Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
cougarscaptain87

Custom Skates / Ice to Inline Conversion

I Just put My old RBK 11K ice boots into the shop to get the chassis put on from my brothers old Mission Axiom T9 (hi-lo).

Presuming all goes well the holes left over from the ice chassis and vent holes will they be a problem? do I need to plug them somehow?sure I read somewhere ( maybe here ) about sweat falling onto the wheels from the holes.

Edited by GQRDY
mistake

I have had several conversions done and have never plugged the holes or had issues with that. You're more likely to have wet spots from where people fall or if people spill drinks on the bench. Unless you're a very heavy sweater I highly doubt you'll have issues with a few old rivet holes.

• Like 2

Just finished these today. 1X LE, Magnesium Chassis, swiss bearings and Labeda Addiction Signature Wheels. Still debating whether to take a Sharpie to the blue parts on the chassis

ChZptbrWYAI5Wz8.jpg:large

• Like 4

Bauer 190 ice boot

Mission magnesium chassis

Full ceramic speed skating bearings (not just the balls)

Revision Steel wheels

Custom heel riser made from F1 racing grade machinable plastic

Mounted myself as far back and also offset (trained from RHI Bullfrogs equipment manager)

Yellow Superfeet insoles

6lrCt37.jpg

• Like 9

Q for anyone with a Graf boot conversion... any issues or things I should be aware of before taking the plunge?  Their 735 fit is by far the best I have found for me feet.  Want to convert a pair to Marsblades, but have seen/heard some horror stories about converting their boots, so am a bit leery.  Any help would be appreciated.

Easton Mako M8 Boot

Mission Magnesium Chassis

TCM Skateboards Outdoor Wheel and Bearing combo

Superfeet Carbon

Powerfeet Inserts

Conversion by Total Hockey (Thanks Jose)

Easton-Mako-Inlines_zpsh9a6upxs.jpg

After owning my Mako II's for the winter and putting on my non-Mako inlines this spring, I knew it had to be done. 

• Like 5

On 5/9/2016 at 9:59 AM, krisdrum said:

Q for anyone with a Graf boot conversion... any issues or things I should be aware of before taking the plunge?  Their 735 fit is by far the best I have found for me feet.  Want to convert a pair to Marsblades, but have seen/heard some horror stories about converting their boots, so am a bit leery.  Any help would be appreciated.

I have a pair and havent had any issues at all.  They do have the plastic outsole that does not cover the entire boot and you are left with patches of carbon fiber cloth? on the bottom of the skate but personally i havent had any durability issues.  Perhaps you get a hole that doesnt line up on the plastic and you need to improvise a bit, but i think in the end you'll be fine.  If you search back a few pages there is probably a picture of my boot and the bottom of them look like they were exposed to a minefield.  I filled the holes with epoxy and have put on a marsblade since.  I've never had any issues thus far.  Im also a smaller player so if your 200+ perhaps problems could arise?  I dont know

3 minutes ago, caseyjones said:

I have a pair and havent had any issues at all.  They do have the plastic outsole that does not cover the entire boot and you are left with patches of carbon fiber cloth? on the bottom of the skate but personally i havent had any durability issues.  Perhaps you get a hole that doesnt line up on the plastic and you need to improvise a bit, but i think in the end you'll be fine.  If you search back a few pages there is probably a picture of my boot and the bottom of them look like they were exposed to a minefield.  I filled the holes with epoxy and have put on a marsblade since.  I've never had any issues thus far.  Im also a smaller player so if your 200+ perhaps problems could arise?  I dont know

Thanks.  Yep, I remember your conversion.  Looks good.  I was searching way back (2012 or so) and saw a few folks (including Kovalchuk71) stating they had issues.  Since some of the pairs I've been looking at are older (eBay), I wanted to do some further research and figure out if there was an era or construction method I should avoid.

And if it helps others, I am a relatively smaller guy, 5'6", probably 175 give or take.  

First set of inlines in 20 years. (On ice for 6 months for the first time ever!) First time conversion. Lots of firsts. But think I did pretty good for keeping it cheap to have fun with my kid in the street.

Supreme 160s

Labeda Hum'er Evictions

Labeda Asphalt 76mm

0z6IAV5.jpg

Future plans include MX3s with marsblade chassis.

Edited by no_safe_HAVEN
Pic link.
  • Like 2

Looking for opinions:

My right One95's heel is separating from the boot after about 6 months of conversion. I play 2-3 times a week and think its time to move on to something new. My Hi-Lo Magnesium chassis are fairly new and I am thinking about picking up a new pair of ice skates (for stiffer boot) and converting. Possibly supreme 180 or s170. I am picky about wheels so I feel like buying new roller skates would be a waste. What do you think? 

1 hour ago, InTeN5ITy said:

Looking for opinions:

My right One95's heel is separating from the boot after about 6 months of conversion. I play 2-3 times a week and think its time to move on to something new. My Hi-Lo Magnesium chassis are fairly new and I am thinking about picking up a new pair of ice skates (for stiffer boot) and converting. Possibly supreme 180 or s170. I am picky about wheels so I feel like buying new roller skates would be a waste. What do you think? 

I'd go 180 if you can find them. 

On August 12, 2016 at 10:24 AM, InTeN5ITy said:

Looking for opinions:

If money is no object I would def go 180.

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 10:24 AM, InTeN5ITy said:

Looking for opinions:

The Mission line is based on the Supreme last and a new line is being released in October. So you'll probably be able to pick up a pair of the higher end current Mission line on clearance in the next little while. You could then sell the wheels that came with the new boots as well as your old chassis and you'd save the cost of doing a conversion. The higher end Mission boots will be just as stiff as the Supreme 180 and also have some roller specific features like vents.

I'd only going the conversion route if you want a boot where there's no comparable fit in a stock inline skate (like the Easton Makos) or if you want to use a chassis that isn't available on a stock skate (Sprung or Marsblade). I have Sprungs on Makos; so the conversions made sense for me, but if I preferred a Hi-Lo chassis and Supreme fit I would've saved time and money and just looked for some Missions on sale and then replaced the wheels.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

The Mission line is based on the Supreme last and a new line is being released in October. So you'll probably be able to pick up a pair of the higher end current Mission line on clearance in the next little while. You could then sell the wheels that came with the new boots as well as your old chassis and you'd save the cost of doing a conversion. The higher end Mission boots will be just as stiff as the Supreme 180 and also have some roller specific features like vents.

I'd only going the conversion route if you want a boot where there's no comparable fit in a stock inline skate (like the Easton Makos) or if you want to use a chassis that isn't available on a stock skate (Sprung or Marsblade). I have Sprungs on Makos; so the conversions made sense for me, but if I preferred a Hi-Lo chassis and Supreme fit I would've saved time and money and just looked for some Missions on sale and then replaced the wheels.

The Bauer 180 skate is 299 on sale at most major sites. To get a Mission skate with Curve composite you would have to wait for the new NLS line and get either the 1 or the 2. NLS2 will be 600+ and NLS1 will be $800+ more than likely. To buy one of those skates to then have to replace the wheels with a full new set($110 for 8 Labeda Addictions) you'd be spending way more than converting an ice boot with an existing holder that he owns. 

39 minutes ago, Tyler Roy said:

The Bauer 180 skate is 299 on sale at most major sites. To get a Mission skate with Curve composite you would have to wait for the new NLS line and get either the 1 or the 2. NLS2 will be 600+ and NLS1 will be $800+ more than likely. To buy one of those skates to then have to replace the wheels with a full new set($110 for 8 Labeda Addictions) you'd be spending way more than converting an ice boot with an existing holder that he owns. 

It obviously depends on how much he values the curve composite and also what price he can find the older Inhaler skates for in his size. The higher end Inhaler skates from this line (DS1 and DS2) or even the previous line (AC1, AC2) will not have the curve, but they're still stiff high end boots. If he can pick up a pair of older high end inhalers for $400 or less I think that'll be the better value as they already come with the chassis mounted and he can sell his old chassis and the new wheels. I was assuming he'd use the wheels he currently has on his converted One95 skates since the wheel sizes would be the same.

Personally, I wouldn't be able to go either route as I'm addicted to both the Sprung Chassis and Mako style boots, however; I think it might be possible to find sub $400 high end Mission Inhalers in the coming months that will fit similar to Supremes and still be good skates even though they don't have the curve material. I agree that if curve is a must then grabbing the 180s for $299 makes more sense as the new NLS1 line will not be on sale any time soon.

Thanks for the input. To be honest, I am looking for a boot w/ curve composite. Mainly because my One95s lasted so song and I played ALOT of hockey in them. I have actually been using the Mission Inhaler DS4's over the past couple of weeks. They are not bad, just worry about wear and tear. Will most likely pick up a pair of Supreme 180's and convert.

Side note: I am intrigued by the new Tour skate (Code 1). Just don't know if I could do non high-low.

Edited by InTeN5ITy

Yeah, the Verbero's are a great value if they fit you well - that's of course the gamble as there isn't really anywhere to try them on. Someone I know has a pair and I felt and tried them on - they're the stiffest boots I've ever felt in my life and they're also pretty light. The pair I tried on were about a half size too long for me, but even though they were D width skates and I have very wide forefeet they felt comfortable in the forefoot area, however; the heel also felt a little too wide for me as I have a narrowish heel. Keep in mind, they were baked to someone elses feet and they were not my size - those are simply my general observations from briefly holding them and trying them on.

It is cool that you can by the undrilled boot separately and then put any chassis you want on them. I did briefly think about picking up a pair myself, but I'm not sure they'd lock in my heel as well or fit me as well overall as the Easton Makos do; so I've just stockpiled a few pairs of clearance Mako skates (the first Gen Mako wasn't very durable, but the second gen models seem like they'll hold up much better).

• Like 1

I am tempted to try them, especially because they are on sale. Weird how the description of the pro boot and inline boot is the same. might have to shoot them an email. 

Again, appreciate the help and input. 

Finally got my inline conversion done. Bauer Supreme 7000 with Mission Aluminum Vanguard chassis.

IMG_1583.jpg

Edited by Bakum
  • Like 2