and they've told me that they are foam core. I'm 6' but yeah would like a shorter paddle for my butterfly, as a player I use a stick that's on the shorter side so cutting the shaft is something to keep in mind. I am also looking at skates today after work, so if I see a cheap composite I'll pick one of those up. Finally I think that completes the gear if I'm successful at skate/stick shopping.

Then I guess my first game could be as soon as March.

So found the right fitting skates, didn’t buy them yet. Turns out that I fit into a Bauer Supremes. I’m now contemplating between the S170 vs S190 models that they had, I’m now looking online at the differences and also possibly see if the newer S27/S29s have anything much improved on them.

On 2/18/2020 at 11:45 PM, caveman27 said:

Probably don't need a belly extension. You will have goalie pants and a goalie jock to protect your torso where the bottom ends

You were right, I tried a test fit last night with everything, and there is full coverage with overlap.

I'm having a hard time with the goalie pants feeling a bit big though. I'll see if I need to swap them for a medium or something (this is something I experience in player gear too, I'm right in between a Medium and a Large).

Just need those Skates and Stick and then I'll be ready.

Edited by Giltis
  • Like 1

I settled on a skate, and I wore them during my beer league warmups yesterday to see how it'd be (with player gear on). I almost fell twice lol. What was crazy is that after 5 mins, when I went back to player's skates, that took a moment to adjust as well. 

I got them sharpened at a 5/8" but it felt like it was dug in real good. Hopefully I will get used to that feeling. Skating straight forward was easy, as well as skating backwards, but I did not have a good time shuffling, or changing directions, should I go with a shallower hollow to something like 3/4" (what I usually get for my player's skates)?

Update

I have all the gear now, I've got a deal on a CCM Composite. I went with a 25" based on how it felt when I was in a butterfly (I wish they had a 25.5", or maybe I will go 26" in a different brand the next time). I went with a Bauer Supreme line of skates, and even though it was the best fitting skate they still killed my feet a test skate. I've placed in a SIDAS footbed and it seems to have alleviated the pain while standing up (we will see if the pain returns during a skate).

Another test skating tonight during warmups with the new hollow to see (my sharpener was a bit worried that I am going too shallow with a 3/4", but it's what I skate on normally so I think I will be ok).

I have my first pickup game next week, my buddy who's a goalie is coming out to play on the opposite side to see. I'm both excited and nervous, first time a long while.

• Like 1

Nice! Have fun. And don't try to kill yourself out there. The first pickup I ever played in the guy who runs it said to not even go down very much. Just get used to the skates, the shuffle, the angles, and having people firing pucks at you. I might even ask them if they could try to take shots from a distance and not try to deke you out of your jock for your first go. But whatever you feel comfortable with. Consider bringing a second water bottle - you may need it!

Have fun 😄 

• Like 1

On 3/3/2020 at 6:41 AM, Giltis said:

I settled on a skate, and I wore them during my beer league warmups yesterday to see how it'd be (with player gear on). I almost fell twice lol. What was crazy is that after 5 mins, when I went back to player's skates, that took a moment to adjust as well. 

I got them sharpened at a 5/8" but it felt like it was dug in real good. Hopefully I will get used to that feeling. Skating straight forward was easy, as well as skating backwards, but I did not have a good time shuffling, or changing directions, should I go with a shallower hollow to something like 3/4" (what I usually get for my player's skates)?

LOL - goalie skates are a whole new experience in skating, especially if you have been in player skates all your life. The flat(ter) blade makes for a very different feel when turning. Try hitting up a couple of public skates before your first game if you can - you'll get a better feel for what works with respect to mobility and will allow you to tune in the skate for things like how tight to lace and if there are any comfort issues. All good things to figure out before fully suiting up.

Keep in touch on how the game goes!

My first game on Monday may be pushed back due to the Coronavirus. 

But otherwise, I had another test skate on 3/4" and it felt much better, although I'm now wondering how all that gear weight might affect me. I also did test fitted wearing everything again a few times, and found a good sequence, where I put on my skates before my pants (I had trouble putting on skates with those enormous pants on), but also I fixed how big the pants felt on me by sort of tucking in my C/A and looping through the loop, my pants are now up higher and there's no interference with the leg pads. I guess I'm a tucker. 

P.S. It's normal to sweat from just putting on the gear right? I think I will bring three water bottles, one with ice water, one with gatorade, and one water for after on the ride home.

I have trouble with my skates after pants too. Some rinks worse than others (a lower bench in the dressing room makes it way easier). 

I was definitely doing the two bottle thing for quite a while. Like you said, one water (more ends up on me than in me), gatorade (that I actually drink), and yeah definitely something for on the way home. 

• Like 1