Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Duder84

Equipment Modifications

I've cut the footbeds from running shoes to fit in my skates. I had Superfeet, and Graf and Bauer stock footbeds and I was getting pain in my arches with all three. Turned out Saucony had the answer.

I made fairly crude wristguards (like the Jofa floating ones that Ovechkin, et al. wear) out of an old pair of soccer shinguards.

When I was like 8, I blacked out the Cooper logos on my helmet with a marker.

nice one on the belly pad TBL! I hate the belly pad flop on my 8000, i may have to try something similar. Except on the 8000s I'd have to add some rivets for the tie-up.

nice one on the belly pad TBL! I hate the belly pad flop on my 8000, i may have to try something similar. Except on the 8000s I'd have to add some rivets for the tie-up.

Thanks. That's pretty much what I did for my one90 pants. Took the pad, unstitched it, lowered it and stitched it back, then put laces through the top. Who needs a belly pad that goes 5 inches up... that flops over when you put your jersey on. "Sick flop on those pants!" <_<

I did a mod to my Jofa 8800 sholuder pads....had a friend pick these up for me at a leafs sale recently and they had an Nami shock rib/back pad (pictured on Garbovski pants) attached to the front. I just took it off and placed it on the back, so that they cover up my lower back (pants sit pretty low) and attached a strap that attaches the pad to the front of the sholder pads. Works great for crosschecks infront of the net...

pantpadhc3.jpg

added a layer of white felt to my tongues... only glued though so ive had to re apply it a few times.

cut the shells off my shoulder pads for beer league

lots of helmet customizations...

-made a "cooper" 4000 by getting stickers done and putting them over the Bauer logos

-painted the inside of my jofa480 cage white, the paint chips pretty bad though.

I had an embroidered nameplate that was for my golf bag, ended up glueing it to the cuff of my eagles, looks pretty good actually.

I modified a pair of old Flak shoulder pads by taking the old shoulder caps off and sewing a smaller ones on. I stitched through the holes that were in the new caps and it worked perfect.

Im in the process of modifying a pair of Bauer 8000 shins, I removed the calf wrap, Im switching the knee caps with a pair of old jofas, Im adding straps and velcro, and putting the One90 liner in them.

Also, I plan on changing the shoulder caps on my SBDIIs to something a little smaller. Theyre a little to bulky for me now.

Not really a mod, but I changed the tongues on my XXXXs and soon on my One95s.

Ive sewn up socks, gloves, pants, straps, and small stuff but again not really mods.

This is a good photo of my glove modification. All I have done is cut out a section of the cuff to allow more mobility.

Why not cut off the entire inner piece like Ovechkin? ;)

Now a question for everyone... has anyone modified their girdle by attaching a spine protector like the ones found on the newer style pants/girdles? I'm looking to do that to my old Bauer girdle (doesn't even have a model # or anything on it, just plain black and probabaly about 10+ years old), I love the girdle but it's sort of low and offers no spine protection. I like the new style pants w/ that floating spine protector piece and am trying to find a cheap pair that I can cut that off from and attach to my girdle. So is that crazy or has anyone else done it or thought of it? I don't want to buy a new girdle just yet so hoping this mod will add some life to the ones I have.

This is a good photo of my glove modification. All I have done is cut out a section of the cuff to allow more mobility.

I do that also, along with any padding on the inside.

one of my bicep guards ripped off and then i took the other one off.... it almost gives me a little more mobility, but id imagine that a shot to the bicep is gonna hurt like hell... thats the only reason i wouldnt do it

has anyone ever cut the bicep guards off shoulder pads? any reason why i shouldnt?

If you have a decent pair, the shoulder caps are made to transfer the energy from an impact to the shoulder to the bicep guardso you'll take it in the arm instead of the more delicate joint. Without the bicep guard, you might as well have no shoulder cap, as the energy's going to go straight into the joint anyway.

In a no check league, that shouldn't be too much of a problem, but if you're getting thrown into the boards it's a pretty bad idea.

Edited by cptjeff

has anyone ever cut the bicep guards off shoulder pads? any reason why i shouldnt?

If you have a decent pair, the shoulder caps are made to transfer the energy from an impact to the shoulder to the bicep guardso you'll take it in the arm instead of the more delicate joint. Without the bicep guard, you might as well have no shoulder cap, as the energy's going to go straight into the joint anyway.

In a no check league, that shouldn't be too much of a problem, but if you're getting thrown into the boards it's a pretty bad idea.

well I play no check hockey most of the time, but what about cutting a few inches off the bicep guard, just to make room so the top of my elbow pads and the bottom of the bicep guard don't catch and rub? will that sacrifice the design of the pad at all?

Not something I've done, but something I want to do and I'm hoping one of you can give me some advice.

On my elbow pads one of the velcro straps is too long for the velcro on the pad itself (ie, when I do it up, the end of the strap goes past the velcro on the pad and just hangs off). And then that extra bit of velcro gets caught up in my jersey and annoys me. So I want to add some velcro to the pad itself for the strap to stick to - any ideas on how to attach the velcro? I was thinking hot glue gun. The velcro does have a sticky backing to it, but I'm not sure that adhesive will hold up well enough.

Not something I've done, but something I want to do and I'm hoping one of you can give me some advice.

On my elbow pads one of the velcro straps is too long for the velcro on the pad itself (ie, when I do it up, the end of the strap goes past the velcro on the pad and just hangs off). And then that extra bit of velcro gets caught up in my jersey and annoys me. So I want to add some velcro to the pad itself for the strap to stick to - any ideas on how to attach the velcro? I was thinking hot glue gun. The velcro does have a sticky backing to it, but I'm not sure that adhesive will hold up well enough.

Is the elbow pad hard plastic where the velcro will be attached to? If so then the adhesive velcro should hold just fine, I'd suggest going w/ the industrial strength one just to be safe. If it's fabric where the velcro will attach then you may want to look into the fuse-able velcro which is basically an iron on adhesive, it's supposed to hold really well but I have no first hand experience with it so can't say how it would work. I'd just go w/ the industrial strength sticky back velcro... clean the area really well first w/ some rubbing alcohol, then you may even want to heat it up real quick w/ a hair dryer b/c that will help the glue adhere better. Also if the pad is curved/contoured then you may want to cut the velcro into strips to better flow with the shape of the pad (also this way if part of the velcro does come loose down the road you won't loose all of the velcro but rather just a section).

Good luck.

Shorten the strap itself to pull the velcro back where it needs to be. I ended up just cutting a piece out of the strap and sewing it back together.

Or you can just cut off the extra velcro on the end of the strap.

Is the elbow pad hard plastic where the velcro will be attached to? If so then the adhesive velcro should hold just fine, I'd suggest going w/ the industrial strength one just to be safe. If it's fabric where the velcro will attach then you may want to look into the fuse-able velcro which is basically an iron on adhesive, it's supposed to hold really well but I have no first hand experience with it so can't say how it would work. I'd just go w/ the industrial strength sticky back velcro... clean the area really well first w/ some rubbing alcohol, then you may even want to heat it up real quick w/ a hair dryer b/c that will help the glue adhere better. Also if the pad is curved/contoured then you may want to cut the velcro into strips to better flow with the shape of the pad (also this way if part of the velcro does come loose down the road you won't loose all of the velcro but rather just a section).

Good luck.

No, it's fabric of some sort. The elbow pads are Easton Synergy ST4's and I need to add the velcro to the upper bicep part. In the picture below, it's the area just to the left of the Easton E logo on the blue part.

4EP.JPG

Any idea where I can buy industrial strength or fuseable velcro? Home Depot? Walmart?

Any fabric/craft place should have all the different types of velcro but I think forbs02 has an easier solution. I'd just get an idea of how big the strap is (measure or estimate, an inch, 2 inches, etc), then fold the strap over itself backwards and sew it to itself therefore shortening it by however much you overlapped it... this would be much easier than messing w/ the velcro (I've done both variations on various elbow pads in the past due to my skinny arms, luckily I have finally found a pair that fits without modification, CCM Vector 08, I love them). Other than the overlapping method you could also just trim the excess strap off and then sew on a new piece of velcro to the strap so it fits snug.

Shorten the strap itself to pull the velcro back where it needs to be. I ended up just cutting a piece out of the strap and sewing it back together.

Or you can just cut off the extra velcro on the end of the strap.

Any fabric/craft place should have all the different types of velcro but I think forbs02 has an easier solution. I'd just get an idea of how big the strap is (measure or estimate, an inch, 2 inches, etc), then fold the strap over itself backwards and sew it to itself therefore shortening it by however much you overlapped it... this would be much easier than messing w/ the velcro (I've done both variations on various elbow pads in the past due to my skinny arms, luckily I have finally found a pair that fits without modification, CCM Vector 08, I love them). Other than the overlapping method you could also just trim the excess strap off and then sew on a new piece of velcro to the strap so it fits snug.

Yeah, those solutions involve sewing...not sure how well that would go. Hopefully I'll figure something out this weekend, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Good luck.

No, it's fabric of some sort. The elbow pads are Easton Synergy ST4's and I need to add the velcro to the upper bicep part. In the picture below, it's the area just to the left of the Easton E logo on the blue part.

4EP.JPG

Any idea where I can buy industrial strength or fuseable velcro? Home Depot? Walmart?

There's an industrial strength craft glue that I love that you could use here, It's called E6000. Takes longer to dry then hot glue might, but it'll stick. I've used it successfully in applications where super glue and epoxy have failed.

http://www.eclecticproducts.com/e6000CraftAdhesive.htm

Get normal velcro and use this stuff, or shorten the strap.