Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
ktang

Best hockey skaters?

It seems like being slightly bowlegged helps skating. Most of the guys I've played with that were the better skaters on the team were bowlegged. I, unfortunately, am not.

2 players on the Spokane Chiefs, Joe Logan whos a D-man, and Ned Lukacevic who is a RW I think and played in the dub at 15, are probably the best skaters in the dub.

I like how Kovalchuk, Gaborik, Chimera, and Alexander Semin skate too. And Enver Lisin, who just got drafted last year skates like a bullet

I've always liked how well Oleg Tverdovsky skated, especially his acceleration and how he'd change from choppy strides to gain speed to long smooth strides to keep his speed.

Fedorov and Kovalev seem to be more agile, because I always see them carrying the puck, kind of slow like but still very quick at the same time.

i agree, fedorov has been my favorite since i first started watching hockey in like 94, i think what makes him so amazing to watch is it looks like he does everything effortlessly, and looks like it goes in slow mo, but hes one of the fastest players in the league, his curls and pull ups around the top of the circles were amazing, and he always did it with the puck on his stick and his head up.

Fedorov and Kovalev seem to be more agile, because I always see them carrying the puck, kind of slow like but still very quick at the same time.

i agree, fedorov has been my favorite since i first started watching hockey in like 94, i think what makes him so amazing to watch is it looks like he does everything effortlessly, and looks like it goes in slow mo, but hes one of the fastest players in the league, his curls and pull ups around the top of the circles were amazing, and he always did it with the puck on his stick and his head up.

He doesn't look as fast as he really is because it looks so easy to see him skating, it seems like he's not pushing but he is really quick...

Best flowing hair - Guy Lafleur, when he had that mane, and Ron Duguay.

How could you forget SOPEL?

For me, in order to have the flowing hair the player must play without a helmet. With the helmet, it is more like streamers poking out of the bottom of the helmet(e.g. Jagr, Sopel, Ricci).

I think Fedorov's outright speed and lateral mobility drive the D-men back so that he has the room to then do a curl / escape move.

I don't know about that, Blake is quick, but what about someone like Samsonov. That would be an interesting race.

To me, quickness and agility are more important than speed, but tryouts and all-star skill competitions that I have seen have more speed- and acceleration-based drills.

Jay Bouwmeester makes my list...

good call. last year in ottawa at the pre world cup training i sat up against the glass and watched the practices. Bouwmeester is probably the smoothest skater ive ever seen.

I agree with ktang about quickness and agility being more important than outright speed. Most of my favorite players are small, quick, agile players like St. Louis and Bure, but the honest truth is that many players in the NHL are probobly faster than them, just not as quick.

For me, in order to have the flowing hair the player must play without a helmet. With the helmet, it is more like streamers poking out of the bottom of the helmet(e.g. Jagr, Sopel, Ricci).

That's the point. Even with a helmet on, Sopel's hair will flow out the back and sides.

Gaborik is quick I wouldn't call him fast although he is above average speed. His stride is effective but incredibly ugly he skates similar to Donald Auddette but with more speed

Well if your just gonna start comparing players to Gaborik I don't really see the point. Walz is one of the top 10 skaters in the league in my opinion so Gaborik wouldn't seem like that great a skater compared to him

Dandenault is a pretty damn good skater. His strong skating is just over-shadowed by his lack of other skills.

He's one of those effortless skaters, he just seems so fluid on the ice. You shouldn't expect Norris caliber play from a guy who was a winger until Bowman decided the Wings Defensemen sucked so badly he needed to put Dandy or Sergei back there.

I'm overly critical of him. In all fairness to him he made transition well. Last year I'd put him as the Wing's 3rd best D, tied with Woolley, behind Lidstrom and Schneider. He was better than Hatcher (when he played), Chelios, and Fischer. Hes pretty underrated, and I think he'll be the odd man out when Kronwall gets called up.

except for daniel alfredsson