Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Duder84

Equipment Modifications

Just like the "Show it off" topic, except show the modifications you've made to your equipment. Be it extra padding or adding color to gloves, it'd be kind of fun to see what everyone does with their equipment to make life easier/safer when playing hockey, pics definetly welcome

until I found 8025 jofas I used to cut the bicep protection off of any elbows I bought.

Used to straight up cut the cuffs out of just about every pair of gloves I owned also

I cut the wrist protection off of the top of the line Jofa elbow pads I have leaving a slit in the padding and had an equipment manager sew the Jofa slash guards that some NHLers use into the slit...

If I had a pic it would be easier to understand...

Shin pads - shortened and added more protection for behind the knee.

Elbow pads - repositioned velcro straps so that they wouldn't cut into my inner elbow as much. Also modified the fit a bit so that it would match my forearms better.

Neck protector - bought some of that wicking material and sewed a set of longjohns, then attached the neck protector to make a wicking 1-piece undergarment. It looks like an astronaut's suit.

Skates - swapped tongues once, because the old tongues were giving me lace bite.

Pants - added tailbone protection and swapped thigh padding that had been shattered by shots.

Gloves - repalmed a few times, added extra protection for the pinky and index fingers. I might try to do the Sande trigger-finger modification the next time I replam my gloves. Also, replaced plastic pieces inside the upper cuff that had been shattered by slashes with some old credit cards layered and epoxied together.

Shoulder pads - Replaced the elastic / velcro straps when the old ones got stretched out. I'm thinking of adding some rib and spine protection, but I haven't figured out the best way to do it yet.

Sorry, still no digital camera or camera phone, so no pics.

Drilled drainage holes in the outsole of my skates. Also put pieces of like mole skin fabric in the heel of my skates to prevent blisters.

On older shins i put velcro on the inside to keep cut sox down. Dont to it anymore cuz i dont cut my sox.

On older pants Id cut and sew slits in the inner leg so it was easier to put the pants on.

Blacked out some older gloves.

Painted some cages.

Painted some sticks and curved some blades.

• Like 1

Elbow pads - repositioned velcro straps so that they wouldn't cut into my inner elbow as much. Also modified the fit a bit so that it would match my forearms better.

Neck protector - bought some of that wicking material and sewed a set of longjohns, then attached the neck protector to make a wicking 1-piece undergarment. It looks like an astronaut's suit.

Skates - swapped tongues once, because the old tongues were giving me lace bite.

Pants - added tailbone protection and swapped thigh padding that had been shattered by shots.

Gloves - repalmed a few times, added extra protection for the pinky and index fingers. I might try to do the Sande trigger-finger modification the next time I replam my gloves. Also, replaced plastic pieces inside the upper cuff that had been shattered by slashes with some old credit cards layered and epoxied together.

Shoulder pads - Replaced the elastic / velcro straps when the old ones got stretched out. I'm thinking of adding some rib and spine protection, but I haven't figured out the best way to do it yet.

for the gloves, you had to cut open the cuff area to replace the plastic right? I actually want to try and add a panel to the cuffs on my older gloves, kind of like the eagle extended cuffs, but i'm still trying to figure out how to sew it on

i took all the padding out of my mission roller girdle except the one on the tailbone and the one on my thighs. I ripped off the kangaroo stuff that was ony my z-airs because its garbage. really thats all ive done.

Whoa, McGyver! :D

For those who have sucessfully colored gloves before!

What is the best way to color in the leather parts of the glove? I want to color my gloves in black, but I want to make sure it not going to look crap and scratch off or the paint to chip! ANY IDEAS?? ;)

Edited by malcb33

I always always cut the little tab that connects the, I dunno what you'd call it, the thumb "compartment" to the solid part of the thumb so I can move it more freely.

The thumb protector still stays stiff and in place so I feel safe.

Curved wood blades.........make "graphite" extensions for shafts/OPS. I do that by cutting the inserted end of a wood plug from the handel part and putting half in the shaft and half in a piece cut from an old/broken shaft.

Removed padding from shoulder pads.

Always remove earguards from buckets.

Protoe on skates. I dunno if changing laces is really a mod, but I have to have clean white waxed laces.

Play around w/ different insoles, cut/add/remove/ to help skates fit my flat feet (instead of buying propers skates).

Made a shell for my girdle out of old pants by removing all the padding, removed padding from my girdle to make it less bulky.

Turned an old Itech halfvisor/cage combo into just a visor.

For Roller, probably like everyone else, change out wheels and bearings, but I always make sure my bearings are clean and super lubed.

for the gloves, you had to cut open the cuff area to replace the plastic right? I actually want to try and add a panel to the cuffs on my older gloves, kind of like the eagle extended cuffs, but i'm still trying to figure out how to sew it on

Yes, for the gloves I had to de-stitch part of the trim to get to the inside of a panel. The plastic was sandwiched between two layers of foam inside the panel.

If you want to add a protective panel, one way would be to sandwich some plastic between some high-density rubber foam, sew nylon around that to make a panel, and then attach the panel to the glove. If you make a few panels, you can overlap them, like a lobster tail.

If you need to get inside the cuff, that was more difficult for me. I wanted to replace the material covering the cuff above the backroll. Once I destitched it, the curved cuff popped out, and I needed 4 hands to hold everything in place before I could sew it back together.

Good luck with it.

:)

until I found 8025 jofas I used to cut the bicep protection off of any elbows I bought.

I still have three pair of "bottoms" around here somewhere.

not to big a deal but take those rubber flappy things on the helmet off, by your ear

Unless you found a way to mount a new chin strap right to the helmet any decent ref would give you a penalty for playing with illegal equipment.

McGyver played hockey too! It was in the opening credits. :)

Most of my modifications involve sewing to some degree. To add to the stereotype, my grandfather was a tailor in SouthEast China, and later in Hong Kong. I must have gotten some of his talent.

gloves- currently working on adding an extention to my x-70s. both my x-51s and x71s have black electrical tape over the eagle logos.

skates- drilled (2) 9/16 holes for drainage also painted over the all the white

pants- added padding on one hip. sewn many holes. added a second belt

shoulder pads- made my own "old school" style

elbows- added a plastic slash gaurd to the lower pad

helmet- cover the logos with black electrical tape, and remove the ear gaurd

i also try to repair as much of my gear as possible.

Most of my modifications involve sewing to some degree. To add to the stereotype, my grandfather was a tailor in SouthEast China, and later in Hong Kong. I must have gotten some of his talent.

McGyver does wear a Calgary Flames hat in some episodes, I don't know where Richard Dean Anderson's from, but Calgary seems likely...yeah...used to be a big McGyver fan

wish I had some of your sewing skills:)

For those who have sucessfully colored in gloves before!

What is the best way to color in the leather parts of the glove?  I want to color my gloves in black, but I want to make sure it not going to look crap and scratch off or the paint to chip!  ANY IDEAS??  ;)

Ive tried the normal perm. marker but it never seems to last. Ive just given up on it.

Also Ive done some converting of standard hozel wood blades into taperd hozel and size wood blades.

Edited by twiztidwrista10

For those who have sucessfully colored in gloves before!

What is the best way to color in the leather parts of the glove?  I want to color my gloves in black, but I want to make sure it not going to look crap and scratch off or the paint to chip!  ANY IDEAS??  ;)

Ive tried the normal perm. marker but it never seems to last. Ive just given up on it.

Also Ive done some converting of standard hozel wood blades into taperd hozel and size wood blades.

Maybe vinyl dye would work for your gloves, the stuff that they use for the car interiors. Apparently, it would also work for anyone who wants to dye your Tuuk's.

I forgot the biggest project I ever undertook.

I used to saw the blades off my Bauer 3030 sticks when the sheft broke and turned them into replacement blades.

I didn't have any kind of power tools so it all went by hand. A saw, a file, and some sand paper, and many hours. :blink: :P

McGyver does wear a Calgary Flames hat in some episodes, I don't know where Richard Dean Anderson's from, but Calgary seems likely...yeah...used to be a big McGyver fan

wish I had some of your sewing skills:)

Yeah, he used to play on that Celebrity hockey team. I remember one episode in which he defused a bomb with a LA Kings ticket.

I forgot the biggest project I ever undertook.

I used to saw the blades off my Bauer 3030 sticks when the sheft broke and turned them into replacement blades.

I didn't have any kind of power tools so it all went by hand. A saw, a file, and some sand paper, and many hours. :blink: :P

I remeber i did that with a 3030 blade too when i found the broken stick at the rink. Real pain, all that sawing and shaving.

Custom modded some Easton Synergy Gloves.

1)Took off the goat palm piece

2)Popped the airbladders on top of the hand

3)Sewed the little extension piece to the cuff.

And to add to that Ive only used them once. ;)

Curved many composite and wood sticks,sucessfully.

I also have to repair from shoulders all the time,Ive had them for 5 years now.

My RBK 6k shoulders are still too big.

Edited by whbd18