Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Duder84

Equipment Modifications

thanks I made them I used an old pair of skates for the material which is nice since the eyelets are there and all makes for a clean look, and they are very stiff , so I get a lot more forward flex , I used I think they are called machine nuts similar to t-nuts but they are smooth no teeth to dig into the skates if you understand what I mean , then they are bolted from the outside so there is no rubbing at all on my ankle area , and since they are made from another pair of skates it doesn't even look as if they are modified unless you are really looking for it , and the best part is they are removable with no damage to the skate ill have to post some pics of the material and hardware , etc

TBL, I was actually looking for this info a couple months back. I remembered that I saw someone did this but couldn’t remember who and find the post. How has this held up and have you found it to be effective?

I have no idea, I sold them to someone on MSH a long time ago(in fact, they were long gone when I made that post. I only had one90s for a few months). I'm using heavily modified Bauer 5000s that are in this thread...I did basically the same thing to those but a bigger mod with a strip of nylon from a dog leash, which is working perfectly and has been for about 6 years.

• Like 1

thanks I made them I used an old pair of skates for the material which is nice since the eyelets are there and all makes for a clean look, and they are very stiff , so I get a lot more forward flex , I used I think they are called machine nuts similar to t-nuts but they are smooth no teeth to dig into the skates if you understand what I mean , then they are bolted from the outside so there is no rubbing at all on my ankle area , and since they are made from another pair of skates it doesn't even look as if they are modified unless you are really looking for it , and the best part is they are removable with no damage to the skate ill have to post some pics of the material and hardware , etc

Really nice... Please post some pics, I'm really interested in this.

Not sure if this counts as an equipment mod but these are my Nexus 1000's with Edge holders, LS3 steel, 3mm heel lifts and 55 flex eyelet extensions

photo-2_zpsb46b97ae.jpg

Edited by brutal_sar
  • Like 3

Just wondering as a nexus skate user what's the benefit of the eyelet extension? As well how do find the heel lifts? I was thinking about adding some to mine for a little more pitch.

Just wondering as a nexus skate user what's the benefit of the eyelet extension? As well how do find the heel lifts? I was thinking about adding some to mine for a little more pitch.

The eyelet extensions have enabled me to get more forward flex in my ankle while still maintaining lateral stability, previously the only way I could get sufficient forward flex and knee bend was to lace the top of the skate loosly or skip the top eyelet, both of these options resulted in not enough stability.

Check out http://www.55flex.com/innovation.html if you havent already and I think there is a thread on here somewhere about the eyelet extensions also.

As for the 3mm heel lift, It didn't feel as different as I was expecting, I was able to adjust quite quickly, the skates now feel nicer on forward crossovers and it has improved my skating slightly in this area, if you feel like your weight is on your heels a bit too much at times I'd reccomend the heel lifts, otherwise they probably aren't necessary.

• Like 1

I have been in a pair of Warrior AX-1 Elbow pads and have been more than pleased with them. However I have now run into the dreaded situation where the middle strap is stretched out and not working the way it used to. I ran into this same situation with a pair of my Jofa's as well. Tried to send them to one of the places suggested on here (Not Peaches) and it was a disaster to say the least. The issue I continue to run into is that I have small joints and larger muscle bellies. So when I extend the arm my elbow is pushed out of the cup if it is not secured extremely tight. Not sure if this is a situation where I need to modify the elbow pads some way where the upper part is separated in a more extreme fashion from the lower or just find a better way of locking down the middle strap. Any viable suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks

Recent jobs: shortened a pair of Jofa 9177 by removing the slashguard (essentially turning those 8k's into 7k's), beefed up the padding in a Warrior girdle (added plastic sheets on top of foams inplace of some flimsy foams), glued leather on worn liner near eyelets to keep that area from being torn up even more.

@A2rhino: replace the middle strap yourself, it is just a few minutes work once you've got the tools (speedy stitcher) and fabrics (elastics, velcro, ...). Otherwise you might try elbow pads that fit differently (I had a similar issue with the AX2, while most Bauer Vapor elbows were no problem at-all).

I'm looking to beef up some of my protective equipment here and there.

I'm mainly looking to buy some protective foam (EVA, High density...), what would you suggest?

I'd like to cover it by some fabric and stitch the whole to the shoulder pads for example.

Always looking for clever suggestions :wub:

Been meaning to do this for a while now, finally got it done.

Replaced the RBZ 130 caps with U+12 ones. I now have very low profile and more mobile caps on the lighter, sleeker and more breathable RBZ 130 torso.

H0v7y9S.jpg

• Like 1

Been meaning to do this for a while now, finally got it done.

Replaced the RBZ 130 caps with U+12 ones. I now have very low profile and more mobile caps on the lighter, sleeker and more breathable RBZ 130 torso.

H0v7y9S.jpg

Well played sir

Edited by Beflar

Question in regards to modifications - I was given an RS Getzlaf curve blade. I hate the square toe but hey, free blade is a free blade.

Is it possible to sand or cut the blade so that it's more round? Will there be any openings in the blade etc..

Been using this more and more. Not the prettiest setup, but one that works quite well if you have fogging issues when using an Avision Ahead mask (Oakley straight cut mounted to the inside of the mask and pushed up to create an air pocket):

9Tx9Ixt.jpg

DOhYlQb.jpg

Edited by mc88
  • Like 1

Been using this more and more. Not the prettiest setup, but one that works quite well if you have fogging issues when using an Avision Ahead mask (Oakley straight cut mounted to the inside of the mask and pushed up to create an air pocket):

9Tx9Ixt.jpg

DOhYlQb.jpg

Good idea; I agree it looks a bit rough, I think because it's a black cage on a white helmet. If you had gone with the clear AvisionAhead, then I think it would look right.

Edited by Cosmic

9Tx9Ixt.jpg

DOhYlQb.jpg

i actually think white and black go along a lot better than white and clear.

Huh, interesting.

I'm a bit surprised you're having fogging issues though. Mine never fogs up.

Fogs up on the lower 1/4 of the Avision visor. Unfortunately, it's RIGHT where I look down to see the puck, so it becomes unusable. I also found that the Oakley visor has much better vision and when it does fog up, it quickly evaporates and doesn't create condensation (my mask is from 2013 so it might be past it's prime).

Edited by mc88

Optimus, how are you liking the elite compared to the original avision mask. I'm debating whether I should grab one of the elites while they're offering the $25 off discount or if I should grab an original as a back up before they sell out

Optimus, how are you liking the elite compared to the original avision mask. I'm debating whether I should grab one of the elites while they're offering the $25 off discount or if I should grab an original as a back up before they sell out

I haven't used it yet. It arrived just after our season ended. I play goal for our team this weekend because our goalie is away so it won't be until at least next weekend. Though, I think I'm going to try to get on the ice in player gear for a stick time session ahead of that game because I haven't been on player skates in two months.

Edited by OptimusReim

Obviously I'm not OptimusReim but I actually just picked up the Avision Elite and have used it for 3 games (3 days) in a row and will be using it again tonight. On ice it doesn't actually fog up but a thin layer of condensation does builds up so it gets this shimmery/watery look (hard to explain) when you are on the bench. Once you get on the ice for a couple of seconds of skating it dissipates though. For my roller league I didn't get any build up at all, it was perfect all game. Now, to be fair I was breathing out of my mouth for both Ice games as I've been fighting a stuffy nose the last week. For Roller I remembered to use a nasal spray so it cleared me out.

For my ice game tonight I'm going to use the nasal spray again (hopefully I remember) and try to make sure I breath out of my nose more on the bench to see if there is a difference.

Also, I've been using NoSweat pads in my Warrior Krown to help with sweat management. Not sure if that makes a difference or not for people who don't use them.

I get a small bit of fogging after a shift that I'm completely out of breath, but it's gone in a few seconds once I've gotten to the bench and catch my breath. Never any fogging at all while on the ice.