Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
VegasHockey

BAUER NEXUS ADV

5 hours ago, z1ggy said:

I would never want a 370g stick. The Supreme ADV is stupid light and it's so horribly balanced I gave it back to the person who let me use it literally within 3 minutes. Balance >> static weight. 

IMO sticks don't need to go much more below 400g. Give me the best puck feel and balance you possibly can, stop giving me less weight. 

Advanced issue found

✌
2 minutes ago, colins said:

I would argue 410-430g is the sweat spot when well balanced. Below 410 and it starts feeling a bit hollow / unsubstantial.

colins

I think 390 is the sweet spot for me personally. Anything less starts to feel unbalanced and usually requires me to add some type of counterweight to balance it all out properly. 

17 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I think 390 is the sweet spot for me personally. Anything less starts to feel unbalanced and usually requires me to add some type of counterweight to balance it all out properly. 

Cant imagine what you must have been doing for the better part of the last decade if 390g is the sweet spot. 

Sticks that light have only been around for the last 3-4 years, what were you using before? 

14 hours ago, colins said:

I've been doing the same, and just ordered a 2018 and a 2019 Nexus Team edition from a small vendor in Ontario. But the path to these sticks is convoluted, I'd love to have a more direct option through a proper Bauer reseller instead of waiting for them to trickle down to the prostock guys via team equipment sell offs.

It seems some retailers in Canada at least had access to batches of Nexus Team sticks that they sold via their websites, but they quickly sold out and now the flex and pattern options are very limited (ie: no Left 77 Flex P92 anywhere except via prostock sites, and rare there too).

The 2019 Nexus team stick - technically called the S19 Nexus League stick - at 415 grams is fantastic and beats probably anything out there in the $150-$200 range. These should be lining the shelves of every big hockey shop, but I guess Bauer doesn't want to eat into the profits of the 2N Pro at the retail level. That's fine, I don't mind ordering online, I just wish they were easier to come by.

colins

Totally agree here - the Nexus League was an impulse buy for me, but has turned into a revelation. One of the best sticks I've ever used, and all for $150. Too bad they flew off the shelves, as you said... However, I disagree in part with your take on BASE. Yes, I may be biased, but their customization options are the best you'll find at retail, especially at that price. Also, the sticks really are high-quality, and most of the graphics are clean and classic (not a fan of the Nasty graphics though). The website is still pretty basic, but it's a hell of a lot better than the Web 1.0 website they had only a year or so ago. If they could get a visual customizer developed, it would almost certainly help with sales. Baby steps though...

(Disclaimer: My profile still says "BASE Hockey", but I no longer work for them.)

1 hour ago, colins said:

I would argue 410-430g is the sweat spot when well balanced. Below 410 and it starts feeling a bit hollow / unsubstantial.

colins

Agreed. The Bauer Nexus League (415g), True A5.2 (420g), and BASE Reign LT (420g) are good examples of sticks that are well-balanced and feel just right.

Edited by MrData

10 hours ago, MrData said:

Totally agree here - the Nexus League was an impulse buy for me, but has turned into a revelation. One of the best sticks I've ever used, and all for $150. Too bad they flew off the shelves, as you said... However, I disagree in part with your take on BASE. Yes, I may be biased, but their customization options are the best you'll find at retail, especially at that price. Also, the sticks really are high-quality, and most of the graphics are clean and classic (not a fan of the Nasty graphics though). The website is still pretty basic, but it's a hell of a lot better than the Web 1.0 website they had only a year or so ago. If they could get a visual customizer developed, it would almost certainly help with sales. Baby steps though...

(Disclaimer: My profile still says "BASE Hockey", but I no longer work for them.)

Agreed. The Bauer Nexus League (415g), True A5.2 (420g), and BASE Reign LT (420g) are good examples of sticks that are well-balanced and feel just right.

I wouldn't mind trying a Base Reign LT, but the only blade option is the Xtra Stiff +. I don't know what it plays like but in general I usually prefer a dampened blade like on the Nexus vs a pingy/stiff blade you get on some models. That blade doesn't sound like it's very dampened?

The other stick options that have various blade choices are out of the weight range (Nasty is 455g) I would be looking for.

colins

12 hours ago, adam14 said:

Cant imagine what you must have been doing for the better part of the last decade if 390g is the sweet spot. 

Sticks that light have only been around for the last 3-4 years, what were you using before? 

Rekker EK15 came out in 2014 and I used that, then the EK60. Then other brands finally caught up. 

Edited by SkateWorksPNW

16 hours ago, MrData said:

Fixed that for you; sorry.  I know you had PMd me about it.  

• Like 1

I’m happy with a 500g stick, or even more, if the balance is right. I have a Kovalev used stick (not certified or anything but with a grip type he used and his tape job) that I’ll have to weigh again. I think it’s 550-570g but perfectly balanced, it’s insane. The 425g RibCor PMT2 I have feels like straw, I think because the shaft is so light the blade is incredibly inert against the puck.

On 1/22/2020 at 8:12 AM, colins said:

The 2019 Nexus team stick - technically called the S19 Nexus League stick - at 415 grams is fantastic and beats probably anything out there in the $150-$200 range.

Is this stick available in Junior size? I know the 2S is.

On today's 31 Thoughts pod they discussed the new ADV as having maybe the clisest blade feel to a wood stick yet. Did anyone else catch that segment? That along with the "slingshot" terminology being used, makes me wonder if there is more to it than just a hole in the blade.

I don't understand why some would say stick weight matters little as long as it's 'balanced.' A heavy stick is a heavy stick no matter how you spin it. A 500g stick is a frickin log and I don't care how balanced it is. Sure a well-balanced stick is better than a 'not-well-balanced' stick, but c'mon, a heavy stick is annoying af when it comes to handling the puck/poke check etc with one hand, especially towards the end of the game when everyone is fatigued.

In my 30 yrs of playing the game and now a hockey parent, for the most part I'm glad today's sticks are getting lighter. Sure durability may not be ideal, but top-of-the-line sticks are built for performance, not longevity. My midget kid who's an uber physical center in tier has only broken 1 top-of-the-line stick (Warrior QRE SL, while shooting a wrist shot, stick lasted a little more than 30 days) and he's had just about every hi-end sticks ever made by Bauer, Warrior and True (but never had any Bauer ADV's) and almost all of them are replaced due to blade going soft or splitting. His current Bauer 1X Flylite is experiencing blade going soft and he's logged approx 170 hrs of ice time in 5 months. If a stick lasts him 6 months, I'm perfectly ok with it.

53 minutes ago, 218hockey said:

Is this stick available in Junior size? I know the 2S is.

No it’s not in the regular catalog it’s a team option for Junior/Pro leagues. 

On 1/22/2020 at 9:12 AM, colins said:

I've been doing the same, and just ordered a 2018 and a 2019 Nexus Team edition from a small vendor in Ontario. But the path to these sticks is convoluted, I'd love to have a more direct option through a proper Bauer reseller instead of waiting for them to trickle down to the prostock guys via team equipment sell offs.

It seems some retailers in Canada at least had access to batches of Nexus Team sticks that they sold via their websites, but they quickly sold out and now the flex and pattern options are very limited (ie: no Left 77 Flex P92 anywhere except via prostock sites, and rare there too).

The 2019 Nexus team stick - technically called the S19 Nexus League stick - at 415 grams is fantastic and beats probably anything out there in the $150-$200 range. These should be lining the shelves of every big hockey shop, but I guess Bauer doesn't want to eat into the profits of the 2N Pro at the retail level. That's fine, I don't mind ordering online, I just wish they were easier to come by.

colins

If you truly love the team sticks and are willing to buy a small batch then you could place an order through a shop that does team orders. The minimum number per order isn't usually that high.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ParabolicActivity said:

On today's 31 Thoughts pod they discussed the new ADV as having maybe the clisest blade feel to a wood stick yet. Did anyone else catch that segment? That along with the "slingshot" terminology being used, makes me wonder if there is more to it than just a hole in the blade.

Well, they had to dial back the blade stiffness without changing the materials used is my guess.

20 hours ago, Coldclay said:

I don't understand why some would say stick weight matters little as long as it's 'balanced.' A heavy stick is a heavy stick no matter how you spin it. A 500g stick is a frickin log and I don't care how balanced it is. Sure a well-balanced stick is better than a 'not-well-balanced' stick, but c'mon, a heavy stick is annoying af when it comes to handling the puck/poke check etc with one hand, especially towards the end of the game when everyone is fatigued.

I disagree.  A 500g stick is far from heavy, it's just heavier than a 400g stick.  Balance is just as important as weight.  Grab a 20lb sledgehammer and simulate stick handling, then turn it around and try again.  Tell me balance point doesn't matter.  It's an extreme example, but illustrates my point quite well.

An extremely light stick might work best for you, but for others like myself, there is a point where a stick becomes too light.  Personally, I have found that the True A5.2 and Nexus 1000 have felt much lighter than the actually are because of how well balanced they are. On the flip side, my QX3 feels as heavy to me as a Supreme One.7, which is almost 100g heavier.  The QX3 is not heavy, but it feels heavy when I use it because the balance point is too low for my liking.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, boo10 said:

I Grab a 20lb sledgehammer and simulate stick handling, then turn it around and try again.  Tell me balance point doesn't matter.  It's an extreme example, but illustrates my point quite well.

Now take that same 20lb sledgehammer and handle it with one hand. Tell me how balance point matters. It's not even an extreme example but illustrates my point better.

A heavy stick is a heavy stick. Balance point is just a way to mask and trick your brain that it doesn't feel as heavy.

I'm an advocate that light sticks are generally preferred over heavier sticks, hence why NOBODY chooses to use a frickin tree. Sure a stick may be 'too light' but a stick on the lighter side is what all the pro's use because they know this is a game of inches and if your stick is too heavy, you may get too tired or you may be half a second late to the puck.

Edited by Coldclay

1 hour ago, Coldclay said:

Now take that same 20lb sledgehammer and handle it with one hand. Tell me how balance point matters. It's not even an extreme example but illustrates my point better.

A heavy stick is a heavy stick. Balance point is just a way to mask and trick your brain that it doesn't feel as heavy.

I'm an advocate that light sticks are generally preferred over heavier sticks, hence why NOBODY chooses to use a frickin tree. Sure a stick may be 'too light' but a stick on the lighter side is what all the pro's use because they know this is a game of inches and if your stick is too heavy, you may get too tired or you may be half a second late to the puck.

Actually, I think your one handed example supports my position.  It's much easier to maneuver the opposite end of the hammer when the weight is in your hand.  The same would hold true with a stick in that the blade is easier to maneuver when the balance point is closer to the hand.  You're correct that a heavier stick is a heavier stick, but we rarely move the whole stick without wrist movements.

I'd agree with you that in general a 400g stick would be preferable to a 500g stick, but I don't think there's any evidence to show that the average pro or Joe would prefer a 375g stick over a 400g stick.  It's not unheard of for prostock sticks to be heavier than their retail counterpart.  I can guarantee that the One95 sticks Kane uses are probably heavier than the Vapors they're painted as.

To each his own I guess.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, boo10 said:

Actually, I think your one handed example supports my position.  It's much easier to maneuver the opposite end of the hammer when the weight is in your hand.  The same would hold true with a stick in that the blade is easier to maneuver when the balance point is closer to the hand.  You're correct that a heavier stick is a heavier stick, but we rarely move the whole stick without wrist movements.

I'd agree with you that in general a 400g stick would be preferable to a 500g stick, but I don't think there's any evidence to show that the average pro or Joe would prefer a 375g stick over a 400g stick.  It's not unheard of for prostock sticks to be heavier than their retail counterpart.  I can guarantee that the One95 sticks Kane uses are probably heavier than the Vapors they're painted as.

To each his own I guess.

I actually had one of Kanes pro stock sticks and surprisingly it's quite light at 447 grams with the buttendz and tape. He uses a very stiff blade and the blade pattern lends itself to being very lightweight as opposed to something like a max height blade for example. He is also a professional athlete compared to us mere mortals so I would imagine he won't notice 20-30 grams of weight. One benefit of a heavier stick is winning stick battles and not having someone easy knock your stick away doing a stick check or stick lift. I think centermen typically use a heavier stick than wingers, same with players who play defense. 

Edited by SkateWorksPNW

2 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I actually had one of Kanes pro stock sticks and surprisingly it's quite light at 447 grams with the buttendz and tape. He uses a very stiff blade and the blade pattern lends itself to being very lightweight as opposed to something like a max height blade for example. He is also a professional athlete compared to us mere mortals so I would imagine he won't notice 20-30 grams of weight. One benefit of a heavier stick is winning stick battles and not having someone easy knock your stick away doing a stick check or stick lift. I think centermen typically use a heavier stick than wingers, same with players who play defense. 

Then again, he’s one of the best puckhandlers ever, so there’s a chance he’d be kernelyttere aware of that 20-30 grams and us mortals might not even suspect any difference. I’m purely speculating though.

8 hours ago, Coldclay said:

I’m not sure what all the pros use, but I have noticed anecdotally that some players have said they preferred heavier sticks themselves, including Gretzky, Heatley, Kovalev, Datsyuk, and Holmstrom.

I’ll grant that a heavy stick is a heavy stick, but what is the threshold for a heavy stick? I would put it somewhere above 600 and maybe even 700g (not familiar with junior stick weights, that’s a different category). My >500g sticks I’d call hefty, but not heavy. On the ice, I don’t notice their weight.

8 hours ago, flip12 said:

Then again, he’s one of the best puckhandlers ever, so there’s a chance he’d be kernelyttere aware of that 20-30 grams and us mortals might not even suspect any difference. I’m purely speculating though.

I’m not sure what all the pros use, but I have noticed anecdotally that some players have said they preferred heavier sticks themselves, including Gretzky, Heatley, Kovalev, Datsyuk, and Holmstrom.

I’ll grant that a heavy stick is a heavy stick, but what is the threshold for a heavy stick? I would put it somewhere above 600 and maybe even 700g (not familiar with junior stick weights, that’s a different category). My >500g sticks I’d call hefty, but not heavy. On the ice, I don’t notice their weight.

Anything north of 430 I really notice. Onnand off the ice. 

• Like 1

It's a great stick, well, according to what all the social media hockey "influencers" have said after Bauer sent them free ones.

Now if you don't mind I am off to buy one!

• Haha 1

What happens when you take a slash down on the top of that blade around the middle of the hole section? I gotta think it's fairly easy to crack the 'bridge' section that way. If so, it's not a design I imagine will hold up well for anyone taking a lot of draws at Center.

colins