Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jukeboxhero

breaking in new skates

hey,

im sure this has probably been posted somewhere, but the search functions been disabled or isnt working.

Im basically wondering what the best way to break in new skates are? Is it dangerous to bake them in a conventional oven? Should i just wear them around the house for a while or toughen it out?

also, if i did bake them, does it make a huge difference?

thanks. (and again, sorry if this has been posted already) just trying to get some different opinions/options.

I think most people that try baking skates in a conventional oven end up doing more harm than good. Getting them baked at your lhs definately helps the break in time. When your home, put your socks on, soak them in hot water then put your skates on and wear them around the house.

I baked my Missions at the shop when I bought them and changed the footbed for one with a lower arch. No pain at all from day 1. You LHS will bake them for pretty cheap.

epuck.com used to have a home baking section in their tools area. I did it with ice hockey skates and it worked out well. If you decide to go that route then I'd definately take off the wheels.

the heat from your home oven is a flame,that is a dry,hotter heat,the skate oven is a different heat.its hot enough to make your skate soft,not to hot to ruin the leather.i would stick to the skate oven,good luck.

A heat gun would probably be too hard to judge when you should take it away so it may end up doing more damage than the conventional oven. It's probably too hot anyway. Baking them at your LHS would be your best bet. If you can't do it at your LHS just do the hot socks thing like mentioned before.