Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Petey21

Old equipment still in use

How common is it that players (especially pros) hang on to old pieces of equipment that's really old and outdated? I know Shanahan wears some old shoulder pads, and we all know about Irbe's old goalie pads, are there any others? Here's a pic I found of Alexei Kovalev, taken the other day, but the shoulder pads don't look like a brand new release by Reebok...

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sport/0504/22/SP...sen4-22_368.jpg

Those elbow pads aren't exactly spankin' new either.

With most NHL players you'll find they still wear the shoulder pads they wore in juniors.

Most pros probably want the extra edge in manuverablility. I find that newer shoulders pads are quite bulky and restricting, therefore I've got really ancient looking pads. Even though I'm risking my safety, it's worth it for those few extra goals

I know chelios has some really really old looking pads.... I bet most of the older guys do

Edited by gee2626

How common is it that players (especially pros) hang on to old pieces of equipment that's really old and outdated? I know Shanahan wears some old shoulder pads, and we all know about Irbe's old goalie pads, are there any others?

Leetch is pretty well known to dislike breaking in new gear. He wore the same gloves for years...when he was traded to Toronto he had the red spray painted blue instead of getting new ones.

Ahhh Mik 3 you beat me to it.

Zetterberg still uses those old Easton gloves, Pro Shock Zeros or something like that. (by the way does anyone know if I could find those anywhere?)

Edited by notorious#29

Whoa... Holmer has no padding in front, with the way he stands in front of the net you think he would want some padding in front in case he took a shot in the chest :o

Brodeur also comes to mind.

I've seen some older stories about the new goal equipment & such, bulletproof, bulky as hell.....

When they had that hockey game in Hamilton, Marty was miked up, and Glenn Healy asked him about his gear before the start of the 2nd.....

They cut to a shot of Brodeur pulling out his chest & arm protector from his bag........wow, for a guy who can stone pretty much ANY NHLer, each stop must hurt! The pads looked well over 7 years old, and did not look like they had that much padding.

how are you guys forgetting about Irbe.....he has the most beat up pads in the league
and we all know about Irbe's old goalie pads

We aren't

oh crap. my bad i was just skimming

Anybody remember Craig Ludwig, recently retired Dallas Star/Minesota Northstar? He had the same shinguards since he was a junior. He'd kept using glue, sewing them, etc....to keep them together. He also "bent them out" to make them wider for blocking shots.

EDIT: Check out several of the pics in this gallery...

http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/Legend...0&photo=2#photo

Most pros probably want the extra edge in manuverablility. I find that newer shoulders pads are quite bulky and restricting, therefore I've got really ancient looking pads. Even though I'm risking my safety, it's worth it for those few extra goals

I know chelios has some really really old looking pads.... I bet most of the older guys do

He's had the same shoulder pads since college at Wisconsin. That's why some of the guys call him "Rags".