Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
cougarscaptain87

Custom Skates / Ice to Inline Conversion

Ok thanks for your help, looking to do 3 pairs. Managed to get m3 tee nuts from eBay.

Will read that thread later on and have a look. They will all be Hilo. As much as the idea of straight is intriguing me to try, I'm not spending more money when I've got what I need.

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks for the heads up gosinger, I did search through this thread to find alignment tips but didint go back far enough! Thanks.

I just did my first conversion a month or so ago. I marked my center points on the heel and the toe cap and aligned the front and back wheel of the chassis that way. I basically just used my eye to align how far back i wanted the chassis to fit. Your skate size and wheel set up should specifically alter a conversion. I dont like my front wheel protruding too far out from my toe cap where you have a speed skate type look. Nor do i like having the back wheel sticking out much further than the front wheel. Without having knowledge like most of the guys on here, i would think that part is just personal preference. I have had no issues with mine simply by eyeing up where i wanted the wheels to sit and then i just used the 1st skate as a template on where to set the frame on the second boot.

I just did my first conversion a month or so ago. I marked my center points on the heel and the toe cap and aligned the front and back wheel of the chassis that way. I basically just used my eye to align how far back i wanted the chassis to fit. Your skate size and wheel set up should specifically alter a conversion. I don't like my front wheel protruding too far out from my toe cap where you have a speed skate type look. Nor do i like having the back wheel sticking out much further than the front wheel. Without having knowledge like most of the guys on here, i would think that part is just personal preference. I have had no issues with mine simply by eyeing up where i wanted the wheels to sit and then i just used the 1st skate as a template on where to set the frame on the second boot.

Especially if you're accustomed to ice hockey, you don't want to have that front wheel sticking out too far.

• Like 1

Especially if you're accustomed to ice hockey, you don't want to have that front wheel sticking out too far.

no, definitely not. A few games with that wheel sticking out and you'll probably be falling on your face when you go back to ice.

Ditto what Larry54 said. If you're used to being able to get over your toes like on ice, you don't want that front wheel sticking out too much. I don't really notice the rear wheel sticking out, but if the front wheel sticks out too much, it's a problem.

~petev

If anybody is interested in Labeda Movement frames, I have a couple of medium that are like new ($50 plus shipping for a set of 2 including axles, bolts, spacers, tool). They were removed from Alkali Shift skates. They are straight 80mm and the second wheel (from the front) recesses into the boot a bit. I also have several sets of 80mm 74A Labeda Dynasty III wheels ($40 plus shipping for a set of 8).

~petev

IMG_20150127_073814998.jpg

Edited by vavaroutsos
  • Like 1

I know this is the ice to inline thread, but how about an inline to ice post?

I wanted a 2nd set of ice skates and my XR5s aren't being used in the winter time so I went for it. They fit exactly like my x7.0's but have nicer tongues!

image_zpsxptus0kh.jpg

Mounted using clipped 3-pin #8-20 t-nuts and 1/2" long machine screws. I had to grind a few of the bolts shorter. 3/8 might have worked for all.

Tnuts installed in the roller chassis holes, too, so I can reinstall the hi-los again this spring.

• Like 2

Anybody have any long term review on the marsblade chassis? Thinking about getting one to mount on my Vapor XXV's for a ice to inline conversion. Want to know if they hold up to the wear and tear of playing in many games, and not just casual street use. Kind of a hefty price tag if they are going to break after playing games.

Looking to mount a hummer on my ice skates. Problem is in the UK I can't see tnuts anywhere online, and I'm also unsure of what material to make shims out of to create the clearance required.

Can anyone guide me in the right direction?

• Like 1

Looking to mount a hummer on my ice skates. Problem is in the UK I can't see tnuts anywhere online, and I'm also unsure of what material to make shims out of to create the clearance required.

Knights 15 in my personal opinion your best bet to get it done right is to contact a hockey shop and have them do it for you. I was in a situation where I negotiated my conversion completely over the phone. Yes it may cost a couple more bucks but it ends up being well worth it. I have done a few conversions in my day and know that if you don't know what your doing you could mess up a lot of things.

Anybody looking to part with their Red Star Hi-Lo chassis in size Medium? PM me if you are!

I also do a bunch of conversions so I have a ton of hardware and can send you everything you need to do conversions if you would like.

eBay mate for all the hardware. I've done one job. The best way to put it is a restoration/repair then a conversion but got all the gear from eBay. Incase you're wondering I'm from UK aswell. Using the 3mm bolts was fiddly though! Will have to upload the pictures I think. Need any more advice let me know and I can pass on wisdom from the guys on here!

eBay mate for all the hardware. I've done one job. The best way to put it is a restoration/repair then a conversion but got all the gear from eBay. Incase you're wondering I'm from UK aswell. Using the 3mm bolts was fiddly though! Will have to upload the pictures I think. Need any more advice let me know and I can pass on wisdom from the guys on here!

Cool can you tell me what I will need?

I have a bunch of hardware and can help you out. Let me know.

Have you seen the video on YouTube? I did a conversion of the measurements and they work out at M3.5 bolts so I used M3 although M4 might be better as they have bigger head.

You want to get m3/m4 captive tee-nuts plus m3/m4 bolts in both 10mm and 12mm. I got a few 14mm and 16mm in case others are just a little too short as I found. Also get flat washers.That's it really. Can get thread lock if you wish and it's upto you what bolt head you go for. I use a user called kayfast1 or kays fasteners on eBay. Never had a problem. Tee-nuts were someone else though.

Have a search on YouTube for the video.

Edited by skinni44

These are more of a restoration/repair then a conversion. The rear wheel broke off the chassis and I'm not looking for a top of the range pair, just a comfy pair and lets be honest they just don't make 'em like they used too! Always good to recycle aswell!

Skated on them and they felt good and solid. Thanks for all the advice. Onto the next one, just a case of getting hold of the chassis!

thq77ulma3ua23l5g.jpg

3j1279r9p8pyx644g.jpg

• Like 1

Just about to start my project, quick question, do vapor boots have any give in them? My chassis doesn't sit flush along the bottom and there is a gap, I take it it would pull together to meet the mounting plates?

Just finished my second pair of Marsblade skates, so I don't have to change the wheels twice a week for the different surfaces. Tried them for a bit in the parking lot, amazing feel right off the bat, and that is after 7 month of ice without any inline session :)

One100 with new Marsblade (very minor changes to the initial batch), will snap some pics once there is some light outside.

So having inspected my x7.0 outsole before fitting the chassis. The outer part of the outsole is significantly thicker than the the middle, where there is like a channel, where it is very thin. Problem is, a couple of the mounting holes would be on this thinner part. Will it still be strong enough to hold up?