Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Davideo

Are TRUE shafts and blades being discontinued?

Ah, looks like they are switching to the new AX9 and I'm guessing they pulled down the old line from their site and haven't put up the new one yet. Thanks. I was starting to panic a bit...

I feel the performance is very good for what works out to a $150 stick. And I rarely break shafts, but do go through blades more quickly. So yes, the economics of a $50 replacement blade are much better.

I also switched from a PM9 curve a few years ago as they were becoming more scarce and it was easier and less expensive to try a few different curves.

3 hours ago, Giltis said:

Any reason to prefer these to one-piece? Is it just the economy of replacing one part if it breaks?

There’s some advantage to roller players too who eat through the bottom of blades quicker than normal 

• Like 2

This is a standard shaft but low kick?  Always thought the taper was what produced the low kick

Edited by Sniper9

On 1/23/2020 at 11:43 PM, Sniper9 said:

This is a standard shaft but low kick?  Always thought the taper was what produced the low kick

It's a "variable" flex shaft. Here is their marketing speak for their "Smart Flex Technology": "Our composite design technology offers an optimized, varied stiffness distribution throughout the shaft."

There are ways to adjust the flex point besides taper.

4 hours ago, Davideo said:

It's a "variable" flex shaft. Here is their marketing speak for their "Smart Flex Technology": "Our composite design technology offers an optimized, varied stiffness distribution throughout the shaft."

There are ways to adjust the flex point besides taper.

"Starting with the kickpoint, the True AX9 Hockey Shaft features an optimized low-kick profile located at the bottom third of the shaft."

13 hours ago, Cavs019 said:

I might bite the bullet and order a pair. Has anyone tried them yet - particularly the blades?

2 piece sticks 4 lyfe. 

Extensively, and as a lifelong 2 piece user have some points of comparison. I find performance to be better than any other blades I've used previously, and it pairs very well with the TRUE shaft. The biggest difference in what I've experienced is that other blades go soft and the TRUE blades do not. That being said, I have had two basically shear at the hosel and break off. One happened on the second skate, the other was probably after 15-20. The others have actually been very durable and last upwards of perhaps 100 skates. I would estimate other blades (I've used Warrior more recently) start breaking down after maybe not even 50 skates, and are pretty well shot as I approach 75.

There have also been a few versions of the blades and each one seems to advertise improved durability, so perhaps the hosel breakage is no longer an issue. And the last time it happened was on a blade probably two generations back.

I did have to switch from a PM9 type curve to an 88 in making the switch to TRUE. But that may have been for the better overall. I feel my shot is slightly improved and with very little impact to passing or backhands. RIP Modano curve

2 piece sticks 4 lyfe. 

On 2/5/2020 at 6:14 AM, the_game said:

Wish they still did a tapered shaft.

I have a few used ones (85, 95 flex) and tapered RH Warrior blades I am willing to part with if anyone is interested.  

I have used 2 piece setups for a very long time. I have used both the standard and tapered versions of the True SBP 6.0 Shaft. They are among the best shafts I have ever used (XN10s, True 6.0, Combat 52 Cal/52 Cal RL). 

I can't yet comment on the durability of True blades, but the 6.0 standard blade pairs very well with the 6.0 shaft. The balance is as good as any shaft/blade setup I've used. 

I never had a Combat 52 cal blade (or shaft) break or soften prematurely, so I'm hoping the True blade will hold up for a while. 

I broke so many True tapered blades that I finally stopped using them... kept breaking them at the hosel and it was clear there was some kind of design defect with them.  I switched to the Warrior tapered blades and was off and running.  I agree with what you said about the True shafts though, they are excellent.  Too bad all the tapered stuff is no longer made by them or Warrior anymore.  

The toe of my almost new True 6.0 blade chipped and is starting to split after very little use... maybe 3-4 shinny sessions. I tape over the end of the blade to protect it. I don’t remember anything happening that should have damaged the blade that way (though you can never know for sure). 

I’m afraid that the durability of the blade looks like it’s going to be garbage. I wouldn’t buy another True blade.  

2 hours ago, sickwilly said:

The toe of my almost new True 6.0 blade chipped and is starting to split after very little use... maybe 3-4 shinny sessions. I tape over the end of the blade to protect it. I don’t remember anything happening that should have damaged the blade that way (though you can never know for sure). 

I’m afraid that the durability of the blade looks like it’s going to be garbage. I wouldn’t buy another True blade.  

Exact reason I stopped buying any True OPS... though I have heard they have improved a lot in terms of blade durability.  I switched to a Vapor 1X Lite last year and  have stuck with that and now the Vapor FlyLite since and the TeXtreme construction of their blades has been excellent.  I have played a ton with the 1X and the blade has no chips or anything, it’s been great.  

Edited by Fletch

2 hours ago, Fletch said:

Exact reason I stopped buying any True OPS... though I have heard they have improved a lot in terms of blade durability.  I switched to a Vapor 1X Lite last year and  have stuck with that and now the Vapor FlyLite since and the TeXtreme construction of their blades has been excellent.  I have played a ton with the 1X and the blade has no chips or anything, it’s been great.  

The textreme is great. Bauer imo has the best blades. I had the original 1n for over a year and barely if any chips or cuts on the blade. 

On 2/15/2020 at 10:04 AM, sickwilly said:

Do you know which model/generation it was? Previous TRUE blades had issues with breaking near where it mates against the shaft, but have not heard of issues more recently and never with splitting or chipping.

I have a ton of Bauer Tapered replacement blades and decent stock of tapered Easton's & Bauer shafts but I always felt like those companies never did anything to improve the tech in their shaft options. Was hoping to try a True Tapered shaft as I figured if anyone was to actually the design for a two piece it would be True.

On 2/16/2020 at 3:14 PM, Davideo said:

Do you know which model/generation it was? Previous TRUE blades had issues with breaking near where it mates against the shaft, but have not heard of issues more recently and never with splitting or chipping.

It is a 6.0, I think SBP. Standard. I'm not sure which generation it was.

Oh sick. Going to grab some when they come in stock in Canada. I have the A6 shaft and it feels like it lost it's kick.

In terms of durability, I'm glad I'm not the only one who had issues with the blade breaking at the hosel. It either broke at the hosel within the first 2 games -- first shot even.. or it was a tank and lasted more than any other blade I've used.

On 11/10/2020 at 9:06 AM, kkancho said:

In terms of durability, I'm glad I'm not the only one who had issues with the blade breaking at the hosel. It either broke at the hosel within the first 2 games -- first shot even.. or it was a tank and lasted more than any other blade I've used.

Yep, exactly what I've experienced. I've switched to buying one at a time to maximize the chance of warranty replacement if it has a quick hosel break.

On 11/10/2020 at 11:06 AM, kkancho said:

Oh sick. Going to grab some when they come in stock in Canada. I have the A6 shaft and it feels like it lost it's kick.

Had the same issues when I tried out their combo. Wasn't overly impressed.