Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
cougarscaptain87

Custom Skates / Ice to Inline Conversion

I'll be on wheels for the first time in 14 years.

Mounted to NXG, with heel lifts.

Looking good! Let me know what you think of the Addictions. A lot of tech has changed in the last 14 years as far as wheels go.

Nice! just got back on wheels after a 14 year absence myself, skating out of dumars?

Thank you! Yeah...absolutely. Been way too long.

Hey JR, how come you went with the all 80 setup? Just curious as to why. PS: they look great, makes me want to get my ONE90 converts out.

No idea...lol

Used to skate with all 76s back in the day. Going to give this a shot.

Probably because I was in the right place at the right time to get him one of our frames. But at that size skate, there is a serious advantage of going all 80s. Since the 2nd wheel is recessed into the boot, you still get a lot of the mobility of having smaller wheels in the front, while having a much larger contact patch which allows for faster speed while working less.

Probably because I was in the right place at the right time to get him one of our frames. But at that size skate, there is a serious advantage of going all 80s. Since the 2nd wheel is recessed into the boot, you still get a lot of the mobility of having smaller wheels in the front, while having a much larger contact patch which allows for faster speed while working less.

How do you mean the wheel recesses into the boot? Was there some custom work done to the outsole or does it just fit that way naturally with the heel lift?

It definitely looks like a good, close fit. I've never converted a pair myself, just curious!

You have to dremel out under the 2nd wheel to make the clearance for it. If you grab one of the Tours or Alkalis off the rack, you can see that they build it into the boot.

I just mounted marsblade onto my Vapors. Came from a HiLo set up on a pair of Mission AC4. Performance is MUCH better. Tighter turns, more agile, etc. Plus, if you play on ice often, it makes going back on to ice much easier.

ok this might sound like a dumb question, but what does thread locker do?

I mean, is it meant to be permanent, or is it so it holds at a certain point, but makes sure that your bolt doesn't get stuck?

I ask because I had my first few stuck bolt problems and had to dremel it out. (i use tnuts and bolts for my conversions) Would thread locker help in this case? Or would it make it even worse?

• Like 1

Loctite and the like basically act as a soft of lock so that the bolts don't turn in the axles causing it to loosen over the course of a game.

Loctite and the like basically act as a soft of lock so that the bolts don't turn in the axles causing it to loosen over the course of a game.

I kinda figured that, but as far as making sure the bolt doesn't get completely stuck, does it help at all? I see that some parts for rollerblades and holders already look like they have a bit of loctite brushed on so the bolt wont come loose, I wonder if this helps them not get stuck too (like Rollerblade bolts, and the bolt on the cxn holders).

Mako M8 with marsblade:

DIRE49n.jpg

I had to put a few extra large washers because the bottom of the tnut stuck out because the mako outsole is so thin. Looks a little weird but no big deal.

Edited by louierev07
  • Like 1

@louierev07: Awesome combination :)

Is it just the camera angle or is the frame mounted fairly far biased towards the back? I always had to skip the front two holes on the marsblade frame (size L on skates size 8-9) as they were too close to the end of the toe-cap.

@ Mikewhy

They definitely do. I compared my Vapors on Marsblades to my Mako's and my Vapors sat much higher up. So much so that after a few ice games, when I get back on the roller rink, it takes me like 10-15mins to adjust back to the height again. It's fairly aggressive I'd say, on par with the aggressive angle on my Mako's.

And Lou, how easy was it to keep the T nut's from spinning in the M8's? I'm thinking of picking up a used pair for roller (can't stand being in anything but my Mako's now) but I'm definitely concerned that those damn t nuts will just spin around endlessly like a few did on my Vapors.

I kinda figured that, but as far as making sure the bolt doesn't get completely stuck, does it help at all? I see that some parts for rollerblades and holders already look like they have a bit of loctite brushed on so the bolt wont come loose, I wonder if this helps them not get stuck too (like Rollerblade bolts, and the bolt on the cxn holders).

It would probably help more than it would hurt.

I do know that it helps with preventing corrosion between dissimilar metals, especially in vehicle/outdoor applications.

On your skates, it could prevent galling, which is probably why your bolt got stuck in your axle.

Before it dries/cures, it acts like a lubricant, so you get a slightly tighter fit with less friction between the mating faces of the screw threads (preventing galling).

@louierev07: Awesome combination :)

Is it just the camera angle or is the frame mounted fairly far biased towards the back? I always had to skip the front two holes on the marsblade frame (size L on skates size 8-9) as they were too close to the end of the toe-cap.

Might be very slightly towards the back - because I like a more aggressive stance, but there actually pretty centered.

I feel like marsblades have the boot super high off the ground

Not really, they might look that way because the small wheels, but they are defintey more aggresive - which is my biggest complaint about normal hilo or hummer chassis. That and the fact that the frotn wheel sticks out way to far to simulate an ice skate.

Heres a pic of my makos vs Hilo with a shim

LLWqHl9.jpgfU2GXCT.jpg:

I feel like mars blade only sits well on certain boots.

Depends. I think they are more like an actual tuuk holder than hilo, or sprungs. Which could make it fit better or worse for you. Mine basically lined up perfectly on my vapors exactly where my tuuk was. (size M marsblade, size 7.5D vapor)

The makos I actually had to dremel a bit off of the marsblades where the mako has that weird plastic bump running under the boot. But still they fit great.

@ Mikewhy

They definitely do. I compared my Vapors on Marsblades to my Mako's and my Vapors sat much higher up. So much so that after a few ice games, when I get back on the roller rink, it takes me like 10-15mins to adjust back to the height again. It's fairly aggressive I'd say, on par with the aggressive angle on my Mako's.

And Lou, how easy was it to keep the T nut's from spinning in the M8's? I'm thinking of picking up a used pair for roller (can't stand being in anything but my Mako's now) but I'm definitely concerned that those damn t nuts will just spin around endlessly like a few did on my Vapors.

I actually had trouble at first with the nuts spinning, but then I realized I just needed more washers because the head and nut were touching (even though I didnt think they were that close at first)

I used big washers that were large enough to fit over the outside of the tnut so I could tighten the bolt pretty good. Lemme know if you want me to show you if that sounded confusing.

It would probably help more than it would hurt.

I do know that it helps with preventing corrosion between dissimilar metals, especially in vehicle/outdoor applications.

On your skates, it could prevent galling, which is probably why your bolt got stuck in your axle.

Before it dries/cures, it acts like a lubricant, so you get a slightly tighter fit with less friction between the mating faces of the screw threads (preventing galling).

Cool. Thanks!

• Like 2