Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

Someone else will correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no way you're going to get flop out of the VH Skates/it's not recommended. It's counterproductive considering the purpose of the boot is a full-wrap.

If im not mistaken dustin byfuglien flops his tongue so there maybe some way of doing it

I found flopping the tongue in my MLX really improved the feeling of independent movement of the boot/foot from the leg/shin, which I really liked. The thermoplastic in the tongue helped mold it in a flopped position. It was just a little short and left a bit too much ankle poking out for my liking so I molded it back to be more upright again. I liked the flopped feeling enough that I decided that if I were getting VH I would go for a tongue option that would allow flop: either the original thinner VH tongue (which it looks like Byfuglien has on his boots) with a little more length to allow a slightly higher flop or the thicker felt one with some thermoplastic to help mold it flopped. Because the thermoplastics work so well in the skate, it's possible to get full wrap from top to bottom and still flop to get the tongue out of the way of the shin. That's essential for me because I really like to get deep ankle rotation on normal strides and with tucking the tongue or letting it rest tightly against the shin, it feels as though I'm steering against the skate.

Edit: forgot to add the thing about Byfuglien's thinner tongues.

Edited by flip12

I got the thicker felt tongue with enhanced metatarsal guard,but coming off pro stock skates prior, it's not very thick compared to those. These are pretty flexy, but I wear my shins over the tongues. I think it will actually feel a bit better not having such a crazy thick tongue. I'll find out Friday once I finally get to skate in them! Really looking forward to it. I normally use 3/8, so I hope I don't feel sluggish in my VH, which I never did in my TACKS or RBZ.

Edited by BRUINS_FAN_74

For what it's worth I have never manually/forcefully flopped the tongue. I just put my skates after my shinguard and soon enough they get flopped. I don't do it for the "look"

Anyway I'm guess I ll try tucking with my current skates, see if it bothers me. The grafs 735 tongue is really huge(thick and wide) I mm not even sure I could tuck it but I ll give it a shot.

Thanks all for the feedback, about to place my order, I'm just going to go for the standard tongue.

For the record here is what VH said about my question about flopping the tongue:

>> we can do a thinner tongue that is lined with thermoplastic that many of the pros use for flopping. Unfortunately, there is not much protection in those tongues.

I also asked them about the eyelets, apparently it was juts a bad batch 18months ago and it's long been fixed since.

@bruins_fan_74 I don't know how heavy you are or what ice you skate on, but for the longest time I use to skate on 3/8 cause it was sort of the "standard" around here, but I use to hate the first skate after sharpening, it would be super tiring and yet slow and shatter during hard stops. I like 1/2 or 5/8 so much better and I think I'm actually going to try going to 3/4 because so far shallower has been more speed and less energy for me and at least up to 5/8 it's still been enough edge so far. Most of the places I skate have fairly soft ice, eccept in the winter.

Edited by tcolar

- I read somewhere that you need less hollow on those skates, is that really true, I mean can you really feel it ? I'm currently using 1/2 but I was already thinking of going shallower anyway (toward 3/8) as ice is often soft here and I like straightaway speed.

I had to go shallower when I switched to VH. I mention this to Scott Van Horne. His reply is in the post below:

http://modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php/topic/63437-vh-footwear/?p=1009034

I'm 6' 1" and 174 pounds. I've never had any issues with stopping or speed with 3/8, but will see if that's different with VH. I'll drop down to 7/16 if need be. The ice over here is constantly different, I guess do to the Australian weather, but on average pretty hard ice. For sure not even close to how good the ice is back home in the US, but will do until we move back to the US in a few years.

Thanks all for the feedback, about to place my order, I'm just going to go for the standard tongue.

For the record here is what VH said about my question about flopping the tongue:

>> we can do a thinner tongue that is lined with thermoplastic that many of the pros use for flopping. Unfortunately, there is not much protection in those tongues.

I also asked them about the eyelets, apparently it was juts a bad batch 18months ago and it's long been fixed since.

@bruins_fan_74 I don't know how heavy you are or what ice you skate on, but for the longest time I use to skate on 3/8 cause it was sort of the "standard" around here, but I use to hate the first skate after sharpening, it would be super tiring and yet slow and shatter during hard stops. I like 1/2 or 5/8 so much better and I think I'm actually going to try going to 3/4 because so far shallower has been more speed and less energy for me and at least up to 5/8 it's still been enough edge so far. Most of the places I skate have fairly soft ice, eccept in the winter.

Just curious if any of you boys in VH have made the switch from a Supreme NXG or MX3?

Thoughts on the move?

Also, I've seen a few snaps of the modified skate with the new plastic caps near the toe box. Can they be ordered without?

I love the pair that this guy is wearing at 3.28 in the VH Video on Vimeo

It almost doesn't matter what you're coming from since these are custom. They will fit any feet and they will be the most comfortable skates you've ever worn.

I placed my order a couple days ago:

All black, clarino liner, standard tongue.
Pretty much all standard but with Cobra 5000 holders, 5/8 sharpening.

Reason for cobra holders is that I'm used to that picth and also like the longer radius steel (11") so just as well stay with that rather than have to add heel lifts and profile right away.

I have a foot about 1 cm longer than the other and also an accessory navicular bone on one foot (pretty big, looks like an extra ankle bone), so I'm thinking the customs shaping will be sweet.

Edited by tcolar

Good idea that you got the Cobra holder, will help for sure. That's why I had the CCM SB +4.0 holder put on mine, it's been my favorite holder out of all the ones I've used and what I've used for a while now. My left foot is smaller than my right, and you can see it for sure now with the VH. Odd having my left foot brush the toecap for once, which is awesome. My right foot ,near my big toe, sticks out a lot, which always caused fit issues.... But not with VH! Feels so awesome!! Hopefully you'll like yours when you get them!

Edited by BRUINS_FAN_74

This is why the Fit Centers work so much better than just sizing them yourself. Of course you can do it that's totally up to an individual. However at the Fit Centers you can try on the skates and get an idea. I have both tongues so you can see and feel the difference.

Now being a 3 hr drive it may not be worth your while but then again having a feel for the expense of the skate is not a bad option. And as for the food well it goes without saying they have some tasty places around there.

As for the feel of the hollow and profile. 100% of the pro guys I worked with this summer had to reduce the profile and go a little less sharp as they really felt the boot dig in and really could feel the edges. I personally now skate on them and can not believe how comfy they are and I just use a stock Step Blade with a 90/75 and feels great and lasts.

On a side note it really helps Rob if you have tried on a skate to pick the right last to build your skate off of.

Make a weekend out of it and enjoy your new skates when you get them.

where are the fit centers? I had to do the tracings myself

• Like 1

I got lucky as friends of mine over here are the VH fitters for Australia! Was going to wait when I was back home in the US for a visit and take a trip to get the photos, tracings, etc.... done as I wasn't up for doing them myself.

It ended up being pretty easy. You second guess yourself a lot with the tracings but a couple mm isn't going to matter in all reality.

Though I have pretty normal feet aside from the bump on my big toe. I imagine precision and photos would be much more important on people with weird feet.

It ended up being pretty easy. You second guess yourself a lot with the tracings but a couple mm isn't going to matter in all reality.

Though I have pretty normal feet aside from the bump on my big toe. I imagine precision and photos would be much more important on people with weird feet.

It is just more for the guys that have tried on "everything" and cant seem to find a fit. Gives them a little comfort knowing it will work when they are being ordered.

• Like 2

You're already spending your money on custom skates, getting someone to help you who's done it more than once or twice is always a bonus if you're near a fit center.

Being fitted at a fit center doesn't cost you any more than doing the tracings yourself, and they can help identify issues, options or other anything else you may have missed on your own.

• Like 3

Finally skated in them. I think I might need to bake again,will give them another skate tomorrow and then decide. Took me a while to get used to them and was all off balance when I first got out on the ice, I really felt like I was on my heels. I started to get used to them the last half hour, but my feet kept getting a bit numb and I wish the ankle was a little bit stiffer. Next skate I'm going to use the stock footbed, I used the CCM high arch support insoles,but will see the difference with the stock.3/8 sharpen felt fine, no different than when I had them on prior skates.

If you're getting numbness in the lower portion of your foot (ball of foot to your toes), then you'll probably need to do what I did:

You'll need a heat gun for this...

1. Remove the laces from the boot

2. On the low setting, heat up the in-step sidewall (out-step as well... if needed) between eyelets 1 to 4 (near the toebox) by continually moving the heat gun in small circles about 6 inches away from the boot

3. When the material becomes soft and malleable, roll the sidewall up and outward

4. While still warm, place your foot inside the boot, and tuck in the tongue

5. Look along the eyelets to see that tongue is flush and flat across the foot

6. If not, take off the boot, and continue to roll it up and out until desired (re-heat the sidewall if necessary)

7. If you're still getting pressure after rolling the walls outward, then remove the red insoles if you haven't already... OR... use a thinner insole

What the tongue should NOT look like (notice that you'll see the foot through the eyelets--the arrows in the diagrams below represent pressure when the laces are tied; yellow arrows represent excessive downward pressure since the tongue can't sit flat; green arrows represent pressure spread evenly across the flattened tongue):

BUfQIn2.jpg

What it should look like:

eg3dff9.jpg

The tongue should sit flat and symmetrical across the foot, like so (green=flat & even pressure across foot, yellow=raised & excessive down-force on top of foot):

tBfbPC9.jpg

Edited by mc88
  • Like 3