Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

I've been wondering for a while now if anyone has tried to get their new skates to crease when baking them or breaking them in from new.

The reason I ask is I've always preferred a boot that has that give in the ankle, and I've noticed some pros who've continued to use skates with such extreme creasing that it seems as if it was an intentionally formed feature of their boots. Kovalchuk's the best current example (see below), but I've also noticed it on Grabovsky's, P. Bure's, Kucherov's, and Cogliano's skates.

gnBBvQ1.pngMJJYZKN.png

12 hours ago, dkmiller3356 said:

That sounds like a terrible idea.  Why purposely break down the integrity of the skate?

Because the pros do it so it must make your skating better

• Like 1

For them they can get skates whenever they want, every 2 weeks like Phaneuf, or never like Komarov and Marleau did. So for Kovy, he has a pair of skates already broken in out the box. Then when the last bit of support in the skates go, get a new set.

1 hour ago, stick9 said:

Didn't that Rover skate concept have cuts in the boot in that area?

Yeah. It was also tried in the 80's and 90's by CCM, Graf, and Micron...Mission and later Alkali featured it as well. That seemed to be what he wanted: 80's pattern cuts with 00's and 10's materials.

Edited by flip12

8 minutes ago, flip12 said:

Yeah. It was also tried in the 80's and 90's by CCM, Graf, and Micron...Mission and later Alkali featured it as well. That seemed to be what he wanted: 80's pattern cuts with 00's and 10's materials.

Think Easton did it too. That reflex coil tech on the Stealth was essentially that.

37 minutes ago, stick9 said:

Think Easton did it too. That reflex coil tech on the Stealth was essentially that.

Good point. I think I overlooked that one because it was the shell under the surface that had the notches. It was still that idea though.

6 hours ago, SirJW said:

Pretty sure those creases are from the skate breaking down from use not intentionally. 

Kovalchuk’s?

11 hours ago, Vet88 said:

Didn't Graf do this with their latest line, eg 9035, and the flex zone which you could get in different flexes?

All the Graf’s I’ve tried (701, 703, 705, G35 tech-mesh) were clearly built to allow ample flex in the ankle. Haven’t tried 9035.