Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

LHS owners/workers

you make it sound like everyone who comes on and asks skate advice is a lost sale for you jimmy, ever stop to think that people in the MA area may actually go to your store because of reading your posts??

as for informative and your mfg comment why don't you post your buying turns and plans since you obviously get stuck and take a bath each year after the show, that would be of benefit to many other LHS's

the hockey world is bigger than noicings...get over it

you make it sound like everyone who comes on and asks skate advice is a lost sale for you jimmy, ever stop to think that people in the MA area may actually go to your store because of reading your posts??

as for informative and your mfg comment why don't you post your buying turns and plans since you obviously get stuck and take a bath each year after the show, that would be of benefit to many other LHS's

All I'm saying is store workers should not be helping folks so they can bypass ther local LHS's. This has nothing to do with my store, but the "hockey world" as you say, in general. IIt's a macro thing, not micro. If there is no reason to go to the local LHS because you can get free fitting advice from MSH, then less folks will go to their LHS, they'll shop ebay.

BTW, I don't believe I've ever mentioned the name of my store on this board.

We’re spoiled up here in the Northeast since we have many quality shops that are willing to go the extra mile with service and get you what you want. Same can be said for sharpeners, which is why we don’t have many t-blade users around here as well. Not EVERYONE is as fortunate as we are.

i live in charlottesville virginia, and the closet shop that is actually informitive is at least an hour away. if i ned somethign new, i cant just go down there anyday, so ordering things online is a lot easier.

thanks for all the advice. i really pay attention to it, and i think that it has helped me.

I feel sorry for a lot of the people that buy something really important like a skate from online stores.

When I recently bought my Bauer 8000, I used the ePuck sizing tool to estimate what size I would need based on my shoe size. It told me I wore a Bauer 9, which is what I would have ordered from the web.

When I went to my LHS, the guy measured my foot and I told him I should wear a 9 in a Bauer, so he brought me out a 9 like I asked and the 9.5 which he thought would fit better. I tried them both on; now I own a pair of 9.5 and won't ever think of buying skates online again.

I agree with other happy MSHers though - there are people that will buy online for whatever reason, but having spent a little time on these boards I'm way more inclined to give as much business as I can to my LHS because you guys are willing to give up advice when you don't know me from a hole in the ground. Pay it forward, I say!

All I'm saying is store workers should not be helping folks so they can bypass ther local LHS's. This has nothing to do with my store, but the "hockey world" as you say, in general. IIt's a macro thing, not micro. If there is no reason to go to the local LHS because you can get free fitting advice from MSH, then less folks will go to their LHS, they'll shop ebay.

BTW, I don't believe I've ever mentioned the name of my store on this board.

Explain this to me jimmy, how is someone who lives nowhere near a quality pro shop going to get good solid info on products? Am I suppose to take a plane ride for $300 to buy a $300 pair of skates or spend airfare to go pick up a few items of equipment? Or since I dont live in a "hockey hotbed" Im not suppose to get quality equipment or be able to play at all?...Is it my fault that there are no shops where I live and Im just suppose to find this info out on my own? Oh wait, finding out on my own would mean Id have to find a "helpful" hockey website with alot of great and knowledgeable people!!! But I cant do that cause then Id just have to take that knowledge and buy online...No I cant do that, Ill plop down my $300 for a plane ticket and head up to your shop to spend a couple hundred on equipment and then get home and not have any money to pay for a league to play in, but at least youll have that little profit to pay your light bill.....I think your view of the "macro" hockey world is a little more "micro" than you really understand....Just because you live and work somewhere with a hockey shop dosent mean its like that all over the country....I feel what your sayin about supporting LHS, we had a shop where I live here for a little while and I was there every week buying this and that sometimes just spending what little money I could on stuff I really didnt need cause I thought it might help the guy stay in business, he eventully closed and Im back to having to get stuff online(only because I have no other options), but at least this site helps me make informend purchases...Although I guess in your thinking maybe I should just take a up another sport that I can make my purchases that support that LHS?...So see jimmy you need to sit back and look at your "macro" view and maybe strecth it out a bit more before you start stepping on toes and pointing fingers....If you can think of a better option for me Im all ears....

• Like 1

^^ The initial setup costs to make an OPS would be pretty big then theres pattern designs, testing, evaluation and also to compete in the market there will need to be LOTS of reasearch in to materials and geometry of the sticks which costs big $

However, when you are sitting on say 500 pieces (just throwing out a number), that are paid for upfront, instead of the 1-2 dozen you ordered from Jason, I think things might be a little different. I'm not sure how many 1pc sticks you sell in a year, but, 500 is almost a stick and a half to sell per day.

Too true, SRI, too true. As much garage can attest.... :D

I feel sorry for a lot of the people that buy something really important like a skate from online stores.

When I recently bought my Bauer 8000, I used the ePuck sizing tool to estimate what size I would need based on my shoe size. It told me I wore a Bauer 9, which is what I would have ordered from the web.

When I went to my LHS, the guy measured my foot and I told him I should wear a 9 in a Bauer, so he brought me out a 9 like I asked and the 9.5 which he thought would fit better. I tried them both on; now I own a pair of 9.5 and won't ever think of buying skates online again.

I agree with other happy MSHers though - there are people that will buy online for whatever reason, but having spent a little time on these boards I'm way more inclined to give as much business as I can to my LHS because you guys are willing to give up advice when you don't know me from a hole in the ground. Pay it forward, I say!

I've got friends who recently bought skates of E-bay but used their LHS to try the skates on first to see if they liked them or not. Turns out that they saved about 400$ Cnd for XXX's. Now I personally think that it is not fair for the LHS owner as he provided a service but did not get any rewards. I think it sucks for the LHS. However, you can't blame the customer much either as he's saving a lot of money. It's almost as if he would have went to his favorite LHS and tried to skates on, liked them but saw the 800$ and said.. Let me think about and I'll also keep shopping around. Then he gets to his favorite LHS competitor a few miles away and gets in the store, spots the skates and to his suprise, the LHS is having a 50% off sale. He picks them up there and wammo he got his skates half price and visited a LHS. Often, for a customer, service is next to no value when you can get the same product cheaper elsewhere.. before the sale anyway. But once the sale is done and that customer ends up having all sorts of problems with his product, for some reason customer service now becomes very important and often the LHS down the road has good prices but not service. If you buy your gear off E-bay, it's even worse. If you bought your skates brand new and they break in the first month, tough luck buddy, pay another 400$ to buy a new pair of skates or pay to have them fixed.

I deal pretty much with the same LHS all the time and he usually gives me a tax break or a deal of some sort when I buy equipment. I still end up paying more at his store than off E-Bay or all of the hockey monkeys of the world but I get first class service when I need something or have a problem. The LHS have much more overhead than an online store may have has they have to run a store, pay rent, utilities etc., pay staff and often need to carry at least so many items of a line of product from any given company.. and they have to make a profit if they want to stay in business. If you want to use E-bay and all the online stores, go ahead but at least you should be man/woman enough not take advantage of your LHS by trying and fitting your gear at his store, using his staff and then end up double crossing him by buying online to save a few bucks or more. IMO if you want to buy online, buy at your own risk and hope that the gear will fit you like you expected. It's only common courtesy IMO.

I've got friends who recently bought skates of E-bay but used their LHS to try the skates on first to see if they liked them or not.  Turns out that they saved about 400$ Cnd for XXX's.  Now I personally think that it is not fair for the LHS owner as he provided a service but did not get any rewards.  I think it sucks for the LHS.  However, you can't blame the customer much either as he's saving a lot of money.  It's almost as if he would have went to his favorite LHS and tried to skates on, liked them but saw the 800$ and said.. Let me think about and I'll also keep shopping around.  Then he gets to his favorite LHS competitor a few miles away and gets in the store, spots the skates and to his suprise, the LHS is having a 50% off sale.  He picks them up there and wammo he got his skates half price and visited a LHS.  Often, for a customer, service is next to no value when you can get the same product cheaper elsewhere.. before the sale anyway.  But once the sale is done and that customer ends up having all sorts of problems with his product, for some reason customer service now becomes very important and often the LHS down the road has good prices but not service.  If you buy your gear off E-bay, it's even worse.  If you bought your skates brand new and they break in the first month, tough luck buddy, pay another 400$ to buy a new pair of skates or pay to have them fixed.

I deal pretty much with the same LHS all the time and he usually gives me a tax break or a deal of some sort when I buy equipment.  I still end up paying more at his store than off E-Bay or all of the hockey monkeys of the world but I get first class service when I need something or have a problem.  The LHS have much more overhead than an online store may have has they have to run a store, pay rent, utilities etc., pay staff and often need to carry at least so many items of a line of product from any given company.. and they have to make a profit if they want to stay in business.  If you want to use E-bay and all the online stores, go ahead but at least you should be man/woman enough not take advantage of your LHS by trying and fitting your gear at his store, using his staff and then end up double crossing him by buying online to save a few bucks or more.  IMO if you want to buy online, buy at your own risk and hope that the gear will fit you like you expected.  It's only common courtesy IMO.

This is why I don't believe that a "fitting fee" is unfair. As a store, you will IMMEDIATELY see who is there to buy and who is there to size and buy from eBay or the Internet stores.

Exactly and honnestly, I wouldn't mind the store charging me a fee if I went there to try out skates as long as he would take it off the skate's price when I'd make the purchase. If I decide to go elsewhere, tough banana, I lost my money. It's only fair. At some point in time people will wake up and see that you have to encourage your LHS or any other department/grocery store for that matter. These people hire others to work for them which in turn go out and buy some stuff at the grocery store who employs people etc. Online stores usually sell for less because there is next to no staff... and no service and they take sales away from your LHS which in turn my have to slack some staff or cut hours etc. Buying online is not evil but buying in a store that actually has employees to help you and all is what's best for the economy in my mind... but I digress :D

Just throwing this out there:

But has anyone really thought about the things you've bought or stayed away from as a result of a referral from this site, and how you might have saved money on skates as i did, or found a similar stick to what you currently use on close out, for me I've easily saved $500 in "bad" purchases thanks to MSH.

And for that i sent an email to one of my LHS's asking them if they know about this site and the valuable information it puts forth. It has increased my purchases as i can easily see a great deal from a quarter mile away.

Well thats my thank you to MSH.

Explain this to me jimmy, how is someone who lives nowhere near a quality pro shop going to get good solid info on products? Am I suppose to take a plane ride for $300 to buy a $300 pair of skates or spend airfare to go pick up a few items of equipment? Or since I dont live in a "hockey hotbed" Im not suppose to get quality equipment or be able to play at all?...Is it my fault that there are no shops where I live and Im just suppose to find this info out on my own? Oh wait, finding out on my own would mean Id have to find a "helpful" hockey website with alot of great and knowledgeable people!!! But I cant do that cause then Id just have to take that knowledge and buy online...No I cant do that, Ill plop down my $300 for a plane ticket and head up to your shop to spend a couple hundred on equipment and then get home and not have any money to pay for a league to play in, but at least youll have that little profit to pay your light bill.....I think your view of the "macro" hockey world is a little more "micro" than you really understand....Just because you live and work somewhere with a hockey shop dosent mean its like that all over the country....I feel what your sayin about supporting LHS, we had a shop where I live here for a little while and I was there every week buying this and that sometimes just spending what little money I could on stuff I really didnt need cause I thought it might help the guy stay in business, he eventully closed and Im back to having to get stuff online(only because I have no other options), but at least this site helps me make informend purchases...Although I guess in your thinking maybe I should just take a up another sport that I can make my purchases that support that LHS?...So see jimmy you need to sit back and look at your "macro" view and maybe strecth it out a bit more before you start stepping on toes and pointing fingers....If you can think of a better option for me Im all ears....

I agree with you, those who don't have LHS's nearby have a dillema. When I was in the military and stationed at god-forsaken places that had no LHS's, I had to rely on advice given by phone from a trusted LHS in another part of the country. We didn't have online and ebay stores. However for every one person like you who doesn't have a LHS nearby and is using the board for true need, there are 20 who are on these boards just to save a buck, no other reason. You don't have to believe me, on this board alone you will find many posts from folks, who admit scamming their LHS, trying stuff on and then buying from ebay or online. Perfect example is the post above. Until you've been scammed, you really don't know how it feels.

I agree with you, those who don't have LHS's nearby have a dillema. When I was in the military and stationed at god-forsaken places that had no LHS's, I had to rely on advice given by phone from a trusted LHS in another part of the country. We didn't have online and ebay stores. However for every one person like you who doesn't have a LHS nearby and is using the board for true need, there are 20 who are on these boards just to save a buck, no other reason. You don't have to believe me, on this board alone you will find many posts from folks, who admit scamming their LHS, trying stuff on and then buying from ebay or online. Perfect example is the post above. Until you've been scammed, you really don't know how it feels.

Jimmy... I don't claim to understand your world view... but I am a little confused.

To my eyes, the post you referred to supported and acknowkedged MSH for all of the useful product information that has helped them make good purchases, thus saving money. Here's the post:

But has anyone really thought about the things you've bought or stayed away from as a result of a referral from this site, and how you might have saved money on skates as i did, or found a similar stick to what you currently use on close out, for me I've easily saved $500 in "bad" purchases thanks to MSH.

And for that i sent an email to one of my LHS's asking them if they know about this site and the valuable information it puts forth. It has increased my purchases as i can easily see a great deal from a quarter mile away.

My business background suggests that the more informed my customer is... the easier it is to make the sale. Including up-selling, because they recognize the inherent value.

Your stand seems to be, and I may be confused by this, that it is "much better to keep everyone UNINFORMED, so that I, the LHS, am the only source of product information and they are forced to come to me". Your second stand seems to be: "An informed person will rip me off/scam me by going and buying the product somewhere else."

I am startled to hear wanting to save money is suddenly a bad thing. I spend between $5-7,000 a year on hockey and am very happy to save money along the way. I am also very happy to walk into the LHS armed with as much product information as possible - to be able to make informed decisions AND to balance mis-information, however well-meaning, from LHS staff.

I am puzzled by your approach as it seems novel to the service business: your customers and potential customers are the enemy who are about to, at any moment, scam you.

What is it that I'm not understanding here?

• Like 1

Hockeymom,

I don't expect you to understand. Business has changed quite a bit since the online and ebay explosion. We brick and mortor stores have service as an edge over the online stores. Service includes the ability to feel, see and try on equipment and get proper fitting and advice. There is a price to pay for that service, yet some want to have it both ways. You misquoted the post I was referring about, here's the correct one:

"I've got friends who recently bought skates of E-bay but used their LHS to try the skates on first to see if they liked them or not. Turns out that they saved about 400$ Cnd for XXX's. Now I personally think that it is not fair for the LHS owner as he provided a service but did not get any rewards. I think it sucks for the LHS. However, you can't blame the customer much either as he's saving a lot of money"

My customers are not the enemy as you suggest. I actually have a MSH link on my website and encourage customers to visit this and other boards to get as much info as they can.

Curious to know what your business is and what your internet competition is like.

^^ The initial setup costs to make an OPS would be pretty big then theres pattern designs, testing, evaluation and also to compete in the market there will need to be LOTS of reasearch in to materials and geometry of the sticks which costs big $

Completely false.

Thanks for that informative post SRI

What are the initial setup costs needed to make OPS's then?

And why arent 1,000's of new OPS companies popping up all over the world seeing as research machinery and materials are so "Cheap"?

Hockeymom,

I don't expect you to understand.  Business has changed quite a bit since the online and ebay explosion.  We brick and mortor stores have service as an edge over the online stores.  Service includes the ability to feel, see and try on equipment and get proper fitting and advice. There is a price to pay for that service, yet some want to have it both ways.  You misquoted the post I was referring about, here's the correct one:

"I've got friends who recently bought skates of E-bay but used their LHS to try the skates on first to see if they liked them or not. Turns out that they saved about 400$ Cnd for XXX's. Now I personally think that it is not fair for the LHS owner as he provided a service but did not get any rewards. I think it sucks for the LHS. However, you can't blame the customer much either as he's saving a lot of money"

My customers are not the enemy as you suggest.  I actually have a MSH link on my website and encourage customers to visit this and other boards to get as much info as they can. 

Curious to know what your business is and what your internet competition is like.

Jimmy: Actually, not to split hairs, I didn't misquote you, you mis-directed me to the "post above" rather than one 4 or 5 posts back. No wonder I was confused!

And I remain confused in that you direct your customers to MSH so they can get information, yet you have repeated several times in this thread that you don't believe MSH should be "giving away information for free" because it is "cutting our own throats".

As I said in my earlier post, from reading your comments in this thread...

"Your stand seems to be, and I may be confused by this, that it is "much better to keep everyone UNINFORMED, so that I, the LHS, am the only source of product information and they are forced to come to me".

Your second stand seems to be: "An informed person will rip me off/scam me by going and buying the product somewhere else.""

Certainly the industry faces many challenges, and arguably the entire industry has been very slow to change. We agree, I believe, that brick & mortor businesses must evolve or die. Where we differ, I think, is where and in what way. I believe that a well-informed customer IS your best customer. Of all people they recognize the inherent value of a well informed and well stocked LHS. There are other areas to change; but of course, I'm not going to discuss that here, because it would be giving it away for free!

Although I don't believe my business experience is relevant to the point, I'll satisfy your curiosity:

Yes, I have owned a business; I am very much aware of profit and loss statements.

I am now a marketing and advertising professor; I am well aware of the vast shifts in business practice and strategy as the world has transformed. And, just in case you subscribe to the adage "those that can, do: those that can't, teach" ... LOL, for many years I worked in advertising with experience in virtually every product and service category, (including both LHS and a hockey manufacturer) with a particular specialization in, and fondness for, retail. I have also developed business plans and strategies for on-line companies as well as developed strategies for retailers faced with stiff on-line and/or big box competition.

Edited by hockeymom

What are the initial setup costs needed to make OPS's then?

Initial setup costs depend upon if you are buying the product from an OEM or if you are opening your own factory from scratch. If you are buying OEM, the cost itself, per piece is relatively cheap. However, the downside to this is that there are minimums that you need to buy upfront, not knowing if it will sell or not. Also, the guys who are low-end are a dime a dozen. It's the guys that can build high-end product that are very tough to find.

And why arent 1,000's of new OPS companies popping up all over the world seeing as research machinery and materials are so "Cheap"?

As far as why there aren't more companies, well, look at the hockey industry. Roughly 75% (or possibly in the area of 80%) of the hockey business is owned by three companies (THC/Rbk, NBH and Easton), with the majority of the 25% being everyone else.

Out of the remaining 25%, Mission/ITECH probably owns the lion share of that, followed by what would be considered "niche" brands, such as TPS, Eagle, Warrior, Sherwood, Montreal, Vaughn, etc.

So question back to you...why spend the money to get into that game when the majority of the business is done with three companies?

I was thinking about the idea of opening up a factory and basically starting EVERYTHING from scratch i now see your point aswell thanks for clearing that up, i thought you meant making from scratch for example a company like Easton wouldn't cost alot to do

Is OEM Off existing manufacturer?

Hockeymom,

I don't expect you to understand.  Business has changed quite a bit since the online and ebay explosion.  We brick and mortor stores have service as an edge over the online stores.  Service includes the ability to feel, see and try on equipment and get proper fitting and advice. There is a price to pay for that service, yet some want to have it both ways.  You misquoted the post I was referring about, here's the correct one:

My customers are not the enemy as you suggest.  I actually have a MSH link on my website and encourage customers to visit this and other boards to get as much info as they can. 

Jimmy: Actually, not to split hairs, I didn't misquote you, you mis-directed me to the "post above" rather than one 4 or 5 posts back. No wonder I was confused!

And I remain confused in that you direct your customers to MSH so they can get information, yet you have repeated several times in this thread that you don't believe MSH should be "giving away information for free" because it is "cutting our own throats".

As I said in my earlier post, from reading your comments in this thread...

"Your stand seems to be, and I may be confused by this, that it is "much better to keep everyone UNINFORMED, so that I, the LHS, am the only source of product information and they are forced to come to me".

Your second stand seems to be: "An informed person will rip me off/scam me by going and buying the product somewhere else.""

Certainly the industry faces many challenges, and arguably the entire industry has been very slow to change. We agree, I believe, that brick & mortor businesses must evolve or die. Where we differ, I think, is where and in what way. I believe that a well-informed customer IS your best customer. Of all people they recognize the inherent value of a well informed and well stocked LHS. There are other areas to change; but of course, I'm not going to discuss that here, because it would be giving it away for free!

Although I don't believe my business experience is relevant to the point, I'll satisfy your curiosity:

Yes, I have owned a business; I am very much aware of profit and loss statements.

I am now a marketing and advertising professor; I am well aware of the vast shifts in business practice and strategy as the world has transformed. And, just in case you subscribe to the adage "those that can, do: those that can't, teach" ... LOL, for many years I worked in advertising with experience in virtually every product and service category, (including both LHS and a hockey manufacturer) with a particular specialization in, and fondness for, retail. I have also developed business plans and strategies for on-line companies as well as developed strategies for retailers faced with stiff on-line and/or big box competition.

I think your putting words in my mouth. I never said I want to keep customers MISINFORMED, that's your interpretation and your wording.. I have no problem ON THESE TYPE BOARDS, helping people find information about a product and do it quite often. Simply put, giving them exact instructions how to buy something on ebay or online is against my interests, and that of the local hockey stores in their area. I liken it to a auto mechanic or a doctor who worked hard learning his trade, then going on a board and posting info how to bypass their locals. The post I quoted is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. I notice you didn't have any comments about that, and that's fine. Well, got to go, I hear a guy at Coke is posting the secret recipe on a BB. :D

Jimmy, if you don't mind me asking, where are you located, or what is your store website. I wouldn't have any problem buying from any of the LHS workers here over hockeymonkey or the likes if they have my size etc. I don't buy top end gear, so I don't save a lot by going online. My LHS (I live in the washington dc area, actually in No VA, and my nearest rink is 30 minutes, and it does not have a pro shop, my nearest pro-shop is 45 minutes, and as I said in another thread, I buy gloves, sticks helmet etc there, and my last pair of skates, but they only carry bauer/ccm) does not have a huge inventory, but if I could buy from msh'ers I certainly would

Cheers

Jimmy, if you don't mind me asking, where are you located, or what is your store website. I wouldn't have any problem buying from any of the LHS workers here over hockeymonkey or the likes if they have my size etc. I don't buy top end gear, so I don't save a lot by going online. My LHS (I live in the washington dc area, actually in No VA, and my nearest rink is 30 minutes, and it does not have a pro shop, my nearest pro-shop is 45 minutes, and as I said in another thread, I buy gloves, sticks helmet etc there, and my last pair of skates, but they only carry bauer/ccm) does not have a huge inventory, but if I could buy from msh'ers I certainly would

Cheers

Hi,

I know your predicament, I use to live in Southern Maryland and play up in Mt Vernon. I don't recall any LHS's in the area, I did all my business with a LHS near my home town.

I really don't sell equipment like the online stores, I'm more of a local guy and really just sharpen skates my mail. Some MSHrs have asked me for stuff and I'm glad to help if their LHS doesn't have the product, but it's not something I want to get deep in to. I recommend you go to JR if you want something. This is his board, and from what many have said, he'll treat you right. If he can't then PM me and I'll see what I can do for you.

Hi,

I know your predicament, I use to live in Southern Maryland and play up in Mt Vernon. I don't recall any LHS's in the area, I did all my business with a LHS near my home town.

I really don't sell equipment like the online stores, I'm more of a local guy and really just sharpen skates my mail. Some MSHrs have asked me for stuff and I'm glad to help if their LHS doesn't have the product, but it's not something I want to get deep in to. I recommend you go to JR if you want something. This is his board, and from what many have said, he'll treat you right. If he can't then PM me and I'll see what I can do for you.

Understood, thanks. Mt. Vernon is my local (30 min) rink, they used to have a pro-shop across the road, but it moved to waldorf (I think) so my closest is in reston (45 minutes) and the guys are great, but the stock is limited.

I buy when I can, and I don't need skates, was just looking for mid level alternatives, to see if they fit me better

Thanks though

Hi,

I know your predicament, I use to live in Southern Maryland and play up in Mt Vernon.  I don't recall any LHS's in the area, I did all my business with a LHS near my home town.

I really don't sell equipment like the online stores, I'm more of a local guy and really just sharpen skates my mail.  Some MSHrs have asked me for stuff and I'm glad to help if their LHS doesn't have the product, but it's not something I want to get deep in to.  I recommend you go to JR if you want something.  This is his board, and from what many have said, he'll treat you right.  If he can't then PM me and I'll see what I can do for you.

Understood, thanks. Mt. Vernon is my local (30 min) rink, they used to have a pro-shop across the road, but it moved to waldorf (I think) so my closest is in reston (45 minutes) and the guys are great, but the stock is limited.

I buy when I can, and I don't need skates, was just looking for mid level alternatives, to see if they fit me better

Thanks though

really ashburn and laurel are the best shops in the DC area. Other then that you will end up with a limited stock of gear.

Hi,

I know your predicament, I use to live in Southern Maryland and play up in Mt Vernon.  I don't recall any LHS's in the area, I did all my business with a LHS near my home town.

I really don't sell equipment like the online stores, I'm more of a local guy and really just sharpen skates my mail.  Some MSHrs have asked me for stuff and I'm glad to help if their LHS doesn't have the product, but it's not something I want to get deep in to.  I recommend you go to JR if you want something.   This is his board, and from what many have said, he'll treat you right.  If he can't then PM me and I'll see what I can do for you.

Thanks though

really ashburn and laurel are the best shops in the DC area. Other then that you will end up with a limited stock of gear.

I have been to both ashburn and laurel, and while the selection is better they go from low to high end and leave out the middle.

I got my first pair of skates there, ccm 252's. Now they have the 292s, and 492s, then its the top end vector pros, xxx's.

I only need mid level gear, and its damn hard to come by in this area in my size (I wear 11.5 ccm skates). There is limited sizing, and the larger foot goes untended I have found. Laurel told me they could order my skates, but I had to pay for them even if they didn't fit. So what difference is it buying there and buying online?